View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wed., Oct. 14

Rate this Entry
by , October 14th, 2009 at 04:42 PM (1507 Views)
AM Hot Yoga:

Made it to class #5. I seem a tad more flexible already. And I'm really glad my transverse colon is apparently getting a massage. lol. It still seems somewhat exhausting and harder to exercise afterward. I guess at some point it's supposed to shift from exhausting to refreshing ...

I also had a bit of an internal chuckle when the instructor said that we were "flushing out scar tissue." Getting a little carried away there!

I was wondering why Bikram studios must be carpeted and found this:

http://staffordstreethotyoga.com/bikramyoga.htm
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....-choudhur.html



PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Kicking Sets:

5 x (50 UW cruiser shooter w/fins + 15 pullouts) @ 1:15
1 breath at the the turn

100 EZ

5 x vertical kick @ 1:15
30 seconds with hands at side, 10 seconds in streamline, squat jump off bottom (12 ft deep), 20 seconds rest

50 EZ

5 x (25 AFAP shooter on back w/fins + 50 EZ)

75 EZ

Other Speed Work:

3 x 150, done as:

25 EZ speed power fly + 25 EZ DAB + 25 AFAP doggy paddle + 25 EZ DAB + 50 free EZ

100 EZ

1 x 50 fly AFAP w/fins (25ish)

200 EZ

100 scull

Total: 2350 + VK-ing + 75 pullouts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My ass and hammies are a bit sore from the plyos, lunging, and squatting. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but they feel tighter/stronger with this new regimen. (And I'm sure my ass is probably getting bigger too. )

Found this site, which has loads of plyo info:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometric.html

Hoping to swim with both Speedo and Jazzy at noon at GMU tomorrow!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My son just came home from cross country practice with an ankle sprain all taped up and iced. Could ruin the end of his cross country season for the second year in a row. Flexy ankles are so easy to sprain ... (Been there, done that.)

Meanwhile, Mr. Fort, who has been battling a hip injury forever, just had an MRI. He may have some labral tearing around his hip socket. His doctor said PRP was a possibility. I hope he doesn't need surgery b/c he would be just impossible to live with!

Injuries suck!!!

Submit "Wed., Oct. 14" to Digg Submit "Wed., Oct. 14" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed., Oct. 14" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed., Oct. 14" to Google

Updated October 14th, 2009 at 08:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Yoga

Comments

  1. Bobinator's Avatar
    Sorry about your family's injuries Did your son roll it on a walnut? When I coached we(the coaches) would always run the course before the kids got there and kick all the walnuts off on quality nights. Somehow we would always miss a few and we would still get kids spraining ankles.
    It sounds like your Yoga is going great! I think it would be rough to swim after that. (even hours later!)
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Sorry about your family's injuries Did your son roll it on a walnut? When I coached we(the coaches) would always run the course before the kids got there and kick all the walnuts off on quality nights. Somehow we would always miss a few and we would still get kids spraining ankles.
    It sounds like your Yoga is going great! I think it would be rough to swim after that. (even hours later!)
    Rolled it on a hill; he says it might have been a walnut. It's really really swollen and huge and ugly. Did the same damn thing last year. Oh well, he views crew as his main sport, so is not unduly disheartened. Still, it sucks because Districts are in a couple weeks and he's been getting faster each week.

    The yoga seems to be going well. My body feels more limber and flexible. I wish I could do it later in the day, but that doesn't work at all with my kids' schedules. I'm not sure how long it takes before your body adjusts to it and you're not so tired afterward. I'm pretty pooped right now. I'm not sure how much of it to do next week before my meet either ...
  3. rtodd's Avatar
    Stick with the plyo's.

    That ankle injury stinks. Stay on the track I say.
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    Stick with the plyo's.

    That ankle injury stinks. Stay on the track I say.
    I plan to! I really like the plyos so far, and it does not seem to be stressing any joints.

    Are you doing them for swimming, Rob?

    Fort Son hates the track and thinks a 5K is rather short! He does crew winter and spring now, and likes it much better.
  5. elise526's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about the injuries in the Fort home. I had thought about running an open cross country 5k this weekend, but the ground is so soggy, I don't want to set myself up for slide and strain.

    Sounds like you might want to skip the hot yoga next week. Heat is hard on the heart. You want all systems go for that meet next weekend!
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Sorry to hear about the injuries in the Fort home. I had thought about running an open cross country 5k this weekend, but the ground is so soggy, I don't want to set myself up for slide and strain.

    Sounds like you might want to skip the hot yoga next week. Heat is hard on the heart. You want all systems go for that meet next weekend!
    Cross country can definitely be hazardous!

    Thanks for the advice on yoga. I can't tell how much yoga vs. other things is taking a toll. So I should probably rest up next week.