View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Weights - Am I going too easy?

Rate this Entry
by , October 4th, 2009 at 06:42 PM (865 Views)
A couple of years ago, I was having some aches in my back all the way from my neck down to my lower back. Going to the chiro and getting an adjustment and returning a few times seemed to really help. Also, at the suggestion of my vet, I went to see a guy about 80 miles away that specializes in testing for muscular imbalances. He put me on some equipment that gave these digital readouts that mean nothing to me. Anyway, he said I had a major imbalance between my chest and back. He said my back was 3 times stronger than my chest. So, he gave me some exercises some of which I have been good about doing while admittedly not being good about doing others. I think I have made progress on lessening the imbalance, but may still have a little ways to go.

I kind of wonder if I have been going too easy on my lat work. This is a strong area for me, but I think I am having a tendency to baby it after the soreness I felt a couple of years ago. Right now, I'm in basic maintenance because I've been doing more running than usual. Lifting heavy and running will completely break my body down, so I'm trying to just maintain on the weights for a couple of more weeks before moving into a heavier lifting phase. The last few weeks, I've been doing a couple of sets of 15 on the lat high row at 110. I did a max set today (maybe not completely max because I have been sick and didn't want to overdo it) on the lat high row. Based on what I did, I wonder if the 110 is too light. I also wonder at what weight I should be on sets of 10 or 8.

Here it the workout I did today:

Lat hi row: 90 x 3, 100 x 3, 110 x3, 120 x 3, 130 x 2, 140 x 2, 150 x 2, 160 x 1, 170 x 1, 180 x 1, 190 x 1, 200 x 1, 180 x 1, 160 x 1, 140 x 2, 120 x 3, 110 x 3, 90 x 3

Military press: 2 sets of 40 x 15
Triceps pull-downs: 2 sets of 40 x 15
Alt. hammer curls: 2 sets of 10 x 15

1 set of 15 push-ups with Bosu ball
1 set of 100 bicycles
2 sets of 25 crunches with med ball

Submit "Weights - Am I going too easy?" to Digg Submit "Weights - Am I going too easy?" to del.icio.us Submit "Weights - Am I going too easy?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Weights - Am I going too easy?" to Google

Updated October 4th, 2009 at 06:53 PM by elise526

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

When I was cranking before taking a break, I was doing sets of 8 on the hi row at 180. I'm sure you could do that too, as you're much stronger than me on the bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    When I was cranking before taking a break, I was doing sets of 8 on the hi row at 180. I'm sure you could do that too, as you're much stronger than me on the bench.
    No way could I do 8 at 180! You are much stronger than I! I might be able to do 150 or 160, but not 180.

I've seen your bench sets and I figured you were about the same. I think you are much stronger than I am in general. You and my sis strike me as pure mesomorphs - strong and powerful as h#*@. I've always considered myself a meso-ecto - strong, but not as much as a pure meso.
    Your program doesn't sound a bit easy to me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Your program doesn't sound a bit easy to me!
    Thanks, Bobinator. I just want to be sure I'm getting the most out of my dryland work as I think at this point in the game, it will be the thing that helps me improve in the water.
    I think 110 is too light for you if you are trying to gain strength. It is fine for maintaining where you are.

What I would do, using your 2x15 working set.
    - 5 reps warm up at 50lbs
    - 2-3 reps at 100lbs
    - 2x15 at X
    start X at 120 and increase by 10lbs until you can't do 2x15. That max(X) * .8 and start the progression over.

Your forearms will fail before your back doing high reps, unless you use straps. This should be fine for you, since you are trying to limit your back strength.

I like progressions as a safe way to find out what weights to lift. 10lbs is a lot of go up each time, so when you get to your max weight, the one you can't complete 2x15, you might want to add reps each week, and not consider it a failure until you can't add a rep. Dropping weight after failing allows you to recover and rebuild your confidence in your lifting, since you will go a couple weeks easily completing the workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I think 110 is too light for you if you are trying to gain strength. It is fine for maintaining where you are.

What I would do, using your 2x15 working set.
    - 5 reps warm up at 50lbs
    - 2-3 reps at 100lbs
    - 2x15 at X
    start X at 120 and increase by 10lbs until you can't do 2x15. That max(X) * .8 and start the progression over.

Your forearms will fail before your back doing high reps, unless you use straps. This should be fine for you, since you are trying to limit your back strength.

I like progressions as a safe way to find out what weights to lift. 10lbs is a lot of go up each time, so when you get to your max weight, the one you can't complete 2x15, you might want to add reps each week, and not consider it a failure until you can't add a rep. Dropping weight after failing allows you to recover and rebuild your confidence in your lifting, since you will go a couple weeks easily completing the workout.
    Thanks, qbrain! I will try this out on my next weight workout. To be sure I understand, with my first workout, I should do 2 sets of 15 at 120? Then for the next workouts, am I correct in understanding you to say that I should add ten pounds if I can easily do 2 sets of 15?
    Yep, add weight each workout until you can't do 2 sets of 15. See how you like that and you can make changes based on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Yep, add weight each workout until you can't do 2 sets of 15. See how you like that and you can make changes based on that.
    Thanks, qbrain! I'll start with 120 this week.