View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Dryland Mania, Tuesday, Oct. 13

Rate this Entry
Drylands:

My upper back was still sore from my Monday workout, so I decided to do mostly plyos, bodyweight work and some core work.

bicycles, 2 x 50
long arm crunches, 2 x 50
cable twists w/yoga ball, 50 x 1 x 15, each side, 60 x 1 x 15, each side
hanging reverse crunches w/10 lb weight at feet, 3 x 10

front lunges w/25 lb DBs, 3 x 15
alternating side lunges, 3 x 25
chins ups, 2 x 10
rack chins/pulls, 3 x 15
squats w/overhead shoulder press w/25 lb DBs, 3 x 10 (much harder when you're not pressing fast and using some momentum from the squat)

knee tuck jumps, 3 x 10
box jacks w/med ball, 3 x 15
clap push ups, 3 x 10

prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
scapular wall slides, 2 x 25
internal and external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15 each side
3 position arm extentsions, 3 x 2 x 15

10 minutes of stretching

Aerobic Work:

My usual pool was closed b/c of yet another kid accident. My gym pool is closed while they clean and put the bubble up. So, I did 20 minutes on the ellipse and 20 minutes on the bike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

We'll see how the shoulders hold out after the clap push ups. I put my hands on a mat to sort of cushion the load.

I really prefer rack chins to pull ups. They hurt my wrists less. Jazz and I were speculating that this is perhaps due to it being more of an isolation exercise with not as much of the lower body involved.

Q and I were discussing overhead squats on the thread from my Sunday workout. I'm thinking of adding them, as they are a compound exercise that really hits the core.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2005/08/...y-greg-gla.tpl

This article says you shouldn't start with the bar, but I was thinking I am sufficiently strong/flexible enough to try the bar?

Definitely hitting the pool tomorrow!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saw the most recent clip of Natalie Coughlin on FB from Dancing with the Stars:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u9atC0z1kc&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Week 4 - Natalie Coughlin - Dancing With The Stars[/ame]

Like the mermaid-like costume! She looks in fantastic shape from all the running she's been doing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also saw that Brendan Hansen started a blog today:

http://puresportblog.com/

Submit "Dryland Mania, Tuesday, Oct. 13" to Digg Submit "Dryland Mania, Tuesday, Oct. 13" to del.icio.us Submit "Dryland Mania, Tuesday, Oct. 13" to StumbleUpon Submit "Dryland Mania, Tuesday, Oct. 13" to Google

Updated October 13th, 2009 at 04:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning , Ellipse Machine

Comments

  1. JimRude's Avatar
    I'm amazed you can do push-ups, etc without getting shoulder problems. I stopped doing almost all shoulder-related lifting about a year ago because it was wreaking havoc with my ac joints...
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimRude
    I'm amazed you can do push-ups, etc without getting shoulder problems. I stopped doing almost all shoulder-related lifting about a year ago because it was wreaking havoc with my ac joints...
    Planks are the one thing that really seems to bother me, so I don't do them at all.

    Since finishing my PRP treatments, I've gradually been able to do more and more shoulder work. But I try to be very careful about it.

    You're not doing anything for the upper body in the weight room?
  3. JimRude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Planks are the one thing that really seems to bother me, so I don't do them at all.

    Since finishing my PRP treatments, I've gradually been able to do more and more shoulder work. But I try to be very careful about it.

    You're not doing anything for the upper body in the weight room?
    Well, I do curls with light weight (never more than 35 lbs), triceps extensions (ditto), bent-over rows, etc. I also do some stretch cords and a good amount of RC exercises. But I avoid anything that compresses the AC joint - so no military press, bench press, push-ups, etc. I think my main issue is weight, rather than strength - if I can get my weight down, I have less to move thru the water

    I am also starting to incorporate explosive dryland leg work - box jumps, etc. As a young 'un, we had something called the "speed circuit". Here's a link to a recent article about it:

    http://sfgate.info/cgi-bin/article.c...9/SP108515.DTL

    I never felt stronger than when I did this, so I'm trying to recreate it 25 years later...
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Your weight?!?! You looked pretty slim to me in Indy. What's your plan for that without aerobic work in the pool?

    Thanks for the link. I'm lovin' the explosive drylands too. I'd like to do more of what I did today and fewer heavy weights. At least that's my winter plan. Having not really lifted weights since college, I've still been trying to work on and continue building strength ...
  5. JimRude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Your weight?!?! You looked pretty slim to me in Indy. What's your plan for that without aerobic work in the pool?

    Thanks for the link. I'm lovin' the explosive drylands too. I'd like to do more of what I did today and fewer heavy weights. At least that's my winter plan. Having not really lifted weights since college, I've still been trying to work on and continue building strength ...
    That circuit was a beast. It had about 15 stations, which we would do with a work:rest ratio of anywhere from 2:1 (endurance) to 1:4 (taper time). It would give you a total "work" score at the end, which was tracked throughout the season and also compared to strokemates and teammates. The "leaper" was the worst/best:

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMp4tMqyIQM&feature=related"]YouTube - Leaper[/ame]

    ... guaranteed to bring up your most recent meal if done correctly.

    I'm going to start running again. When I ran marathons (admittedly 8-10 years ago), I was a svelte 170-175. That is 10-15 lbs ago... I am also ramping up my cycling - either on the road or, more likely, on the trainer. I would like to get in at least 4x 60 mins of aerobic training outside the pool. I don't think my shoulders can handle that much aerobic swimming.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    The Leaper looks really brutal! Looks like you could do that on a squat machine set on low weight.

    Yes, I was much slimmer years ago when I was running. I can't do a huge dose of aerobic training in the pool either, with the exception of aerobic kick sets. And I can't do a huge dose of running either without my ankles rebelling. 4 x 60 is a good goal if you mix both running and cycling.

    How many x a week are you going to do your dryland/plyo work? And you're swimming 4-5 x a week right?
  7. JimRude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    The Leaper looks really brutal! Looks like you could do that on a squat machine set on low weight.

    Yes, I was much slimmer years ago when I was running. I can't do a huge dose of aerobic training in the pool either, with the exception of aerobic kick sets. And I can't do a huge dose of running either without my ankles rebelling. 4 x 60 is a good goal if you mix both running and cycling.

    How many x a week are you going to do your dryland/plyo work? And you're swimming 4-5 x a week right?
    I try to do my dryland every other day, and the plyo stuff at least 2x per week. I try to swim at least 4-5x per week, ideally 5-6. If I don't do the aerobic stuff, I have no chance in the 100m against the other evil-strokers that can swim a 200 - Guthrie, Blank, etc.
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimRude
    I try to do my dryland every other day, and the plyo stuff at least 2x per week. I try to swim at least 4-5x per week, ideally 5-6. If I don't do the aerobic stuff, I have no chance in the 100m against the other evil-strokers that can swim a 200 - Guthrie, Blank, etc.
    That's a lot of working out! Means doubles practically every day. Do you take a rest day?
  9. qbrain's Avatar
    squats w/overhead shoulder press
    You are so almost a crossfitter...

    This article says you shouldn't start with the bar, but I was thinking I am sufficiently strong/flexible enough to try the bar?
    And as an almost crossfitter, take that advice from the crossfit journal and start with something lighter than 45lbs, like a broomstick. It is wise to always start lighter than you think necessary since it is easier to add weight than to recover from an injury.
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You are so almost a crossfitter...
    You are so almost tempted to be an almost cross fitter.

    Ok, I'll start with the broomstick. I just figured if I was doing squat-presses w/50 lbs, I might be able to skip over the damn broomstick. lol

    I did tell Laura Hamel that the pro CF and anti CF debate would be a good topic for her "Both Sides of the Laneline" column.
  11. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You are so almost a crossfitter...
    How'd you like The Leaper?
  12. qbrain's Avatar
    You are so almost tempted to be an almost cross fitter.
    You are like the new idea drug dealer.

    I just figured if I was doing squat-presses w/50 lbs, I might be able to skip over the damn broomstick.
    Did you notice the arm position relative to the upper body at the bottom of the squat? Different balancing problem and a much more difficult "get out of the way of the bar" movement if you need to drop.

    I thought the leaper was a little weird. The idea isn't new, but it never seems to catch on. I really thought the video seemed a little too SNLish, but the punchline never came.
  13. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You are like the new idea drug dealer.
    You are like the new idea blog stealer.

    Better to change things up periodically to not get bored. I like cycling in and out of things every few months.

    I guess everyone is just doing bodyweight leaping.