View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

I still swim...

Rate this Entry
by , October 7th, 2009 at 09:46 PM (472 Views)
Haven't done it this week yet, but I will swim tomorrow. Also, I will make a decision this weekend on whether I will go to meet in Atlanta in December. Also, plan to figure out what events I want to be focusing on for the next 6 or 7 months.

Run with Death Valley group today and did our usual 4 mile run full of of hills. It was a little warmish today and given that this is my third day in a row running, it didn't quite feel as easy to run 4 hilly miles as it did last week. Both of my legs in the upper thigh area are officially quite sore as I write this entry. Tomorrow's swim will be a nice change from the pounding on my poor body!

Been doing quite a bit of reading about size, weight, and mass as it relates to running performance. I will say, I saw a big exception today. One of the guys in our group, a former DIV I scholarship basketaball player who at 39 stands 6'4" and weighs 205 blasted up that hill past everybody, including a pretty wirey guy in our group who is about 5'9" and 140 to 150. We usually sprint the hills and go really easy in-between, so nobody was holding back. I should note that there are some in the group over 40 that run sub-20 minute 5ks. Nobody could catch this guy today.

Two guys I know that have enjoyed a long running career are not your typical super thin guys. Both are in their sixties, about 6 feet, and at least 170. One has been running 40 miles a week since the Vietnam War!

Submit "I still swim..." to Digg Submit "I still swim..." to Submit "I still swim..." to StumbleUpon Submit "I still swim..." to Google