View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Hot, hot, hot!, Friday, Oct. 2

Rate this Entry
AM: Hot Yoga:

As promised, I made it to my first hot yoga class. I think I liked it better than other yoga I've done -- you can get really flexy when you're so hot. But it was really really hot those last 30 minutes, and the 90 minute class went long. I'm fair skinned and my face was bright red. Next time, I'm bringing more water and putting ice in it. G2 was definitely not the right thing to bring to class.

In general, I'm pretty flexible, but my balance isn't the greatest compared to the real yogis. I was told it burned 1,000 calories, which seems like a lot. You definitely lose a lot of water weight; I was drenched! I can't believe some yogis do this 2x a day ...

PM: Weights

Didn't get in as long a session in as I had hoped -- too many errands and chatting with an old friend at the gym. But I did manage this:

leg press, 270 x 3 x 10 (fast)
bench press, 70 x 1 x 8 (fast), 60 x 2 x 8 (fast)
tricep press, 45 x 3 x 10 (fast)

yates row (first time I'd ever done it, had to play around with the weight), 95 x 1 x 20, 115 x 1 x 10, 135 x 1 x 10, 145 x 1 x 8
internal and external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15 each arm
lunges w/20 lb DBs, 2 x 15

hanging reverse crunches, 3 x 15
straight leg raises lifting hips off bench, 2 x 15
dead bugs on bosu, 3 x 25 (much harder on the bosu, Pete. )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do think the yoga took some toll on the weights. I felt more tired than usual. I guess I'm just used to lifting weights first and in the am.

I have two GFs coming over tonight (can't go out have to babysit a coed teenage group, lol). Will definitely be drinking our fav buttery chard.

Submit "Hot, hot, hot!, Friday, Oct. 2" to Digg Submit "Hot, hot, hot!, Friday, Oct. 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Hot, hot, hot!, Friday, Oct. 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hot, hot, hot!, Friday, Oct. 2" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "dead bugs on bosu, 3 x 25 (much harder on the bosu, Pete. )"
    Hey, talk to Quick- He's my core guy.
    Enjoy the chard- I'm looking forward to a Sierra Nevada in about, oh, 20 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    "dead bugs on bosu, 3 x 25 (much harder on the bosu, Pete. )"
    Hey, talk to Quick- He's my core guy.
    Enjoy the chard- I'm looking forward to a Sierra Nevada in about, oh, 20 minutes.
    Quick's your core guy? He apparently keeps his core and weight workouts secret ...
    Quick's your core guy? He apparently keeps his core and weight workouts secret ..
    Not intentionally. Just never thought it was too blog worthy.

I've posted several links to the core essentials. Including an alternate use of Dara's medicine ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Not intentionally. Just never thought it was too blog worthy.

I've posted several links to the core essentials. Including an alternate use of Dara's medicine ball.
    I'm sure I looked at them and now I can't remember. What are you doing with Dara's med ball?

If core is the "be all and end all" of swimming, as Mr. Smith would have us believe, it's blog worthy!
    1000 calories per session, Man, I have to look into hot yoga in my area.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I'm sure I looked at them and now I can't remember. What are you doing with Dara's med ball?
    Quick's core workouts have theme music.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I'm clearly missing out. How could this escaped my type A attention? Must be the sprinter ADD.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    1000 calories per session, Man, I have to look into hot yoga in my area.
    That was my first thought too! Why bother with cardio when you burn calories and get flexy?

It's a real time burner though. 90 minute class plus the drive time. Not to mention all the time you have to spend gulping water before, during and after.
    lol, commented then read the blog again. Oops.

I doubt the 1k calories. Hard swimming is supposed to burn around 700 calories/hour iirc, so I don't see what you could do that would burn more calories during yoga.

I laugh at your short session. You short session makes my normal session look minuet!

How did you like the Yates Row? I don't like it as a strength builder because the range of motion is so small. I guess if the goal is to work the upper back only, great, but I would like to get an arm workout in too. An arm workout that works full range of motion before Jazz steps in and tells me my arms will kill
    What are you doing with Dara's med ball?
    Wouldn't you like to know.
    Which buttery chard is your favorite Fort?
    Have you ever had LaCrema? I like it and it's not terribly expensive.
    I have only taken "hot Yoga" one time. The gym policy was NO WATER during the class session. I think that's why I didn't like it. I took it directly after running. The drink I had before the class didn't go too far.
    Is jimby back yet?
    70's music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I have only taken "hot Yoga" one time. The gym policy was NO WATER during the class session. I think that's why I didn't like it. I took it directly after running. The drink I had before the class didn't go too far.
    Is jimby back yet?
    La Crema makes a nice Pinot Noir, but it needs to breath a little or be decanted as it has a effervescent mouth feel after first opening. Not bad, but kinda strange.

You know, just in case a red needs to be purchased by a Chard lover.
    Wouldn't you like to know.
    hahaha

Guess that didn't sound quite right. However, I dont keep secret what I'm doing with my yoga ball ...
    Q, I was extremely skeptical about the claim of 1000 calories too. But it is a long workout ... And there were a lot of skinny people in there! I felt like a tank!

The yates row seemed fine at the time, though my left shoulder is slightly twingey now. I guess, on balance, I'd like a fuller range of motion. Just trying to work on my weakish traps. I guess you're benching and (possibly now) doing pullovers instead?
    Updated October 2nd, 2009 at 07:35 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Is jimby back yet?
    The three of us having been drinking Sonoma Cutrer chard for years. It's our little tradition. La Crema is good too though.

I've chatted with Jimby on FB, so I know he's back. But he's been very quiet. I imagine he's assembling footage of his brush with death.

And, I can't even imagine doing a hot yoga class without water!
    Updated October 2nd, 2009 at 07:36 PM by The Fortress
    70's music.
    70's music.
    No Eagles, I hope ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    hahaha

Guess that didn't sound quite right. However, I dont keep secret what I'm doing with my yoga ball ...
    Well....since you asked... Aside from [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-VA2413RE-Dual-Ab-Wheel/dp/B0007IS74G/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_a/177-6906033-4609444"]the ab wheel[/ame]... for core and glute maximization...a great land training regiment requires an awakening of all the muscles. This Dara ball has been modified by means of a special handle. There you have it. No more secrets.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1_GlemJt04&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - World Record Oddball Training[/ame]
    Well....since you asked... Aside from the ab wheel... for core and glute maximization...a great land training regiment requires an awakening of all the muscles. This Dara ball has been modified by means of a special handle. There you have it. No more secrets.

YouTube - World Record Oddball Training

hahaha. I don't want that record!

I haven't ordered my ab roller yet. While I really feel like it hits the core the couple times I've tried it, I noticed in the article ranking core exercises I posted recently, it wasn't ranked very high. Still, it looks like a fun and useful toy. I wish they had them at my gym.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast