View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Group Sprints @ GMU, Thursday, Oct. 15

Rate this Entry
SCY @ GMU

As Pete noted, we had a hard core group today at GMU for our now virtually routine High Intensity Thursdays: Speedo, Jazzy, Cage Fighter and me. (Next Thursday, however, we're skipping and lounging around to prep for the Sprint Classic.) I really hope Jazzy can keep joining us, though it's a bit far from where he works.

Warm up:

700 variety

8 x 50 @ 1:15
25 UW shooter on back (no fins) + 25 EZ

50 EZ

Speed work:

8 x 75 @ 3:00, done as:

25 AFAP w/fins + 50 EZ

I did 4 free and 4 back SDK. Went high 10s and one low 11 on free and 10s on back. I attribute the low 11 on #3 (where Speedo and I had a rare tie :-P) to chatting with Jazzy too much and not being quite ready to go at the send off. So I was not such a slacker on the next one. I think Jazzy loafed all the 25s to prep for his 1 x 50.

100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP free w/fins

I did free diving from the side. This is NOT a good idea with fins. I got no real push and had a terrible start. Should have just pushed off. Went low 24. Because it was so sub-par, I swam another 100 EZ and tried another 50 AFAP.

100 EZ

1 x 50 back w/fins

This time I missed the turn and almost hit my heels on the top of the wall, so just cruised the second 25.

200 EZ

Total: 2150

Hottub 15 min of non-stop Q & A ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Felt somewhat tired before the sprint session today, and now I feel pretty dead. The combo of weights-plyo-sprinting-hot yoga is pretty tiring. The yoga seems great for flexibility, but I think it works the legs quite a bit too -- the first 45-60 minutes are all standing poses. Speedo and I discussed the flexibility issue briefly. He says there's a portion of Salo's book on this topic, so I need to read that.

I'm still mulling over exactly how much to rest for the Sprint Classic -- even though some clowns seem to think the CDVB plan is not amenable to a "taper." I could do a gradual 10 day taper (starting tomorrow) or a 5 or 3 day drop taper. I am only considering the 10 day because this could be my last yards meet in my magic suit. However, I would then have to repeat this rest for my Dec 6-7 Zones meet and re-start weights et al, and the prospect of two such tapers is, ugh, very unappealing. I will most likely do the 5 day taper and stop weights after tomorrow. I will be a puppet and not do a 7 day taper since Clydesdale says that's exactly the WRONG amount of time to rest, and I think he may be correct on this point.

I was grilled in the hottub and pool by Cage Fighter. Currently, he's a sprinter doing distance workouts and needs to revise his training plan to add more race pace work and kicking. He reminds me of me a few years ago when I really didn't know WTF I was doing in the pool with solo training. We encouraged him to get on the DF and look through the blogs. I told him to look for the sprinter blogs and Ande's blog (if he's not doing 60 x 100s) and use the Ask Ande thread or start his own thread. We thought Cage Fighter would make a lovely forum name. (He had apparently tried to browse the forums/blogs, but didn't realize we all had special user names.)

SCM Meets:

I'm probably not going to our very first local fall SCM meet. . This apparently unduly interferes with family Thanksgiving plans. I'm in the doghouse at the moment with my meet dates interfering with RL dates. If I have to skip that meet, I'll go to Zones for two days. (And then piss my kid off by missing most of the Dolan meet, though her best event is on Friday. But since she's totally out of swimming shape from her volleyball escapades, the mommy guilt will be minimized somewhat.)

Metro finally has the info for Zones up. As per usual, all my best events are back to back. I wonder if the rampant discrimination against fly-backers will ever end?! (Seriously, it's almost comical.) I'm very very glad I swam the 100 back and 100 fly at the Albatross Meet, as I can't do them at Zones. Still, I would've liked to get another crack at the 100 back at a champ meet. All the sprints are crammed together on day 1 and 2 as well. Here's the Order of Events:

Saturday AM:
(distance events in the afternoon, lucky ducks!)

200 breast
50 back
100 fly
100 free
50 breast
200 back
100 IM

Sunday AM:

200 fly
100 breast
50 free
200 IM
100 back
50 fly
200 free

Based on this line up, I'll probably swim the 50 back, 50 breast, 100 IM, 50 free and 50 fly. I wish the 50 back wasn't the first event, as I usually need an event to get the cobwebs out. But c'est la vie.

Here's the psych sheet for the Rowdy Gaines SCM meet this weekend:

http://www.swimorlando.com/wp-conten...ych-sheet2.pdf

Shoulder Exercise:

Here's a shoulder exercise that Jazz posted. Just wanted to link it here as well, as it looks helpful.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/6997-ho...o-90-time.html

Submit "Group Sprints @ GMU, Thursday, Oct. 15" to Digg Submit "Group Sprints @ GMU, Thursday, Oct. 15" to del.icio.us Submit "Group Sprints @ GMU, Thursday, Oct. 15" to StumbleUpon Submit "Group Sprints @ GMU, Thursday, Oct. 15" to Google

Updated October 15th, 2009 at 10:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    100 free and 100 IM should be far enough apart for me. Not so with the 50 free and 200IM. Will probably either go with the 200IM or go with the 50 and the 200 free. May actually be able to do a relay or two as well since it does not have to be mixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    100 free and 100 IM should be far enough apart for me. Not so with the 50 free and 200IM. Will probably either go with the 200IM or go with the 50 and the 200 free. May actually be able to do a relay or two as well since it does not have to be mixed.
    Showing a lot of diversity with the 50 free and 200 IM! Do the women swim before the men? I so, you could have some time to rest between the two.
    Who wrote that schedule. Most of the 100s the same day, most of the 200s the same day. That looks like two one day meets for most people. And I HATE that the 200 is dead last.

Poor cage fighter, he really got thrown in with a bunch of swim nerds.

Did you read Paul's blog a day or two ago about his daughter jumping in from the side... wearing fins... not a good idea... yeah. You are a horrible puppet.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Who wrote that schedule. Most of the 100s the same day, most of the 200s the same day. That looks like two one day meets for most people. And I HATE that the 200 is dead last.

Poor cage fighter, he really got thrown in with a bunch of swim nerds.
    CF has great potential as a swim nerd himself. He's dying for info.

Seriously, it's a crap meet schedule. To me, it's really comical that the 50 back/100 fly and 50 fly/100 back are back to back AGAIN. This happens to me in so many meets, it's ludicrous. And 200 free is a tough event to have last. (Usually they save that slot for 50 back. haha) I was almost hoping they'd have the 200 back last on Sunday, and I'd just hop in and swim it for "fun."

Is your meet this weekend or next? Are you going to "taper" some?
    Did you read Paul's blog a day or two ago about his daughter jumping in from the side... wearing fins... not a good idea... yeah. You are a horrible puppet.
    Doh! Completely forgot about that. I'm lucky I didn't incur injury as I tend toward klutz-dom. I have no injuries or nagging injuries at the moment, and would love to keep it that way for a short timespan.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Is your meet this weekend or next? Are you going to "taper" some?
    Tomorrow! I am pseudo tapered. I caught a cold Thursday last week, missed Thursday, Friday, Sat, Sun because of that. Long easy stuff Mon/Wed, 4x25 fast from mid pool today 1k total and I will do something light tomorrow morning. Wed last week was the last weight session.

I swim the 50 Friday night, 100 Sat afternoon and the 200 Sun afternoon. My biggest worry is forgetting something Friday and not being able to swim. The meet starts at 5:30 (warm up at 4:30), work is about 10 minutes from the pool, but home is like 45 minutes. Check and recheck.
    I have no injuries or nagging injuries at the moment, and would love to keep it that way for a short timespan.
    In Ande's blog, he links to two tri's he worked out with today, and one of their blog posts today was about how he has had a really good season because he has gone so long without injury. Being able to train consistently was the key.

So don't break yourself. That is my sage advice, with footnotes.
    Tomorrow! I am pseudo tapered. I caught a cold Thursday last week, missed Thursday, Friday, Sat, Sun because of that. Long easy stuff Mon/Wed, 4x25 fast from mid pool today 1k total and I will do something light tomorrow morning. Wed last week was the last weight session.

I swim the 50 Friday night, 100 Sat afternoon and the 200 Sun afternoon. My biggest worry is forgetting something Friday and not being able to swim. The meet starts at 5:30 (warm up at 4:30), work is about 10 minutes from the pool, but home is like 45 minutes. Check and recheck.
    The sickness taper usually works very well if you're feeling good by meet time! You wouldn't want to miss your 50 free after all that speed work you've been doing. What was your last time?
    In Ande's blog, he links to two tri's he worked out with today, and one of their blog posts today was about how he has had a really good season because he has gone so long without injury. Being able to train consistently was the key.

So don't break yourself. That is my sage advice, with footnotes.
    Did you read the controversial Big Shoulder 5K thread? One of the defenses of the winner was that he had been injury free for a year.

I haven't had any major injuries in a long time. Just nagging things like lower back, hip, ankle, etc. that went away. That's one reason I won't do power yoga again -- hurt my lower back acting like a teenager on some move shortly before Austin 2008. Stupid.
    That meet schedule misses the most important event--200 breast (at least I didn't see it).

I hear you on the RL balancing with meets. Seems someone else scheduled a meet the weekend before thanksgiving, when I'll be way too busy cleaning to even think of a meet. And the other AZ meet this fall is happening while I'll be in Europe. At least I have excuses this time. I have no idea how you do it with the kids, both my brothers have 3 kids each, and anything they do is secondary (or further back) from getting the kids to soccer, scouts, school play, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    That meet schedule misses the most important event--200 breast (at least I didn't see it).

I hear you on the RL balancing with meets. Seems someone else scheduled a meet the weekend before thanksgiving, when I'll be way too busy cleaning to even think of a meet. And the other AZ meet this fall is happening while I'll be in Europe. At least I have excuses this time. I have no idea how you do it with the kids, both my brothers have 3 kids each, and anything they do is secondary (or further back) from getting the kids to soccer, scouts, school play, etc.
    I think that's on Sat. and I just left it out. Nice mind trick, eh?

I can only do it b/c I work very very part time. And my oldest drives now. I could never train and compete like I do now on my old work schedule. From 2 or 3 until 10, I'm usually swamped. And I can't work out in the am cuz that's when my husband works out or he is traveling. Good thing I don't miss my former hobbies! lol

I'm not sure if cleaning is a good excuse to miss a meet though. :-P
    Updated October 15th, 2009 at 08:37 PM by The Fortress
    The sickness taper usually works very well if you're feeling good by meet time! You wouldn't want to miss your 50 free after all that speed work you've been doing. What was your last time?
    24.14 at SC Zones, 28.03 LC, so I think a 24 low unshaved untapered in a practice brief is reasonable.

I am pretty much fully recovered from my cold.

Did you read the controversial Big Shoulder 5K thread?
    Nope, missed the 5k thread All I have read about the winner is lefty's rant thread. Being injury free really would help a lot.
    50 free is definately my better event, but I love the 200IM, so I'm torn. The 100 free and 100IM are close too and I like both of those as well. Depends on if any relay's get put together before the meet, then I'll pick based on that. If the relay's are add hock day of meet, I'll enter what I want.

Session #1 – Sat AM Dec 5
    Warm-Up 8:00AM
    Start 9:00AM
    #1 Women 400 SCM Freestyle
    #2 Mixed 400 SCM Medley Relay
    #3 Mixed 200 SCM Breaststroke
    #4 Mixed 50 SCM Backstroke
    #5 Mixed 100 SCM Butterfly
    #6 Mixed 100 SCM Freestyle
    #7 Mixed 50 SCM Breaststroke
    #8 Mixed 200 SCM Backstroke
    #9 Mixed 100 SCM Individual Medley
    #10 Men 200 SCM Freestyle Relay
    #11 Women 200 SCM Freestyle Relay
    #12 Mixed 200 SCM Freestyle Relay

Session #2 – Sat PM Dec 5
    Warm-Up ONE hour AFTER AM session concludes
    #13 Mixed 800 SCM Freestyle Relay
    #14 Mixed 400 SCM Individual Medley
    #15 Mixed 800 SCM Freestyle *
    #16 Mixed 1500 SCM Freestyle *

Session #3 – Sun AM Dec 6
    Warm-Up 9:00AM
    Start 10:00AM
    #17 Men 400 SCM Freestyle
    #18 Mixed 400 SCM Freestyle Relay
    #19 Mixed 200 SCM Butterfly
    #20 Mixed 100 SCM Breaststroke
    #21 Mixed 50 SCM Freestyle
    #22 Mixed 200 SCM Individual Medley
    #23 Mixed 100 SCM Backstroke
    #24 Mixed 50 SCM Butterfly
    #25 Mixed 200 SCM Freestyle
    #26 Men 200 SCM Medley Relay
    #27 Women 200 SCM Medley Relay
    #28 Mixed 200 SCM Medley Relay
    50 free is definately my better event, but I love the 200IM, so I'm torn. The 100 free and 100IM are close too and I like both of those as well. Depends on if any relay's get put together before the meet, then I'll pick based on that. If the relay's are add hock day of meet, I'll enter what I want.
    The 50 free and 200 IM are probably close together b/c they're a rare double.

You might have enough time between the 100 free and 100 IM to recover. Depends on if there are a couple nice slow heats of 200 back.
    24.14 at SC Zones, 28.03 LC, so I think a 24 low unshaved untapered in a practice brief is reasonable.

I am pretty much fully recovered from my cold.

Nope, missed the 5k thread All I have read about the winner is lefty's rant thread. Being injury free really would help a lot.
    The 28.0 is relatively faster, so you'll probably be 24 or under now, especially with the added speed work.

That was a doozy of a thread. I enjoyed lurking.
    That definitely looks like an odd order of events. Will it be a big enough meet that you could do some back-to-back events by entering NT in the first and a real time in the second and get sufficient rest?

Now, on the other hand, if you're used to doing 50s or 100s in workout on 5 minutes or so AFAP, you'll still have more than that rest even if you do back-to-back events.
    Is that "cool"?

Has there ever been a rigerous statisitcal analysis of swimmers event choices that would generate an "ideal" order of events? Or are swimmers choices that random?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    That definitely looks like an odd order of events. Will it be a big enough meet that you could do some back-to-back events by entering NT in the first and a real time in the second and get sufficient rest?

Now, on the other hand, if you're used to doing 50s or 100s in workout on 5 minutes or so AFAP, you'll still have more than that rest even if you do back-to-back events.
    No, definitely not big enough. The AM session is scheduled to end at 1:00. I have no idea why they front loaded the session and squashed all the fprint events in the middle. it's better to have the 200s/400s as buffers for the sprint events. Had I known, I might have been tempted to go to NE Champs since both meets require travel. But, then, the last NE meet I recall that happened as well. I swam the 100 back on 5 minutes rest.

It's just discouraging always having my 4 best events sort of "compromised" this way. On top of that, I always always get sh*t for entering an NT to attempt to compensate.
    PW,

I've noticed that at meets, and this was real true about running, you can go in a red zone that is never duplicated in practice and you can get major league depleted even after an all out 100. It's not just flushing the lactic acid fully, but rather a central nervous system hit, that is difficult to recover from. The CNS takes quite a bit of time to recover, on the order of days not hours or minutes.
    Is that "cool"?

Has there ever been a rigerous statisitcal analysis of swimmers event choices that would generate an "ideal" order of events? Or are swimmers choices that random?
    It's certainly unusual. Not many people would choose those two events, though I know a couple who do. And Wolfy always *talks* about the 200 IM.

I think they have done some analyses of event choices when formulating orders of events for Nationals. But now they just cycle through the same 3-4 orders of events. I just wish once the fly-back sprinters wouldn't get screwed at a champ meet. Grrr ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast