View RSS Feed

Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!

Wimping on Wednesday

Rate this Entry
by , October 7th, 2009 at 06:56 PM (271 Views)
I have been a wimpy swimmer since Big Shoulder's! I have been doing short practices, slower intervals, and taking more days off than normal. Some days I plan to swim, but when the time arrives I bag it.
I have had a sore neck since mid-July. I was training hard for Nationals (1500 meters) and the Big Shoulder's follow-up. The good thing is a) I reached my goals in the 1500 and 5K b) I had fun and got to meet many of our cool forumites! c) I've come to the realization that I HAVE TO bi-lateral breath at all times in practice! (oh, I realize I need to kick more too!)
When I bi-lateral breath on anything longer than a 150 I feel like I'm in oxygen debt. I guess the fact that I like distance repeats makes me seek the avoidance factor since I'm pretty good at forcing myself to do things I really don't want to do. I am hoping that a couple more weeks will put me in the comfort zone for longer swimming with bi-lateral. (sorry about this pitiful whining!)
Todays solo workout-venue LA Fitness:

*Warm-up 1,000 swim (alternating 200's swim/kick/pull/swim/kick)
*5 X 100 IM on 2:00
*5 X 200 Free on descending interval (4:00/7:45/11:15/14:30/17:30)
*12 X 50 on 1:00 (first six IM strokes, last six freestyle)
*very easy 100 backstroke cool-down
3,200 scy (I feel O2 deprived w/the breathing work

I'm going down to cook now. I'm feeling like doing some eggs/bacon/hashbrowns/and wheat toast......quick, painless, and tasty too!

Submit "Wimping  on Wednesday" to Digg Submit "Wimping  on Wednesday" to del.icio.us Submit "Wimping  on Wednesday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wimping  on Wednesday" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Breakfast food for dinner is always good.

I don't bilateral breath as in breathe every 3, but I breathe to both sides during my swims. Usually by doing 2 or more breaths on one side then switching to the other side.
    Maybe youbshould try a snorkel for practice or longer sets? Then, you don't even have to worry about breathing.

Swimmers always have tight scalines. Keep stretching!
    I think that it is ok to cut out after Big Shoulders. 5K in open water is pretty grueling. But, you are getting 3K workouts so at least, you are doing something.

The girl that won the 1500 at Worlds does a similar breathing pattern that Floyd stated. It might give you the bilateral affect you desire without going into oxygen debt.
    Quote Originally Posted by poolraat
    I don't bilateral breath as in breathe every 3, but I breathe to both sides during my swims. Usually by doing 2 or more breaths on one side then switching to the other side.
    Absolutely. I like a 3-2-2 pattern or even a 3-2-2-2. Right now in SCY, I'm experimenting with 2-2-3-2-2-2 per lap and that gives me lots of air plus enough balance to my stroke.
    Quote Originally Posted by poolraat
    Breakfast food for dinner is always good.

That's a good idea Floyd, I will try it. 3 is okay on 50's and a few 100's but I really start feeling panicy much past that in sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Maybe youbshould try a snorkel for practice or longer sets? Then, you don't even have to worry about breathing.

Swimmers always have tight scalines. Keep stretching!
    Thanks Fort, you know I bought a Finis snorkel a while back and I've never used it. Great idea. I'm going to go look for it and use it tomorrow!
    I am working on my left scapula non-stop. It is starting to drop and look even to the right. I think that's decent progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I think that it is ok to cut out after Big Shoulders. 5K in open water is pretty grueling. But, you are getting 3K workouts so at least, you are doing something.

The girl that won the 1500 at Worlds does a similar breathing pattern that Floyd stated. It might give you the bilateral affect you desire without going into oxygen debt.
    I think I may be a little burnt out.
    I will definitely try the breathing pattern floyd mentioned. I'm gonna try the snorkel too!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    Absolutely. I like a 3-2-2 pattern or even a 3-2-2-2. Right now in SCY, I'm experimenting with 2-2-3-2-2-2 per lap and that gives me lots of air plus enough balance to my stroke.
    Thanks Patrick! I will try the 3-2-2-2 tomorrow. I am a big oxygen hog and I'm tired of being deprived!
    My stroke does feel good and fast when I go every 3 breaths but much past a 50 or 75 is tough for me.