Going to Boston, Tues. Oct. 20

Rate this Entry
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Did some hypoxic work on my 5 day rest plan:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick, drill

Hypoxic Kick Work:

6 x 100 back w/fins @ 2:00, 10 kicks each 25
(since I came up a couple yards before the flags, this was almost like 4 consecutive shooters)

100 EZ

Speed work:

4 x 50 dolphin kick w/fins
50 = 25 cruiser hypoxic kick + 25 AFAP shooter

100 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP + 25 EZ)

150 EZ

Total: 2050

Massage:

Got a deep tissue massage today. Was totally mashed and feel rather beat up and tired. Probably take 2 days to recover. lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

A 5 day "rest" is approximately what I did before the Albatross meet in March. I looked back and saw that I was doing around 2000+ with only fast 25s, a few fast 50s, hypoxic work and easy speed fly. So hopefully, I won't have leaden legs by Sunday.

SCM Meet:

Booked flight to Boston today. Weighed the pros and cons overnight. Chose Boston b/c: 50 back isn't the first event, better order of events, I can swim the 100 back, longer meet so more rest, 10:00 am start, the MIA Stud may go, and it's slightly cheaper. This is my third travel meet of the year, which is rather unusual for me (Auburn, Indy, Boston), but I really wanted to swim SCM. I think I'll be passing on a major SCY travel meet next year as a result to avoid undue marital discord. Plus, I may go somewhere fun and cool on Spring Break instead of planning life around spring meets! I may have to be creative in finding a SCY meet to taper for in the spring. There's always Zones, of course, and I definitely will swim that meet. But it could arrive shortly after not swimming for a week if I go away for spring break.

Plan on swimming the following line up at NE Champs, reserving the right to scratch of course.

Saturday:

100 IM
50 evil
50 back
50 free

Sunday:

50 fly
100 back
100 free
(If I do 100 free, I may go for another 50 free split if my Saturday effort isn't the best.)

This is the exact same line up I swam at the NE Champs in 2007. I see they left 200 fly until almost the last event of the meet, but that still does not tempt me!

Jimby and I chatted about meets earlier today. He opined that it was perhaps merely "superstitious" that I would want actual rest between events to clear lactate and such. This is clearly mid-D speak!

Food:

Since I stopped blogging my food, I think I've gotten sloppier about eating. I still eat very healthy, but I think I've been eating more than I need to and too many slices of pie. I also had a conversation with She Puff the other day that caused me to wonder about calories from liquids. She mentioned she was dehydrated from the hot yoga. I suggested coconut water and she asked me how many calories it was. I didn't know. But I checked and it's 70. Between that, endurox, G2, and the smoothies I was addicted to all summer (and the chard), I may be swilling down too many drinkable calories. Have to ponder that.

I also may consider a 30 day ban on alcohol ala Q and Patrick before NE Champs. But this is rather extreme. lol

Submit "Going to Boston, Tues. Oct. 20" to Digg Submit "Going to Boston, Tues. Oct. 20" to del.icio.us Submit "Going to Boston, Tues. Oct. 20" to StumbleUpon Submit "Going to Boston, Tues. Oct. 20" to Google

Updated October 20th, 2009 at 06:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Planning

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    You are such a Jet Set Masters Swimmer!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    You are such a Jet Set Masters Swimmer!!!!
    Could be short lived!

Plus, I have a soft spot for Boston. I went to college fairly close, lived there a year and all my relatives are from NH and ME. It's just a fluke that I grew up in MN.
    I also may consider a 30 day ban on alcohol ala Q and Patrick before NE Champs. But this is rather extreme. lol

When I have time to blog my reflections on my short SCM season, I'm certainly going to point out that I believe going alcohol free for a number of weeks allowed me to train better. I'm on a "drinking week" right now and can already feel differences even though I only had 2 glasses of vino on Sunday after the meet and 1 last night. I'll probably be a little more relaxed and less vigilant through the end of this year, but I fully expect to be going alcohol free again after the new year for extended periods as I train for SCY.
    I have considered doing the alcohol ban myself. I don't consume a lot during the week (1 beer a night) but I can sort of let it rip on Saturday night, as treat for getting up at 4:40 am all week long. I would be interested in the benefits of doing this from Patrick but I can't remember to read all these blogs.
    I definitely feel better with workouts that I'm not drinking anymore. Seeing your post made me think of when I've last had anything, and I think I was a glass (plastic cup really) of wine on a night flight back in May. It is tough to resist, especially when flying, it is free, and the flight attendant walks around with an open bottle.

I'm sure you'll do great at the Boston meet, and it is always a great place to visit. I was in the area for 4 months while in the Army, and just loved hopping on the T and going out (the T was free for military).
    I'd choose Boston over Queens any day. They run a really great meet by the way.

Good luck with the prohibition!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage

When I have time to blog my reflections on my short SCM season, I'm certainly going to point out that I believe going alcohol free for a number of weeks allowed me to train better. I'm on a "drinking week" right now and can already feel differences even though I only had 2 glasses of vino on Sunday after the meet and 1 last night. I'll probably be a little more relaxed and less vigilant through the end of this year, but I fully expect to be going alcohol free again after the new year for extended periods as I train for SCY.
    This seems like a good, not too onerous, plan. I can't see abstaining the rest of my life! But I think a 30 day experiment might be in order just for me personally to see the effects on training, sleep, etc. I know Poolraat tried this and saw no difference whatsoever. But I've never made the attempt.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I have considered doing the alcohol ban myself. I don't consume a lot during the week (1 beer a night) but I can sort of let it rip on Saturday night, as treat for getting up at 4:40 am all week long. I would be interested in the benefits of doing this from Patrick but I can't remember to read all these blogs.
    You have to read Patrick's blog. It's great -- not just workouts, but reflections and analyses. Really worthwhile. Patrick was experimenting with alcohol deprivation to see how it effected the quality of his sleep and his training. I was thinking of making the attempt to procure better sleep, but I'm sleeping like a log at the moment for a change.

I'm a bit like you. I always have a glass of wine every night, sometimes more. It's my little relaxing habit.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I definitely feel better with workouts that I'm not drinking anymore. Seeing your post made me think of when I've last had anything, and I think I was a glass (plastic cup really) of wine on a night flight back in May. It is tough to resist, especially when flying, it is free, and the flight attendant walks around with an open bottle.

I'm sure you'll do great at the Boston meet, and it is always a great place to visit. I was in the area for 4 months while in the Army, and just loved hopping on the T and going out (the T was free for military).
    Tee totaling since May! No wonder you have no body fat. Jazz was researching the effects of alcohol (now that he's started imbibing). His initial research showed no correlation with body comp, but subsequent searches showed a correlation to body fat. Hence, my wondering if I could become more lean without the vino (and other liquids).
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    I'd choose Boston over Queens any day. They run a really great meet by the way.

Good luck with the prohibition!
    I've heard the NE SCY meet in March is fabulous. I think the SCM meet at BU is somewhat newer. I went in 2007, and the snow storms wrecked havoc with the start times. But it was fine. Swam well and had fun. So I'm hoping for a repeat.

I'll be bummed not to meet you and Rob though!
    Updated October 20th, 2009 at 09:44 PM by The Fortress
    Fortress, can't wait to meet you at BU. Yes, this meet used to be at Wheaton. Snow 2 years ago was brutal and I got a migraine at the end of Saturday so that was that --blew off Sunday. I had just started masters, so that was plenty for me. The 800 free on Friday night tends to keep me up way too late. Exhausting.

Hey, met Elizabeth Hurley whilst shopping in Bermuda!

It was a blast and I will be posting a blog on the swim once I get settled back in to normal life.

Re BU...I think there is practically no overlap in the events we swim. I'm pushing the envelope when I get down to 100 free...but daresay I won't be in your heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimmerGirlKT
    Fortress, can't wait to meet you at BU. Yes, this meet used to be at Wheaton. Snow 2 years ago was brutal and I got a migraine at the end of Saturday so that was that --blew off Sunday. I had just started masters, so that was plenty for me. The 800 free on Friday night tends to keep me up way too late. Exhausting.

Hey, met Elizabeth Hurley whilst shopping in Bermuda!

It was a blast and I will be posting a blog on the swim once I get settled back in to normal life.

Re BU...I think there is practically no overlap in the events we swim. I'm pushing the envelope when I get down to 100 free...but daresay I won't be in your heat.

Glad you met Elizabeth!

How'd you do? Hope you swam fast and had a great time.

Well, I'm a wimpy sprinter and you're an OW & distance geek. But I'll cheer for you in your long events!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Patrick was experimenting with alcohol deprivation
    So eloquently put.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    So eloquently put.
    I thought so too. :-P

But what's your preferred characterization of said experiment?
    Updated October 20th, 2009 at 10:07 PM by The Fortress
    You mentioned my experience with abstaining from alcohol. It didn't seem to make a difference in Clovis. In the months between Clovis and Indy, not only did I drink my usual (1 or 2 beers each evening after work), but also had wine or beer with dinner while in Indy and I swam as well or better, considering the neck and shoulder issues I had in Indy.
    Whatever you do, don't change your eating/drinking habits the week before your meet. This can throw your body off. Make a change, if you need to, after the meet.

Don't see you as needing to worry about calories in sports drinks. If you needed to lose weight (which you don't), this would be a concern.

With all the things you have to balance - work, kids, life in general, why would you want to add this to the list of things to worry about if you absolutely don't have to?
    Quote Originally Posted by poolraat
    You mentioned my experience with abstaining from alcohol. It didn't seem to make a difference in Clovis. In the months between Clovis and Indy, not only did I drink my usual (1 or 2 beers each evening after work), but also had wine or beer with dinner while in Indy and I swam as well or better, considering the neck and shoulder issues I had in Indy.
    I thought that was what I had recalled. I haven't noticed drinking wine or beer at a meet has any ill effect either.

Does the alcohol effect your sleep? I have certainly read that it can make your sleep less deep or less effective. I think that was Patrick's experience.
    Updated October 20th, 2009 at 10:17 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Whatever you do, don't change your eating/drinking habits the week before your meet. This can throw your body off. Make a change, if you need to, after the meet.

With all the things you have to balance - work, kids, life in general, why would you want to add this to the list of things to worry about if you absolutely don't have to?
    I won't! I'll be drinking and eating away, for lack of a more eloquent phrase, until the Sprint Classic. I started taking a new medication (BCP) once (before NE Champs in 2007, in fact) that did NOT agree with me. Won't do that again!

Kids = why a nice glass of chard is necessary at 10:00 pm. My littlest one, a horrible perfectionist, had a terrible time getting through a lot of homework. My middle one thinks she's going to do 2 sports throughout high school and skimp on sleep. And my eldest is pissed off about his injury and groaning over studying for SATs. (Though he is psyched about an upcoming college trip.)

I don't worry too much about the sports drinks. I was just pondering cutting out the alcohol. Or I could just go back to running like you!

I know you've been researching nutrition issues for awhile. Have you found out anything worth passing on? I know you said earlier it was better to have a sport drink than water while exercising.
    I've read some pretty scary things about low blood sodium. According to the book I've been reading in bits in pieces (Advanced Sports Nutrition by Dan Benardot), "Low blood sodium is most likely to occur during prolonged exercise in dehydrated athletes who lose large amounts of sodium through sweating." Benardot also adds, "In general, unless it is contraindicated because of a medical condition and the athlete is under the careful supervision of a physician, adding salt to meals and beverages is a desirable strategy for avoiding low blood electrolytes and reducing hyponatremia."

Some of the signs and symptoms of low blood sodium that he lists are as follows:

cramping
    nausea
    swollen fingers
    pulmonary edema
    seizures
    coma

Benardot also adds, " Consumption of large fluid levels is also associated with frequent urination, but this may be somewhat mediated by consumption of sodium-containing fluids. In addition, superhydration is associated with higher sweat rates and lower heart rate during exercise."

I had a seizure after a swim practice my sophmore year in college that resulted from low blood sodium. Only seizure I had in my life and emergency room docs told me this was the reason.

Electrolyte imbalances are just bad news. I'd rather hold on to a few pounds than have another one of those seizures. That being said, I stick with Gatorade or Accelerade when working out. May start drinking even more to see if it fends of the leg cramps I've been getting lately.
    Updated October 21st, 2009 at 12:43 AM by elise526
    Fort: I briefly thought I could join you in Boston until I realized that the Turkey Claus meet is that same weekend and I will be on deck for that weekend. Good luck and swim fast.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast