View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Training for 500 free and 50 fly?

Rate this Entry
by , October 8th, 2009 at 09:31 PM (1177 Views)
Hit the age-group practice today for one of their easier workouts. I discovered on one set that my legs are completely shot from the running I did this week. Here is the workout:

Warm-up: 500 free
400 I.M. 25 kick/25 drill

4 x 100: 75 easy free, 25 fast IMO on 1:50

5 x 100 kick with fins on 1:30
50 easy
5 x 100 kick with fins on 1:20
50 easy
5 x 100 kick with fins on 1:10 (I was only able to make 2 of these as my legs were pretty dead. Not happy about this. I should have been able to manage this set.)
100 easy

2x through on the below set:

3 x 100 I.M. on 1:50
2 x 75 free on 1:30
2 x 50 kick on :55
2 x 25 easy on :45

500 pull

100 easy

4800 yards

My legs were not happy with me today. On the second round of 100 I.M.s, I got a terrible calf cramp. Haven't gotten one of those in nearly 12 years! After sipping some water, was able to resume the set with a pull buoy.

We had a visiting USA coach today. Really liked her workout. She remarked that I am most definitely not a freestyle sprinter. She told me that I have too much of a catch-up type stroke. She remarked that it will be very difficult to sprint with my type of stroke. She suggested the 500 or 1650.

Still love the 50 fly. Wonder if I can figure out how to train for both the 50 fly and 500 free at the same time.

Submit "Training for 500 free and 50 fly?" to Digg Submit "Training for 500 free and 50 fly?" to del.icio.us Submit "Training for 500 free and 50 fly?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Training for 500 free and 50 fly?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That kick set sounds dreadful for you after all that running! Between the running and fins, no wonder you got a cramp. I know from experience that they are the worst during a workout.

Your fly stroke could be well suited to fly sprinting and your free stroke to distance free. She Puff does both; you could too. Though training for the 500 sounds appalling to me. lol
    Swimming shortens the achilles (toe point) while running stretches it when you toe off. Your legs are probably confused from the combination and going on strike.
    You could try a quarter inch heel lift in your running shoes, it will take a bit of the pressure off your calves when you run.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    That kick set sounds dreadful for you after all that running! Between the running and fins, no wonder you got a cramp. I know from experience that they are the worst during a workout.

Your fly stroke could be well suited to fly sprinting and your free stroke to distance free. She Puff does both; you could too. Though training for the 500 sounds appalling to me. lol
    The kick set was most definitely dreadful. Haven't used the fins lately, so that didn't help either. The cramp was a bad one. I had to stop in the middle of the lane. Ugh. I hate to confess I forgot to bring something to drink while I was working out. Never again!

Not sure about wanting to train for the 500. I kind of wonder if because I haven't been swimming as much lately, I have reverted to my middle distance stroke. I'd like to think if I start training more consistently that I might be able to get my stroke into sprint mode. Don't know though. I've had many a coach make fun of my slow turnover on freestyle.

When I went to the Auburn Masters Swim Camp a few years ago, I got David Marsh to look at my strokes and tell me what he thought my stongest event would be. He said, "The 200 fly."

I think I can be up for a 500 free, but still not sure about the 200 fly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Swimming shortens the achilles (toe point) while running stretches it when you toe off. Your legs are probably confused from the combination and going on strike.
    You could try a quarter inch heel lift in your running shoes, it will take a bit of the pressure off your calves when you run.
    My calves sure weren't happy! May have to look into those heel lifts. Thanks a ton for the pointer!

Bobinator - I bet you were easily able to run 50 miles a week. I've just run 14 miles so far this week and I'm already dead!
    I can't do kick sets early in practice without getting cramps later on, usually in the arches of my feet. If we save kicks to the end, then I can't kick with any effort, but i still get cramps. I guess I am going to have to just build up my kicking powers. Are you using zoomers or faster fins? Zoomers are what I have, the blue ones, which are supposed to be easier than the orange ones, but I stil find them exhausting. You go faster, but it really makes you work. I don't think I could hold 1:30 100s with them.
    That is a good workout. I may have to steal it for a solo day.
    As far as I can tell, the 500 free and the 50 fly are the exact same distances, so it should be no problem to train for both.

I became a 200 freestyler because I wanted to be a sprinter, but had the stroke of a miler. Your stroke might be suited for distance, but swim what you enjoy. You can always work on increasing your turnover if sprinting is important to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    I can't do kick sets early in practice without getting cramps later on, usually in the arches of my feet. If we save kicks to the end, then I can't kick with any effort, but i still get cramps. I guess I am going to have to just build up my kicking powers. Are you using zoomers or faster fins? Zoomers are what I have, the blue ones, which are supposed to be easier than the orange ones, but I stil find them exhausting. You go faster, but it really makes you work. I don't think I could hold 1:30 100s with them.
    An interesting thing - the coach told me that she had a swimmer who had really bad problems with leg cramps. The swimmer discovered that ingesting packets of mustard during practice solved the problem. Don't know the secret behind the mustard, but maybe we should all give it a try.

On the kick sets, I was using Oceanic Caribe X fins. They are long fins.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    That is a good workout. I may have to steal it for a solo day.
    It was a very enjoyable workout and the best thing is that it goes by fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    As far as I can tell, the 500 free and the 50 fly are the exact same distances, so it should be no problem to train for both.

I became a 200 freestyler because I wanted to be a sprinter, but had the stroke of a miler. Your stroke might be suited for distance, but swim what you enjoy. You can always work on increasing your turnover if sprinting is important to you.
    The 200 free always seemed the hardest of the freestyle events to me. A true endurance sprint!

Any suggestions on drills that could help improve my turnover on freestyle?
    Not a drill but purchase a Tempo Trainer. But don't sacrifice stroke efficiency in search of faster turn over.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Not a drill but purchase a Tempo Trainer. But don't sacrifice stroke efficiency in search of faster turn over.
    I know I sound like an idiot, but what is a Tempo Trainer? Where can I find one and how much do they cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Any suggestions on drills that could help improve my turnover on freestyle?
    I just asked this question myself.

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15187"]Increasing turnover - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]
    I bought one that I keep in my bag--it is nice to have if you don't have pace clocks.
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3971.htm

There is a feature to set the trainer to beep for turnover--you can watch a video on how to set it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTzH4a-AZc"]YouTube - Tempo Trainer Waterproof Metronome[/ame]
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Thanks for the link. Very helpful info!
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    I bought one that I keep in my bag--it is nice to have if you don't have pace clocks.
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3971.htm

There is a feature to set the trainer to beep for turnover--you can watch a video on how to set it.

YouTube - Tempo Trainer Waterproof Metronome
    Wow! Thanks for this info. Sounds like something I definitely need to get!