View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Another reason to be a sprinter

Rate this Entry
by , October 12th, 2009 at 07:15 PM (756 Views)
I need recovery time - lots of it. After a meet, I'm shot for several days. Muscularly, I can feel that I get broken down quickly. After a day or two off, I come back very strong.

With this in mind, I decided to take yesterday and today off. I had a pretty good week last week with 17 miles of running and just over 7,000 yards on swimming. Plus, I was able to get to the weight room about 3 times.

The 15 x 100 kick with fins that were broken down into sets of 5 on different intervals really wore my legs out, especially up in the hip area. I could tell this when I did the hip adduction/hip abduction set on Saturday. Just didn't feel quite as strong and felt some soreness in my hips just a few hours after I had lifted.

Soreness is gone today, but decided to just take off anyway. Sometimes it sure is nice to take a day off when you are feeling good instead of doing it because you are sick.

Submit "Another reason to be a sprinter" to Digg Submit "Another reason to be a sprinter" to del.icio.us Submit "Another reason to be a sprinter" to StumbleUpon Submit "Another reason to be a sprinter" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sounds like last week as a very solid week. 3x weights is plenty, and 17 miles + 7k swimming sounds like a full week.

I don't think a day off is always enough to come back fully recovered. Enjoy the your rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Sounds like last week as a very solid week. 3x weights is plenty, and 17 miles + 7k swimming sounds like a full week.

I don't think a day off is always enough to come back fully recovered. Enjoy the your rest.
    Thanks, qbrain. The rest has been most delightful!

Do you plan your rest or simply take it as needed? I know some even have a periodization plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Thanks, qbrain. The rest has been most delightful!

Do you plan your rest or simply take it as needed? I know some even have a periodization plan.
    I just take rest when I need it. I work out MWF twice a day, and the rest of the week is fair game for complete rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I just take rest when I need it. I work out MWF twice a day, and the rest of the week is fair game for complete rest.
    I like that plan as it allows you to recover over the weekend.