View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Blasted, Thursday, Oct. 1

Rate this Entry
Lovely! Woke up this morning and everything (well, except my head, ankles and knees) was sore. I guess 5 x 5 heavy weight is rather hard ... Probably should have eased into the weights more, but I ain't got time for that patience stuff with my current plan.

Instead of hitting the gym again today, I had a lunchtime swim with Pete at Mason. We had planned an AFAP 100 lactate set -- it's good to have company and someone to race for those. I must admit my stomach was a little queasy afterward ... Anyway, here's how it went:

SCY @ GMU w/Speedo:

Warm up:

900 variety swim, kick, drill

Shooters:

10 x 50 @ whatever, done as:
25 UW shooter + 25 EZ DAB
1-6, no fins (2 back, 2 belly, 2 back)
7-10, fast w/fins (3 back, 1 belly -- I'm almost a second faster on my back)

50 EZ (during Pete's "nature break" )

Lacate set:

3 x (100 AFAP + 200 EZ) @ 6:30-7:00 (estimate)

I did the 100s backstroke with fins, which matched up well with Pete swimming free. Gawd, these hurt.

Went 53 low, 53 mid, 54 low.

I had to summon some extra energy on the 4th length of the 3rd one so Pete didn't catch me. These times are significantly faster than a set of 5 x 100 back w/fins I did on May 20. In that set, I held 57-58s. I was shocked when I saw a 53 on the clock on the first one. I'm assuming I was so much faster because I had Pete pushing me and because I stayed under water longer (from what I can recall) than in May. I took at least 10 SDK on each length (my guess: 13-14, 12, 10-11, 10 per 25). Maybe GMU is slightly faster than the other pool I typically train in solo -- though I always swim in the deep end there too. Edit: checked my blog again. I lifted weights the am before my May lactate set. That could have made some difference, as I did weights yesterday before this set instead.

200 EZ

Total: 2550

15 minutes in hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saw Mike aka the "Cage Fighter" at the pool swimming and kicking. He looks like he's lost weight from the Wardian distance workouts I always skip.

Hoping to go to hot yoga at 10:00 am tomorrow and, after a rest, do some explosive lifting in the PM. I hope Hulk is right and that I won't be toast after the yoga. After the last 3 days of training, I could use a good tonight!

Here's a nice little video of how I am currently swimming: Sip gatorade, quick dunk in the water, and repeat at leisure.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW_-oyAldfo&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Cat Under Sink[/ame]

Submit "Blasted, Thursday, Oct. 1" to Digg Submit "Blasted, Thursday, Oct. 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Blasted, Thursday, Oct. 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blasted, Thursday, Oct. 1" to Google

Updated October 1st, 2009 at 09:28 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Test Sets

Comments

That cat is too much. Probably some cotton mouth from all that home-grown catnip by the sink.
    I love the cat.

5x5 is hard? huh

My wife totally freaked when she saw your times She calmed down after realizing it was with fins... some.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    My wife totally freaked when she saw your times She calmed down after realizing it was with fins... some.
    I kinda freaked when I saw my first 100 time too. Fastest 100 I've ever done with the exception of a 100 monofin, which is a different animal than regular fins. Maybe I ought to work my next 100 back at a meet more. lol Or arrange for Pete to swim next to me.
    Then we both faded on the 100s- do we need more rest next time? I know I could have used some to really do them AFAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Then we both faded on the 100s- do we need more rest next time? I know I could have used some to really do them AFAP.
    Maybe more rest.

What do you think we did them on, 8:00? I wasn't paying too much attention. I've read that Natalie Coughlin did sets of 100s on 12:00.
    I'd guess the 200 active rests were 4:00, and had maybe 1:30 resting at the wall, plus the actual AFAP, so based on that we did them on 6:30 or maybe 7:00?
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    I'd guess the 200 active rests were 4:00, and had maybe 1:30 resting at the wall, plus the actual AFAP, so based on that we did them on 6:30 or maybe 7:00?
    That's probably about right. It didn't seem like more time than than had passed on the clock from start to finish.
    Really enjoyed the video.

I don't who's times were more impressive.

You both deserve speeding tickets.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Really enjoyed the video.
    That's because the kitty looks like you (except less active).
    you're probably right.

now where was I ?...7,486,321 or 7,486,322?
    That's a cool cat video! My cats love the sink too! They think it's magic.
    Great workout Fort! I bet you guys scared all the noodlers out of the water with that kind of speed!
    When is your next meet? I can't wait to see how you do!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    That's a cool cat video! My cats love the sink too! They think it's magic.
    Great workout Fort! I bet you guys scared all the noodlers out of the water with that kind of speed!
    When is your next meet? I can't wait to see how you do!
    No noodlers at Mason! We had a 60+ master swimmer, our teammate the cage fighter, an aspiring masters swimmer and a wicked fast OW chick in the water with us. We just blended in. lol

My next meet is the Sprint Classic at GMU on Oct. 25. My team hosts! And we have the Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters, which is always fun. Not swimming the 100 back there though ...
    You have a cage fighter who swims? That is an interesting combination. Maybe he should fight a crocodile!
    The crocodile couldn't catch you and speedo!!!!
    You have a cage fighter who swims? That is an interesting combination. Maybe he should fight a crocodile!
    The crocodile couldn't catch you and speedo!!!!
    Oh, he's not a real cage fighter. That's just what Pete called him when he met/saw him for the first time. He's a very tall, very fit guy about to swim his first masters meet at the Sprint Classic.
    Oh shoot, a cage fighter could have made for some interesting blogs!
    Oh shoot, a cage fighter could have made for some interesting blogs!
    True! But we have Jimby's vlog for that. I'm sure the upcoming wilderness tales will be "interesting."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Oh, he's not a real cage fighter. That's just what Pete called him when he met/saw him for the first time. He's a very tall, very fit guy about to swim his first masters meet at the Sprint Classic.
    Can you get a picture of him next to Jazz, so Jazz looks fat? Please....

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Can you get a picture of him next to Jazz, so Jazz looks fat? Please....

Hahaha. Jazz already feels like his muscles are wasting away. That will really make him paranoid.

Maybe Jazz will come join us for one of our Thursday lunchtime speed sessions ...