View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

USA-S 100 free

Rate this Entry
Went a 54.0x, needed a 53.59.

After warming up 2 hours before my swim yesterday, I changed my game plan. There is one lane set aside for warm up and cool down, and it is the cluster you would expect it to be with 10 lanes of competition feeding it. But I thought a warm up near my swim would help.

The plan was to get to the meet as warmup ended with just enough time to check in. I was swimming in the 3rd event of the day, and the second event was relays, so it would only have a few heats. Once the relays started, I would hop in and warm up until my race.

Everything went as planned actually. I got to the pool, checked in and the place was packed. Found a seat, and was worried that they roped off the cool down lane because they wised up and didn't want people goofing around next to the race. What they really wanted was people to not enter from the starting block end, so I was safe. A little worried I wasn't going to have a warm up for a second.

Warm up was a 50 every time the warm up lane dropped to only 4 people swimming. I got one solid 100 in as well, and this actually was a great warm for the 100. Maybe 400 total.

There were 7 heats of NT. That is 69 kids (and me) swimming the 100 free for the first time at a USA-S meet. Kinda surprising. By virtue of name I was in the 6th heat.

My swim itself was decent, I just didn't have what I needed. I had one bad turn when the touch pad was a little grippier than expected, causing me to go deep, but I really worked my turns in warm up, and my turns off the far wall were solid.

The 200 free will be a near thing using Ande's magic equation. I went 54.04(?), so double that and add 10 seconds, 1:58.08... I need to go 1:58.09, so there is room to spare.

Nerves were a non-issue today. Warm up was much better. I am really starting to agree with ehoch, I need racing practice.

This morning, did some broomstick twists and used the foam roller on the legs. That really loosened things up, and I think I will make it a regular pre meet warm up.

For Tim: My lifetime best 100 is 50.0x and my Zones time was 54.22 shaved with legskins.

I expected this to be the most difficult A cut to make. Hopefully I am right and I can break 1:58 tomorrow.

Submit "USA-S 100 free" to Digg Submit "USA-S 100 free" to del.icio.us Submit "USA-S 100 free" to StumbleUpon Submit "USA-S 100 free" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

At least, you went faster than Zones. Good luck with your 200 free.
    Congrats on your masters PB! The 100 did look like the relatively hardest cut of the three.

Only a 400 warm up? That's my least fav part of USA meets, figuring out how and where to warm up amidst the chaos.

The foam roller just loosens up things and doesn't make anything sore?
    Soon, you will be at USA-S meets with QTs and hopefully no more chaos. But, I still can't believe that you have such chaos with a 13 and over session. Then again, maybe it is a yards meet thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Congrats on your masters PB! The 100 did look like the relatively hardest cut of the three.

Only a 400 warm up? That's my least fav part of USA meets, figuring out how and where to warm up amidst the chaos.

The foam roller just loosens up things and doesn't make anything sore?
    My warm up was pretty short, but I also was warming up until about 10 minutes before my race. Probably did 100 ez, 4x50 fast turns, 100 strong, got out and waited behind the blocks for about 10 minutes before the race. Worked out great.

The foam roller doesn't leave me sore. If something is tight it hurts to roll it, in a good way, but yesterday my legs were just leaden. Rolling seemed to help that. The twists relaxed the tightness in the torso. I was pretty surprised actually. Does the foam roller leave you sore? Does your foam roller have sharp metal spikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Soon, you will be at USA-S meets with QTs and hopefully no more chaos. But, I still can't believe that you have such chaos with a 13 and over session. Then again, maybe it is a yards meet thing.
    There are 500 kids at the meet, probably 250 each session, plus parents and coaches and it is a BB meet, the first one of the season. 70 kids NTed the 100 free, so about a quarter of the kids are brand new to USA-S, I would say another 50% aren't all that serious. The chaos is organized, but space is confined.

Here is what the deck looks like. The far left is THE problem. The doors on deck are at the bottom left, the locker rooms and coaches offices enter off the left, the blocks are on the left, the path from the doors to 50% of the stands are on the left. Poor traffic planning. The pool itself is decent, but rather shallow.

Here is an example of where a lot of A meets are held. All the viewing is on the upper deck, no need for parents on deck ever. The deck entry is at the bottom left, the locker rooms are too the right, the starting blocks are at the far end of the pool, the swimmer seating is underneath the viewer seating and there are bleachers behind the blocks for a ready area. Zones was held here, and there were no traffic problems and plenty of warm up/down space. The A meets are at much better pools than the BB meets.

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    My warm up was pretty short, but I also was warming up until about 10 minutes before my race. Probably did 100 ez, 4x50 fast turns, 100 strong, got out and waited behind the blocks for about 10 minutes before the race. Worked out great.
    Nice 100- I find it difficult to drop a lot of time in the 100 in mid-season meets. I think I swam 4 straight 100s within 0.5sec of each other last year and only dropped with a full taper. Would that be your normal warmup?
    Thanks, I think I need to get down to a 52 low before taper to have a good shot at breaking 1:50. I know I have a least a some easy time drops in my starts and turns and probably in my stroke and kick as well. If I am stuck at 54 low, 53 high for the rest of the year, I will be a little worried.

I don't think I have a normal warm up yet. I did more at Zones.
    Just swimming at an A meet pool will help your times! I'm very choosey about my USA meets. I'll only swim in a decent pool. I think parents are banned from the decks at all meets here now.

I used to fret about warm up literally for years. Now, I don't worry as much, and add hot showers. But it definitely takes me more than 400 to loosen up.

I haven't used my foam roller in awhile. Keep forgetting.

Why do you think your legs were leaden?
    [QUOTE=qbrain;bt21093]There are 500 kids at the meet, probably 250 each session, plus parents and coaches and it is a BB meet, the first one of the season. 70 kids NTed the 100 free, so about a quarter of the kids are brand new to USA-S, I would say another 50% aren't all that serious. The chaos is organized, but space is confined.

Here is what the deck looks like. The far left is THE problem. The doors on deck are at the bottom left, the locker rooms and coaches offices enter off the left, the blocks are on the left, the path from the doors to 50% of the stands are on the left. Poor traffic planning. The pool itself is decent, but rather shallow.

Here is an example of where a lot of A meets are held. All the viewing is on the upper deck, no need for parents on deck ever. The deck entry is at the bottom left, the locker rooms are too the right, the starting blocks are at the far end of the pool, the swimmer seating is underneath the viewer seating and there are bleachers behind the blocks for a ready area. Zones was held here, and there were no traffic problems and plenty of warm up/down space. The A meets are at much better pools than the BB meets.

God Q,
    The first pool is pretty bad on a logistics level while the second one looks like heaven. The pics give us an idea of what you are going through.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Why do you think your legs were leaden?
    I thought the problem was lack of hard kick sets and my legs were out of shape, but my legs feel better today than yesterday. Nerves?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    God Q,
    The first pool is pretty bad on a logistics level while the second one looks like heaven. The pics give us an idea of what you are going through.
    Now you understand why A cuts are so important to me There are 5 50M pools in the area that all have similar setup, that was the best picture of one, not the best pool. All the A meets are at one of those pools.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I thought the problem was lack of hard kick sets and my legs were out of shape, but my legs feel better today than yesterday. Nerves?
    I have this leaden leg issue all the time as well. Sometimes my legs are tired going up the stairs after a taper. I guess this means our legs need much more rest than we think they do. Perhaps that's why some stop lifting 4 weeks out from their focus meet. But I don't train or swim meets that way, so that doesn't work well for me.

Your legs may feel better because, despite swimming two days in a row, you've only done a brief bit, almost like a taper workout. So maybe they're more rested. Or you could just be feeling better too.

Nerves can play tricks on your mind too. I think going with the blank mind is always best. lol
    Also, I notice that if I'm at a USA meet alone, I tend to get more nervy as I'm not chatting with fellow masters swimmers and there is a lot of waiting around. Masters meets are more relaxed.