View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Group Sprints @ GMU, Thursday, Oct. 15

Rate this Entry
SCY @ GMU

As Pete noted, we had a hard core group today at GMU for our now virtually routine High Intensity Thursdays: Speedo, Jazzy, Cage Fighter and me. (Next Thursday, however, we're skipping and lounging around to prep for the Sprint Classic.) I really hope Jazzy can keep joining us, though it's a bit far from where he works.

Warm up:

700 variety

8 x 50 @ 1:15
25 UW shooter on back (no fins) + 25 EZ

50 EZ

Speed work:

8 x 75 @ 3:00, done as:

25 AFAP w/fins + 50 EZ

I did 4 free and 4 back SDK. Went high 10s and one low 11 on free and 10s on back. I attribute the low 11 on #3 (where Speedo and I had a rare tie :-P) to chatting with Jazzy too much and not being quite ready to go at the send off. So I was not such a slacker on the next one. I think Jazzy loafed all the 25s to prep for his 1 x 50.

100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP free w/fins

I did free diving from the side. This is NOT a good idea with fins. I got no real push and had a terrible start. Should have just pushed off. Went low 24. Because it was so sub-par, I swam another 100 EZ and tried another 50 AFAP.

100 EZ

1 x 50 back w/fins

This time I missed the turn and almost hit my heels on the top of the wall, so just cruised the second 25.

200 EZ

Total: 2150

Hottub 15 min of non-stop Q & A ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Felt somewhat tired before the sprint session today, and now I feel pretty dead. The combo of weights-plyo-sprinting-hot yoga is pretty tiring. The yoga seems great for flexibility, but I think it works the legs quite a bit too -- the first 45-60 minutes are all standing poses. Speedo and I discussed the flexibility issue briefly. He says there's a portion of Salo's book on this topic, so I need to read that.

I'm still mulling over exactly how much to rest for the Sprint Classic -- even though some clowns seem to think the CDVB plan is not amenable to a "taper." I could do a gradual 10 day taper (starting tomorrow) or a 5 or 3 day drop taper. I am only considering the 10 day because this could be my last yards meet in my magic suit. However, I would then have to repeat this rest for my Dec 6-7 Zones meet and re-start weights et al, and the prospect of two such tapers is, ugh, very unappealing. I will most likely do the 5 day taper and stop weights after tomorrow. I will be a puppet and not do a 7 day taper since Clydesdale says that's exactly the WRONG amount of time to rest, and I think he may be correct on this point.

I was grilled in the hottub and pool by Cage Fighter. Currently, he's a sprinter doing distance workouts and needs to revise his training plan to add more race pace work and kicking. He reminds me of me a few years ago when I really didn't know WTF I was doing in the pool with solo training. We encouraged him to get on the DF and look through the blogs. I told him to look for the sprinter blogs and Ande's blog (if he's not doing 60 x 100s) and use the Ask Ande thread or start his own thread. We thought Cage Fighter would make a lovely forum name. (He had apparently tried to browse the forums/blogs, but didn't realize we all had special user names.)

SCM Meets:

I'm probably not going to our very first local fall SCM meet. . This apparently unduly interferes with family Thanksgiving plans. I'm in the doghouse at the moment with my meet dates interfering with RL dates. If I have to skip that meet, I'll go to Zones for two days. (And then piss my kid off by missing most of the Dolan meet, though her best event is on Friday. But since she's totally out of swimming shape from her volleyball escapades, the mommy guilt will be minimized somewhat.)

Metro finally has the info for Zones up. As per usual, all my best events are back to back. I wonder if the rampant discrimination against fly-backers will ever end?! (Seriously, it's almost comical.) I'm very very glad I swam the 100 back and 100 fly at the Albatross Meet, as I can't do them at Zones. Still, I would've liked to get another crack at the 100 back at a champ meet. All the sprints are crammed together on day 1 and 2 as well. Here's the Order of Events:

Saturday AM:
(distance events in the afternoon, lucky ducks!)

200 breast
50 back
100 fly
100 free
50 breast
200 back
100 IM

Sunday AM:

200 fly
100 breast
50 free
200 IM
100 back
50 fly
200 free

Based on this line up, I'll probably swim the 50 back, 50 breast, 100 IM, 50 free and 50 fly. I wish the 50 back wasn't the first event, as I usually need an event to get the cobwebs out. But c'est la vie.

Here's the psych sheet for the Rowdy Gaines SCM meet this weekend:

http://www.swimorlando.com/wp-conten...ych-sheet2.pdf

Shoulder Exercise:

Here's a shoulder exercise that Jazz posted. Just wanted to link it here as well, as it looks helpful.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/6997-ho...o-90-time.html

Submit "Group Sprints @ GMU, Thursday, Oct. 15" to Digg Submit "Group Sprints @ GMU, Thursday, Oct. 15" to del.icio.us Submit "Group Sprints @ GMU, Thursday, Oct. 15" to StumbleUpon Submit "Group Sprints @ GMU, Thursday, Oct. 15" to Google

Updated October 15th, 2009 at 09:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fort,

You definately have it worse than me!
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    PW,

I've noticed that at meets, and this was real true about running, you can go in a red zone that is never duplicated in practice and you can get major league depleted even after an all out 100. It's not just flushing the lactic acid fully, but rather a central nervous system hit, that is difficult to recover from. The CNS takes quite a bit of time to recover, on the order of days not hours or minutes.
    I agree. It can take me a couple hours to really recover from a 100. At least that would be my preferred amount of rest at a big meet. Or at least an hour FGS!

Bah! I'm just not swimming the 100 back and 100 fly at this meet. I'm just glad I already have times in them (though from back in March) or I would really be seething.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the order of events for NE SCM Champs. It's rather similar. 50 back/100 fly are back to back on Saturday and 50 fly/100 back have only one event separating them on Sunday. Sheesh!
    Updated October 15th, 2009 at 09:39 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    The 28.0 is relatively faster, so you'll probably be 24 or under now, especially with the added speed work.

That was a doozy of a thread. I enjoyed lurking.
    28 low and 24 low are about equal, which I thought was weird, because I thought my LC time was faster than my SCY time. I looked up the meet results at the host, and they have me at 27.43. Looked at the USMS database again, 28.03 was SCM last Nov... I need to learn to read.

So yeah, I would hop to pop off a mid 23 or better tonight, but I will be happy with anything that is under the A cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    28 low and 24 low are about equal, which I thought was weird, because I thought my LC time was faster than my SCY time. I looked up the meet results at the host, and they have me at 27.43. Looked at the USMS database again, 28.03 was SCM last Nov... I need to learn to read.

So yeah, I would hop to pop off a mid 23 or better tonight, but I will be happy with anything that is under the A cut.
    If you went a 27.4 in meters, that is fast and much better than 24.1. I don't think the conversion tables are always right for us masters.

Good luck this afternoon. Don't forget to go!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12