View RSS Feed

Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton

Update from the Ward

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Not much news to report.

I awoke this morning to note that the inflammatory striations appeared to have diminished.

I scalded the area in the shower at 5 a.m., put more antibiotic cream on, went back to sleep till 10 a.m.

I had coffee and an antibiotic pill and spent the rest of the morning getting my affairs in order.

Another scalding, another goo application, and a nap so deep it was like being folded into the Kafka nut.

When I awoke, striations appeared to be restriating.

I ate a sandwich, watched Pineapple Express, took another antibiotic pill, wondered at how truly disgusting human flesh can quickly become, tried not to dwell too deeply on the etiology of arachnidism and the like.

To be honest about it, so far no positive developments. It is possible that the rate of worsening is slowing, but that could be wishful thinking.

Another scalding now, another application of goo that is supposedly good for impetigo and MRSA, then we shall see how the night goes.

Since I didn't know what impetigo was, I just did a web search and found out it is a common skin infection among kids:

here are two types of impetigo: bullous impetigo (large blisters) and non-bullous impetigo (crusted) impetigo. The non-bullous or crusted form is most common. This is usually caused by staphylococcus aureus but can also be caused by infection with group A streptococcus. Non-bullous begins as tiny blisters. These blisters eventually burst and leave small wet patches of red skin that may weep fluid. Gradually, a tan or yellowish-brown crust covers the affected area, making it look like it has been coated with honey or brown sugar.

Bullous impetigo is nearly always caused by staphylococcus aureus, which triggers larger fluid-containing blisters that appear clear, then cloudy. These blisters are more likely to stay intact longer on the skin without bursting.

My friend Jack Martin told me he had a staph infecion on his foot, and had to be treated in the hospital.

I am really hoping this doesn't come to that.

Submit "Update from the Ward" to Digg Submit "Update from the Ward" to del.icio.us Submit "Update from the Ward" to StumbleUpon Submit "Update from the Ward" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I know your infestation is not impetigo. After raising 3 kids and teaching for years I am a self-proclaimed expert in impetigo. Your lesions look more flesh-eating and less crusty to me. (at least from what I can see in the pic). Have you talked to your Doctor about the striations? I think that sounds scary, like it's spreading upward.
    I don't think you should mess around with this thing. I would err on the safe side if I were you jimby.
    Why all the scaldings? Sounds dreadful!

I doubt these things go away overnight though. And the internet is a dangerous thing for hypochondriacs.
    You guys are both right. I read that if it was being caused by an infection susceptible to antibiotics, I should start to see some positive changes within three days. So far, that hasn't happened, which leaves me to wonder if it is an infection of such a nature.

If not, then it could either be a virus, a toxin (spider venom or something like that), or a microbe (bacteria or rickettsia) that has become resistant (like MRRA), or--perhaps most likely of all--an hysterical wound caused by worry.

Scalding is probably too strong a term. I just find that application of very hot water relieves the itching for a couple hours.

However, today has been less a matter of itching and more a matter of low grade pain.

Jimmy, we hardly knew ye?

or, Jimmy, you hypo! We knew ye entirely too well!

Time will tell.

I shall try to distract myself now with the Steelers.

Thanks for your concern.
    I agree with Bob. Not impetigo! I had it in high school when I was trying to impress a boy. Needless to say things didn't work out. But I'm not bitter.
    Why the scaldings? doesn't that accelerate the flow of poison round your body?