View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Friday, Oct. 9

Rate this Entry
Hot Yoga:

I journeyed once again to the hot yoga studio at 10:00 am to be tortured by Insel. Insel apparently prefers his bikram yoga studio at 110+ degrees. It was at a comparatively balmy 105.8 degrees last Tuesday. That 5 degrees makes a huge difference! The last 20 minutes I just wanted to jump in an ice bath. I would have laid out serious cash for an icy drink; my water was hot by that time.

I've learned from yoga that I have weenie shin muscles. (This is apparent from plyos as well.) I am not nearly as flexy as the Sarah Jessica Park lookalike. I can't understand a word the instructors say in "yoga speak." There is definitely some aerobic work going on in there -- my heart is pounding when I'm barely doing anything. My back muscles, especially the mid back, feel nicely looser though!

Insel keeps telling me I "must" go more than 2x a week. I really don't see that happening ... I tried to explain that I had another obsession, but I got the glazed eye look when I mentioned masters swimming.

Drylands:

Core:

long arm crunches, 2 x 50
bicycles, 2 x 50
windshield wipers, 1 x 25
hanging reverse crunches, 3 x 15

Plyos:

box jacks w/med ball, 3 x 1
bunny hops, 2 x 10
squat jumps w/10 lb plate (you raise plate over the head as you jump), 2 x 10

(I liked all 3 of these plyos. I tried the "dance move" plyo I posted a link to before (step back, twist w/plate and jump -- too damn complicated, blech.)

Explosive weights+:

leg press, 290 x 2 x 10
bench press, 60 x 2 x 10
narrow grip seated row, 80 x 2 x 10
rack chins, 3 x 15
shoulder shrugs, 15 x 2 x 15, forward & back

RC:

seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
internal and external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
scapular wall slides, 2 x 25

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I still prefer doing weights before yoga (like I did Tuesday) than yoga before weights. I may have to pick a different day.

Looking forward to an off day tomorrow and a bit of a lie in. Nothing scheduled until soccer at 11:00 am tomorrow. Well, and then there's the homecoming festivities. My son is at a cross country Invitational, so he's missing out. But outfitting a teenage girl seems to be an expensive and time consuming proposition ...

Week tally (6 days):

4 x swim
3 x gym
2 x yoga

Submit "Friday, Oct. 9" to Digg Submit "Friday, Oct. 9" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, Oct. 9" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, Oct. 9" to Google

Updated October 9th, 2009 at 10:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga

Comments

No one seems to understand anyone's obsessions but their own.

I love that you can do explosive leg press at 290.

Enjoy you day off.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I love that you can do explosive leg press at 290.
    I read somewhere long ago that one of the reed thin Olympic ice skaters could leg press 400!

Now if only my bench press would improve. I'm getting nowhere on that. I need to try a 5 x 5 set on that. Seems like I haven't done a deadlift in awhile either ... Jazz would be disappointed in me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Now if only my bench press would improve.
    When you figure that out, let me know. I have not hit a personal best on bench since Feb 2008.
    Olympic ice skaters are not that thin. Their quads are huge. Their upper body's are deceptively strong as well, hoisting their partners.

Keep up the plyo's. It's the key to explosive power. Did them when I was running. Here is an example of explosive power:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdtHNh4w3vQ&feature=related"]YouTube - [HQ] Usain Bolt 19.19s *WORLD RECORD* 200m - IAAF Berlin 2009[/ame]
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    Olympic ice skaters are not that thin. Their quads are huge. Their upper body's are deceptively strong as well, hoisting their partners.

Keep up the plyo's. It's the key to explosive power. Did them when I was running. Here is an example of explosive power:

YouTube - [HQ] Usain Bolt 19.19s *WORLD RECORD* 200m - IAAF Berlin 2009
    I love that video!

The skater I was thinking of was Sasha Cohen. She was really reed thin. You couldn't tell at all from her quads that she could leg press 400 lbs. But, you're right, I have seen others with impressive quads.
    When you figure that out, let me know. I have not hit a personal best on bench since Feb 2008.
    But are you still maintaining the same max? What age do you theoretically hit your max at and then can't get any stronger? Or is this not age related at all?

I think I'm stuck at 90 pounds on the bench. Perhaps some fear of shoulder issues holds me back too though. I have no desire to push the limits too much.
    I love that video!

The skater I was thinking of was Sasha Cohen. She was really reed thin. You couldn't tell at all from her quads that she could leg press 400 lbs. But, you're right, I have seen others with impressive quads.
    Sasha Cohen has great legs, but reed thin? I will have to review the matter and get back to you.
    But are you still maintaining the same max? What age do you theoretically hit your max at and then can't get any stronger? Or is this not age related at all?

I think I'm stuck at 90 pounds on the bench. Perhaps some fear of shoulder issues holds me back too though. I have no desire to push the limits too much.
    My PB bench is 5x5x175 and I have not repeated that since then. I would have to check my log (it is in a spiral notebook), but I don't think I have done more than 5x5x160 since then. My limiting factors are related, swimming and my left shoulder. Swimming can aggravate my shoulder so I have to reset my progression, or I will have a swim meet (like next week) that will reset my lifting, or I will aggravate my shoulder lifting and have to reset and take time off swimming. I think you have similar limiting factors. I agree, fear is a big part of it. Two weeks of kick only because of a tweaked shoulder sucks.

I don't think age plays a serious role in strength at my level because I don't think my potential and where I am now are anywhere close.

There has been 3 periods where I have lifted consistently, and each time I have gotten stuck on bench. It sucks, but the chest isn't as strong as the back and the legs, so it is the hardest improve once stuck.

If I make all my cuts next week, there should be a good stretch where I can make strength a primary focus and hopefully break through 175.
    How did you initially hurt your shoulder, Q?
    How did you initially hurt your shoulder, Q?
    I don't know. It could be something really old from when I swam as a kid, or I could have done it lifting or when I returned to swimming. But not that whatever it is is weakened, it seems permanently weakened. It is not a major problem, but enough of a problem that a baby it.
    I don't know. It could be something really old from when I swam as a kid, or I could have done it lifting or when I returned to swimming. But not that whatever it is is weakened, it seems permanently weakened. It is not a major problem, but enough of a problem that a baby it.
    Sounds familiar ...