View RSS Feed

Meet Director's Path to Tranquility

In the Hot Seat

Rate this Entry
September 20
Board of Directors Meeting.

The board requested that I take the meet directorship again for the 2010 meet. Admittedly in some ways, I would like the job again. There is a satisfaction at running a successful meet where many swimmers enjoy the meet, express gratitude and a desire to return, and do so the next year. And maybe I am afraid that someone else will screw things up, discouraging swimmers from returning again.

But on the other hand, I would like to swim in the meet as a participant. I found it mentally and physically difficult to do so a few years ago when I tried.

As meet director, I signed up to swim the breaststroke events. All three races were disasters, with the 200 breast race the worst. I was unable to do a pullout at the last turn, having run out of steam, even though there was plenty at the pool. . .

This was the year the water temperature clocked in at a tropical 88 degrees. I like to blame my poor races on the water temperature. But it was also mentally hard to run around the event ensuring things were running correctly, and then jump into the hot water warmup lane, loosen up, and swim a race. I decided to give up trying to swim and direct at the same meet.

The pool manager was told in no uncertain terms that if the water ended up this way again for our meet, we would rent another pool. One thing that Fairfax County pool managers hate more than the seniors complaining about the cold water temperature is the loss of revenue. Since then, that manager has moved on, and new managers for the subsequent meets have been very cooperative and working with us to solve problems (like the water temperature.)

BOOK OF WISDOM
Only Superman and Wonder Woman can swim in the same meet they are managing.

Submit "In the Hot Seat" to Digg Submit "In the Hot Seat" to del.icio.us Submit "In the Hot Seat" to StumbleUpon Submit "In the Hot Seat" to Google

Updated October 21st, 2009 at 01:07 AM by Rnovitske (color)

Categories
Planning

Comments

Actually, I think many would-be first time meet directors--like Mermaid--would benefit from your blog.

Give us some of the nuts and bolts details--what is the meet, when, how big, etc. Mermaid and CoachChris are trying to do a coaches clinic and a meet here in Pittsburgh for the first time this December--I am sure your advice would be welcome.
    I plan on it in the coming weeks.
    Updated October 19th, 2009 at 12:45 AM by Rnovitske (Having a difficult time using the features on this blog - nothing like 'Blogger')
    Ray, thank you, thank you, thank you. I appreciate your willingness to post your trials and tribulations. I'm trying to schedule an SCM meet for late 2010 and am so far unable to get MoCo to budge on renting us pool time.
    Definitely think you have an audience!

Perhaps we should put a post out on the forum that this blog is open... its unique - and needed.

Thanks Ray!