View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Which Meet? Monday, Oct. 19

Rate this Entry
Did this on the Ande plan (M = 1900 + medium weights)

AM Drylands:

long arm crunches, 2 x 25
bird dogs w/broomstick on back, 2 x 15
bicycles, 2 x 50
back extensions, 2 x 15

prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
scapular wall slides, 2 x 25

bench press, 80 x 2 x 10
HS hi row, 110 x 3 x 12
alternating hammers, 15 x 2 x 20

10 minutes stretching

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

Hypoxic set:

10 x 50, done as 25 shooter (no fins) + 25 EZ
odds = on back
evens = on tummy

50 EZ

Speed work:

2 x (50 AFAP back w/fins + 100 EZ)
went high 24ish

4 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)
2 free, 1 evil, 1 fast doggy paddle drill
felt slow

100 EZ

Total: 1950

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

After taking two days off and getting lots of sleep, I woke up today and was groggy and sleepy and lazy. WTH?! It's now late afternoon and I still feel groggy. I think I probably should have gotten in an easy recovery swim yesterday instead of taking the whole day off. I hope I wake up sometime this week ...

Which SCM Meet?

Here are the two meets I can attend:

December 5-6: Colonies Zone SCM Championships at Flushing
Meadows, NY
http://www.metroswim.org/entryforms/...hampsEntry.pdf

December 11-13: New England Masters LMSC SCM Championships
in Boston, MA http://www.greatbaymasters.org/09scmchamp.php

Originally, I was just planning on Zones in NY. But I'm so cross about the order of events and lumping together of sprints, that I am considering going to the NE meet. Pros of NE meet: slightly later start, bigger meet so more rest, women swim separately from men, slightly better order of events. Pros of NY meet: somewhat closer, pool may be faster, more folks I know will be there, then I could go to Mermaid's meet the next weekend. I'm going to compare costs next.

Underwater work:

Ande had alerted me to an interview with Ariana Kukors. As he noted in his SFF tips, she is a big proponent of underwater work as set forth here:

P: "For someone who has asthma you can kick pretty darn well at the end of a 200 IM."

A: "Lot's of training, lot's of training. During sets I work on kicking underwater all day long. I have a kick count that I do and we do a lot of underwater kick at practice. Just from the training I've taught myself how to be comfortable under there."

P: A kick count, what do you mean by that?

A: "I try to take at least 6 kicks, when I'm swimming warm up, when I'm swimming main sets, 6 kicks off everywall."

A: "Underwater sets, it's all in your head, whether or not you can make it."

Bird Dogs w/Broomstick:

I tried this today just for a little variety. It's not that easy. Here's the Auburn youtube clip where they do this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E_MKU2EyCI"]YouTube - Auburn Weight Workout, Part 1 April 19, 2008 on Floswimming[/ame]

Submit "Which Meet?  Monday, Oct. 19" to Digg Submit "Which Meet?  Monday, Oct. 19" to del.icio.us Submit "Which Meet?  Monday, Oct. 19" to StumbleUpon Submit "Which Meet?  Monday, Oct. 19" to Google

Updated October 19th, 2009 at 05:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

How about the Sunbelt meet on Jan, 30/31 here in Charlotte? Bring Jazzbone, Chris, etc. with you. I can probably convince Furdip to come as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    How about the Sunbelt meet on Jan, 30/31 here in Charlotte? Bring Jazzbone, Chris, etc. with you. I can probably convince Furdip to come as well.
    Is it SCY? Or SCM?

I just need to get a SCM meet in before the end of the year. Unlike the CA folks who swim SCM every weekend, my SCM season consists of one meet. Gotta make it count.
    If SCM, that's kind of intriguing.
    Fort -- I've not swum at either pool so I can't comment on pool quality. I'd choose the New England one based upon your comments above, especially on order of events. In addition, having 1 more week is always good for both training & taper.
    good job fort,
    come to long beach

6 SDKs off every turn in practice is really hard, 6 takes me about half way and that's a lot of not breathing, might stick with 4, also been working on my belly SDKs & plan to up how many I take on my 50 fly to 8 or 10

on which meet
    pick the better pool and the place that's less likely to get snowed in
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    Fort -- I've not swum at either pool so I can't comment on pool quality. I'd choose the New England one based upon your comments above, especially on order of events. In addition, having 1 more week is always good for both training & taper.
    I think this is what I'm leaning toward now, though the thought to go to NE just occurred to me today. I could swim the 100 back there and I can't at the NY meet. I think the NE meet is bigger and longer, and that is really more suitable for me. Unlike you superdudes, I need REAL REST between events.
    The CLT meet is SCY. My last SCM meet is in 2 weeks in Columbia, SC. Good riddance to that dreadful distance and boo boo to Patrick for making it look so easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    good job fort,
    come to long beach

6 SDKs off every turn in practice is really hard, 6 takes me about half way and that's a lot of not breathing
    Long beach?! lol

In addition to my ongoing Dixie Zone boycott, I'm always boycotting the west coast. I can't do the time change and it's waaaay too far. But it would be very fun to swim with y'all.

Either meet could be snowed in. When I went to Boston in 2007, we had tons of snow, but got the meet in. The BU pool is fast, except I recall disliking lane 8.
    Updated October 19th, 2009 at 06:26 PM by The Fortress
    I'm boycotting your boycott.
    I'm boycotting your boycott.
    I may reconsider my boycott and return to Auburn in 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I may reconsider my boycott and return to Auburn in 2011.
    You should definitely reconsider. I know I'm now going to be on the lookout for fast pools and meets in the southeast ... as long as the pools are indoors. Auburn 2011 is on my list and will mark my 3rd trip in my life to Alabama, all of them swimming-related.
    Then, Patrick, you must come to Charlotte at the end of January.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    You should definitely reconsider. I know I'm now going to be on the lookout for fast pools and meets in the southeast ... as long as the pools are indoors. Auburn 2011 is on my list and will mark my 3rd trip in my life to Alabama, all of them swimming-related.
    Auburn Nats is on my list as well. I loved the pool when I was there last Feb. and had some big time drops there. So I'm fond of it! I'm really just joshing about the DZ. They just seem to do a hack job of timely reporting meet results or reporting them at all. So I would be very careful about which meets I attended there.
    One plus to Flushing Meadow. I went to a meet there last year and they had touchpads for 25m splits. A nice touch.
    Yeah, you probably have to fly to either location so probably do NE Champs. I am SCM Zones because I want to get a 1500 time in and I can drive to it. The meet director really needs to learn how to put a proper order of events together. I was hoping to put some 1776 relays together but I can do the 800 one because it is right before the IM and the 400 relays are between my 400 free and 200 fly, .
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Yeah, you probably have to fly to either location so probably do NE Champs. I am SCM Zones because I want to get a 1500 time in and I can drive to it. The meet director really needs to learn how to put a proper order of events together. I was hoping to put some 1776 relays together but I can do the 800 one because it is right before the IM and the 400 relays are between my 400 free and 200 fly, .
    I can't figure out why they adopted that order of events. The only folks that are fine, as usual, are the 5 pack freestylers. But having the 400 IM and 800 free together sucks for you. And having all the sprints crammed together sucks for sprinters. Perhaps they wanted maximum efficiency, get people in and out of the meet as quickly as possible, or only attend one session on Sat.? That's nice in theory, but not what most people are looking for at a champ meet for which they've tapered ... I'm happy to wait around until 4:00 rather than wrap up ASAP by 1:00.

I'm leaning toward NE, though I would have liked to check out the Flushing Meadow pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    One plus to Flushing Meadow. I went to a meet there last year and they had touchpads for 25m splits. A nice touch.
    That is sorta nice, but not that important for 50s!

Do they put lane lines against the walls in lanes 1 and 8? I seem to frequently get stuck in those lanes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I can't figure out why they adopted that order of events. The only folks that are fine, as usual, are the 5 pack freestylers. But having the 400 IM and 800 free together sucks for you.
    I will the 1500 instead of the 800. Remember, 2 for 1 special. Hopefully, I will get enough rest that way.
    I'm happy to wait around until 4:00 rather than wrap up ASAP by 1:00.
    I'm sure all the timers and officials are comforted knowing that you are happy to sit around for an extra 3 hours while they are on their feet the whole time Just kidding. I have no idea, but often there is a time they need to vacate by because of the pool rental agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin
    I'm sure all the timers and officials are comforted knowing that you are happy to sit around for an extra 3 hours while they are on their feet the whole time Just kidding. I have no idea, but often there is a time they need to vacate by because of the pool rental agreement.
    lol, You're right! The timers and officials are troopers for these meets. I just meant a longer meet is better for me personally as a dreadfully wimpy sprinter.

I know that's the case (rental agreement) with some pools in our area. WRT to the NY meet, on Saturday, they've just chosen to run two sessions separating the sprint and distance events instead of one session mixing those events. I'd just prefer the latter.

Are you and Julie going to Zones? See you this weekend!