View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

The sugar connection

Rate this Entry
by , October 18th, 2009 at 11:27 PM (429 Views)
POTS was a little kicked up today. Wasn't sure why as I didn't work out yesterday and the weather was cool today. What I did out of the ordinary was eat a little bit more sugar than I normally do. Saturday night, had some ice cream after dinner. Also had hot cocoa with whip cream while watching the football game (Gee, wonder why it has taken me 7 months to lose 10 pounds? ). Today, had some ice cream after lunch.

I noticed early this afternoon, that HR was higher than usual. Was going pretty high when I would stand up (up to 142), which is a sign POTS is kicked up. This is exhausting and it is very tempting to just lie down and take a nap. I've discovered, however, that the best thing to do is to do some easy to moderate exercise. This seems to re-regulate things. Anyway, as I've discovered, eating lots of sugar on days I have not worked out and eating it early in the day seems to play a part in getting things kicked up. I have been tested for diabetes. What was really strange and threw the docs off was the fact that through the whole test, my blood sugar never went any higher than 70. Apparently, this is all part of the autonomic dysfunction thing.

So, went out to the track for a light to moderate workout of 4 miles. Got a chance to check out my stride a little. Ran an easy 1 mile to warm-up and then did 1 mile where I strided the straights (very moderate) and went easy on the curves. Next mile, I alternated running a 400 moderate with a 400 easy. On final mile, alternated a 200 moderate with 200 easy for an 800 and then cooled it down with an easy 800.

HR is doing better as I am writing this. Looking down right now, HR while sitting is in mid-50s. When I stand, it is hanging out in the low 90s which means POTS is still a little kicked up but nowhere near as bad as it was this afternoon before I ran.

Submit "The sugar connection" to Digg Submit "The sugar connection" to del.icio.us Submit "The sugar connection" to StumbleUpon Submit "The sugar connection" to Google

Updated October 19th, 2009 at 12:06 AM by elise526

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments