View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Recovery + Meet Planning, Sept. 28

Rate this Entry
by , September 28th, 2009 at 10:28 PM (2761 Views)
Did a fairly brief recovery type workout. Not quite up to cranking it all the way up today. I'd like to have a boring October; I feel like June-Sept were just crazed.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick, drill

Main set:

40 x 50s, done as

1-10 = breaststroke kick @ 1:05
11-20 = breaststroke pull @ 1:00
21-30 = 25 easy speed fly + 25 easy @ 1:00
31-40 = 25 UW shooter on back (no fins) + 25 easy @ 1:10

150 EZ

Total: 2900

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meet Plans for 2009-10:

I need to sort out my meet schedules for the rest of the year. Right now, I am planning on the Sprint Classic on Oct. 25 (which I wish was a week later), the Thanksgiving SCM meet at the Freedom Center (though it's not on the PV masters schedule yet ...) and a day or two at CZ SCM Zones in Flushing Meadow NY. The last two are back-to-back meets, which gives me pause. I'd like to see the order of events for these meets, so I can figure out what is doable.

I've already swum the 100 back and 100 fly in SCM this year, so I would prefer to focus on/be able to enter without huge timing issues the 4 50s and the 100 IM in SCM. And possibly do the 100 back again. I wish there was another yards meet in 2009 where I could swim the 100 IM before the likely suit ban is imposed, but I may not get around to that as I'm swimming the 4 50s at the Sprint Classic. The Sprint Classic will be my official 5th anniversary as a competitive masters swimmer. My very first swim as a masters swimmer was the 100 IM at that meet back in 2005 in a speedo endurance tank.

Ande has suggested that I train like Cameron VDB: http://www.casttv.com/video/2tdv76/m...-18-2009-video

I actually haven't watched the video yet. But I understand he has little pool time (4x a week) and mega gym today. Edit: Watched it. He seemed a little vague about the water time, referring to 3-400 recovery swims and then "high speed drills."

This might be a good course of action for the next 6 weeks until taper time. I'm kind of done with aerobic work for a bit, though I'll get some at my usual Sunday am team practice. I'm thinking that's plenty right now ...

2010:

My coach told me on Sunday that GMU was awarded the CZ meet again in April. Great news! This might be my taper meet for SCY, though the relays really complicate that effort. (I'm not planning a Feb. taper this year.) I'm just leery of mentioning the words "travel meet" (i.e., Atlanta) yet. It's too soon after a long Nats vaca at Indy. But I'm not planning on Puerto Rico, so it's a possibility.

In terms of LC meets, and looking way ahead, if we don't have a LC meet in PV (or even if we do), I might opt to go to New England LC Champs in June. I guess it depends where they are ... last summer, they were at an excellent pool at Middlebury. This has the advantage of leaving July and August, which are cluttered with swim meets and vacations, free of training and taper worry. I'd probably only go to this meet if I skipped Atlanta. Have to mull the options over, and what makes the most sense for the fam.

Jimby:

Jimby has now been in the woods since Friday. Poolraat skart me with talk of bears. I just hope he makes it out of the woods intact on Wed or Thurs as planned.

Suit:

Ordered a new suit today:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/11289.htm

There were no Pros in my size and only 3 TYR suits left in my size (at least at swimoutlet). I expect companies have been flooded by USA-S orders.

Submit "Recovery + Meet Planning, Sept. 28" to Digg Submit "Recovery + Meet Planning, Sept. 28" to del.icio.us Submit "Recovery + Meet Planning, Sept. 28" to StumbleUpon Submit "Recovery + Meet Planning, Sept. 28" to Google

Updated September 29th, 2009 at 10:54 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I hope that the Freedom Center meet happens but Allison said that the meet wasn't submitted for sanction or whatever yet. Well, based on what was submitted for the SCM Zones, the meet will only be Saturday and Sunday with an afternoon distance session.

Middlebury is a fast pool? New England LCM Champs are always at Middlebury!

My only issue with Altanta is that it is late May. Ah, I would like to be in LCM mode competition wise by that time. We will see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I hope that the Freedom Center meet happens but Allison said that the meet wasn't submitted for sanction or whatever yet. Well, based on what was submitted for the SCM Zones, the meet will only be Saturday and Sunday with an afternoon distance session.

Middlebury is a fast pool? New England LCM Champs are always at Middlebury!

My only issue with Altanta is that it is late May. Ah, I would like to be in LCM mode competition wise by that time. We will see what happens.
    Did Alison just say this at the Fall Ball? Darn, I thought it had been submitted for sanction ...

I heard the Middlebury pool was brand new and fast.

Late May is hard going for me as well. That's right when summer swim season is about to gear up.
    Hi Fort! Will that Tyr suit be legal in 2010. I guess it doesn't have a zipper.
    I hope jimby leaves the bears alone too! I bet it's cold and scary up in the woods! I'm sure there will be some excellent stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Hi Fort! Will that Tyr suit be legal in 2010. I guess it doesn't have a zipper.
    I hope jimby leaves the bears alone too! I bet it's cold and scary up in the woods! I'm sure there will be some excellent stories.
    The TYR suit and the Speedo Pro kneeskin are legal. But I don't think there are many of them, at least judging from the paucity of them on that site! I'm sure people will be scrambling to grab legal suits. We may not need them until Jan. or possibly later, and maybe something else will have come out between now and then or supplies will have been replenished. But I'm not the waiting sort! Besides, my kid can use the suit too. If USMS is really going to follow FINA, the zippers will likely be out ... could be a real shocker for the men. I just hope it doesn't keep anyone from competing.

I've also heard the TYR is slightly more durable than the FS Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Did Alison just say this at the Fall Ball? Darn, I thought it had been submitted for sanction ...
    Yeah! As of Saturday, nothing has been submitted. Maybe she will hear something this week or something will be submitted. ? ? ?
    Hey Fort -

Where do you all stay when you race at Flushing Meadow, NY???
    Ahelee
    A. Is the Speedo Kneeskin Pro the Fastskin with the panels? I was wondering if mine is legal...
    B. I was considering the Flushing Meadows meet too.
    C. Middlebury pool is beautiful. I went to the meet this year. Not nearly as large a meet as NE SCM or SCY but some fast people there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn
    Hey Fort -

Where do you all stay when you race at Flushing Meadow, NY???
    Ahelee
    Hey Ahelee,

I don't know! I've never raced there. I assume they'll list hotels on the meet announcement form. Rob (RTodd) and Quick would probably know. I know Rob has competed there.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimmerGirlKT
    A. Is the Speedo Kneeskin Pro the Fastskin with the panels? I was wondering if mine is legal...
    B. I was considering the Flushing Meadows meet too.
    C. Middlebury pool is beautiful. I went to the meet this year. Not nearly as large a meet as NE SCM or SCY but some fast people there.
    The Pro has no panels. Are you thinking of the LZR with the neoprene panels?

Here's the Pro: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7135.htm

LC meets always seem to be less populated than SC meets. I saw there were some fast people there, including a real speedster in my age group.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Yeah! As of Saturday, nothing has been submitted. Maybe she will hear something this week or something will be submitted. ? ? ?
    Grrr ... and here I thought we would finally have a SCM fall meet in PV. We're such a large LMSC ... you'd think we'd have more meets ... I guess one needs to live on the west coast for SCM!
    My fastskin is 2 colors...with the sharkskin down the front and regular lycra? on the sides. No neoprene...

Re Middlebury...this Canadian woman was as fast as the guys in the 1500! Your age group, I think!!
    My fastskin is 2 colors...with the sharkskin down the front and regular lycra? on the sides. No neoprene...

Re Middlebury...this Canadian woman was as fast as the guys in the 1500! Your age group, I think!!
    If it's two colors, it's probably an FS II. I'm not entirely sure those are legal ... I think so, as long as there's no zipper. You'd have to "ask ande." lol

Yes, wasn't it Lynn Marshall or someone unbelievably fast? I'd have to check the results to be sure of the name. Also, Mary Estabrook is very fast and she was there posting some speedy times.
    Updated September 29th, 2009 at 09:21 AM by The Fortress
    I am confused by the time warp...
    I love the new monofin.
    Yes, Lynn Marshall and Mary Estabrook.

Hopefully Ande reads your blog?!
    I found this list; hopefully still good:

http://blog.djsports.com/2009/07/27/...legal-in-2010/
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I love the new monofin.
    very haughty and pure, don't you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I am confused by the time warp...
    That's what I get for blogging late at night when I'm brain dead ... Fixed!
    I found this list; hopefully still good:

http://blog.djsports.com/2009/07/27/...legal-in-2010/
    Looks legal. I assumed it would qualify as a "textile."

I think Ande does read my blog, but somewhat sporadically. I'll have to ask him! lol

He does have a separate "Ask Ande" thread on the discussion forum for people to ask him questions.
    BTW, why did they shut down his other blog thingy? Is there a story there?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast