The FAF AFAP Digest

More CDVB, Friday, Oct. 16

Rate this Entry
AM Gym:

core:

long arm crunches, 2 x 50
bicycles, 1 x 100
broomstick twist, 2 x 50
(I dunno, Q, this seems pretty worthless, though it's a nice stretch.)
hanging straight leg raises, 3 x 15
trunk twists on incline bench w/15 lb DB, 2 x 25
overhead squats (the "Nicole"), 1 x 10 with broomstick, 3 x 15 w/45 lb bar.
(It took a few reps to get my balance down, but then it was fine. Good core exercise.)

weights:

HS hi row, 140 x 3 x 8 (fast)
tricep press, 44 x 3 x 10 (fast)
alternating hammers, 17.5 x 2 x 20 (fast)

rack chins, 3 x 15
(these are getting much easier, probably need to add weight)

plyos:

run stance squat jump/twist, 5 x 5*

= do 5 small squat jumps in place + 1 explosive twisting turn and jump of 180 degrees. liked it, it's definitely a keeper

leaping lunges switches, 2 x 10

leap frog squats. 2 x 5*

= 5 double leg squat leaps with wide legs)

med ball "starts," 2 x 15

= use 2 6 lb med balls. place fingers under ball in front. bend knees and get into position as if doing a grab start. then explosively push back with arms and hands and throw ball against back wall as hard and fast as possible. we have a 15 foot room adjacent to the weight room. I stood a couple feet or more in front of it and did this, and it seems to work. the balls flew in the air and bounced right before the wall. this is a keeper. Pete mentioned this exercise yesterday, and now I can't recall where he heard of it. Salo, Pete?

* = plyos from the P90X plyo vid that I found on youtube

RC:

I suck!
I ran out of time and only did:

scapular wall slides, 2 x 25

BTW, This is not the order I do all these exercises in, it's just how I blog them. I usually mix them up and superset everything.

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
200 kick
200 fly drills

Hypoxic/Stroke Work:

10 x 50 @ 1:15
odds = cruiser backstroke kick
evens = SDK shooter w/fins, 1 breath at turn

100 EZ

10 x 50 @ 1:00
25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ DAB
breakouts were kinda crappy

100 EZ

Speed Work:

3 x 75, done as:
25 AFAP free from mid pool + 50 EZ

125 EZ

4 x 50, done as:
backstroke start power kick to 15 meters and cruise the rest
14-15 SDKs to get to 15 meter mark. Probably means 13 in a race with my B70.

100 EZ

1 x 50 SDK on back AFAP (23.5ish, was tired)

200 EZ

Total: 3000

Rest Plan for Sprint Classic:

Ande and I were chatting about a rest plan for the Sprint Classic. I am going with a 5 day "rest" so I can swim pretty fast without losing too much training mojo. Plus, on the CDVB plan, one doesn't have to really "rest" too much as opposed to cutting out or cutting back on the cross-training.

Ande suggested this plan to adapt as needed:

try this schedule,
also in swim practice do
perfect form, hard PUSHOFFS, FAR GLIDEs, & GREAT STREAMLINES

STOP LEG WEIGHTS, REST YOUR LEGS

s 10/17 2000 4 fast 25's 2 fast 50's

s 10/18 OFF or easy 1500

m 10/19 1900 4 fast 25's 2 fast 50's medium lift

t 10/20 1800 4 fast 25's 1 fast 50

w 10/21 1700 3 fast 25's 2 fast 50's light lift

t 10/22 1600 2 fast 25's 1 fast 50

f 10/23 1500 2 fast 25's

s 10/24 1200 easy 1 or 2 fast 25's

I like this plan. The only exception is that I plan to take tomorrow off (as usual) and swim on Sunday instead. I will likely go to my team workout that day, and just skip 1/3 of the workout or so, maybe do 2500. My "lift" will also include some core work. But I do plan on a full week rest for the legs. I've been working hard since the Fall Ball, so my body could probably use a light week anyway.

Submit "More CDVB, Friday, Oct. 16" to Digg Submit "More CDVB, Friday, Oct. 16" to del.icio.us Submit "More CDVB, Friday, Oct. 16" to StumbleUpon Submit "More CDVB, Friday, Oct. 16" to Google

Comments

Broomstick twist is supposed to be a nice stretch. Part of my concern with core is preventing muscle strains/pulls in my back/neck.

Badass on the Overhead squats. The Nicole WOD is something else tho...

Neat stuff re plyos and the "rest" for the meet sounds good.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Broomstick twist is supposed to be a nice stretch. Part of my concern with core is preventing muscle strains/pulls in my back/neck.

Badass on the Overhead squats. The Nicole WOD is something else tho...

Neat stuff re plyos and the "rest" for the meet sounds good.
    I am such a badass. Just ask Ahelee. 45 pounds is a far cry from Nicole's 123 though. But then she's a far cry from my 48. lol

Plyos are very cool and add some nice variety to the gym routine. Definitely lovin' them. We'll see if they do anything for my swimming now.

Good luck on that 50 free. Go kick ass!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Good luck on that 50 free. Go kick ass!
    I am going to crush some little kids.
    The med ball start was something I saw Cesar Cielo doing in a vid on Floswimming. I took a look but couldn't find it- the link was originally posted on the forum somewhere. I'll try to find it again in a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I am going to crush some little kids.
    Sometimes it has to be done! Plus, you can justify it as promoting masters swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    The med ball start was something I saw Cesar Cielo doing in a vid on Floswimming. I took a look but couldn't find it- the link was originally posted on the forum somewhere. I'll try to find it again in a bit.
    Awesome! Glad to have the correct role model! It's a very fun plyo.
    I like the "broomstick stretch". I was doing it with a tight stretch band. It's much more effective with a broomstick.
    The scapular wall stretch has been helpful too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I like the "broomstick stretch". I was doing it with a tight stretch band. It's much more effective with a broomstick.
    Were you doing just the regular standing twist or the one from the link I posted yesterday for shoulders?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Were you doing just the regular standing twist or the one from the link I posted yesterday for shoulders?
    I just noticed that you are doing 2x50 broomstick twists. I think that is a waste of time, and you can probably get the full benefit from 30-45 seconds of twists.

I am going to go do some now.
    Plyo's will be noticable off the blocks and walls. Remember that hohum 50 fly start at Rutgers?!?!?!?!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    Plyo's will be noticable off the blocks and walls. Remember that hohum 50 fly start at Rutgers?!?!?!?!?!?
    I remember, believe me. Though the gun was a little early on that. I still sometimes have hohum starts. But now I usually get off the blocks well, I just go too deep or have a bad breakout.
    Do you have recommendations as to which of the zillions of hotels to stay in near LGA?
    Yea, that was a quick start.

No real good recommendations on hotels. It's a stones throw from the airport if you are flying.

I'm still mulling over that event order and totally confused as to what to pick!

Found this in the event info:

There are literally dozens of affordable hotels located less than FIVE miles from the FMCP pool due to the close proximity of
    LGA airport. We recommend accessing local hotels through www.hotels.com and using a “11355" zip code search. We are
    also offering out-of-town swimmers the option to stay with a local swimmer for the event weekend. Contact Co-Event Director
    Conrad Johnson via email at cjswim007@earthlink.net for complete details and to make arrangements.
    Yea, that was a quick start.

No real good recommendations on hotels. It's a stones throw from the airport if you are flying.

I'm still mulling over that event order and totally confused as to what to pick!

Found this in the event info:
    Thanks. I looked at those hotels last night. Now I need to decide if I'm flying or driving ... The order of events is just so stinky. I wish the distance events were stuck in the middle. I'd rather be at the pool until 3-4 than end at 1:00.