View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wednesday, Oct. 21

Rate this Entry
Drylands Lite:

long arm crunches, 1 x 50
good morning darlings, 1 x 50
straight leg lift + hip lift on bench, 2 x 15
broomstick twists, 1 x 25

med ball start plyo, 1 x 10
(For Patrick -- use 2 6 lb med balls. place fingers under ball in front. bend knees and get into position as if doing a start. then explosively push back with arms and hands and throw balls against back wall as hard and fast as possible. we have a 15 foot room adjacent to the weight room. I stood a couple feet or more in front of it. The balls flew in the air and bounced right before the wall.)

HS hi row, 90 x 3 x 10 fast
bench press, 60 x 3 x 10 fast
alternating hammers, 15 x 2 x 20 fast

external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15 each arm


Swim/SCM/Solo:

Swam in my hot shallow gym pool. Thankfully, it wasn't quite as hot as usual b/c it had just been filled.

Warm up:

750 variety

Speed Work:

4 x (4 x 25)
#1 = easy speed fly
#2 = EZ
#3 = AFAP (2 free, 2 evil)
#4 = EZ

50 EZ

2 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 150 EZ)
#1 = backstroke (mid 27ish)
#2 = evil (33ish)
(had never done a timed evil with fins before. but if it's good enough for Allen Stark, it's good enough for me.

4 x 25 SDK shooter on back, cruised them

1 x 100 front scull

50 EZ

Total: 1850 meters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rambling Thoughts:

Like Geek, I had a lot of thoughts rambling through my head today whilst swimming:

1. How long can a person who likes aerobic work stay on the CDVB plan without going crazy?

2. Should I stick to my weights/plyo+sprint+hot yoga plan through NE Champs? Or wimp out and go back to my tried and true weights+heavy on the sprint swimming + cardio?

3. It may have been really dunce like to adopt this plan in the fall when the running weather is at it's best. It was gorgeous here today, and I was inside.

4. Plyo anecdote: Mini Fort (who has only been swimming 1-2 x week max) says her legs feel stronger, she's actually been kicking and her practice times aren't too bad. (She didn't kick much for the last 2 years b/c of bad knees/tendonitis.) She attributes this to volleyball. I was thinking about this and, as an outside hitter, she does a fair amount of jumping, which = plyo. She also mentioned that one of her friends dropped her 100 evil time from 1:10 to 1:05 last year while playing club volleyball 2x a week instead of doing excessive swimming. Food for thought.

5. Mini Fort was checking out my biceps last night and said I was more "jacked" than some boys on the freshman football team. So, good news, this means I can now beat up high school kids. Awhile ago, I asked on my blog how much/often I could lift without becoming too buff. Jazz said "find out." I may have reached my limit, it seems.

6. I'm pondering whether to swim the 50 back at the Nov. Open the weekend of Nov. 7-8. The meet is in the afternoon and features 50s for all us 13 & Over folks.

7. Still pondering the 30 day abstinence period for alcohol. If Geek does it, I'll be shamed into doing it. But I think he's still pondering too.

8. I need to look at last year's results from the NE SCM meet to figure out my seed times. I usually do this in an effort to stay out of lanes 1 & 8, and this often backfires. I seem to end up in those lanes in champ meets where women swim separately b/c the speedy 25 year olds grab the middle lanes. But I will nonetheless undertake what is apparently a largely futile effort. Or, I can pull a Stud and just seed myself faster than my actual times. :-P

9. I stepped on the scale today for the first time since my checkup in July. (No scale in the house.) I've gained couple pounds. Don't know whether this is due to the sleep med combo I'm on (both known to have weight gain as a side effect) or to being stronger/more muscle. Or it could just be random variation -- e.g., weighing in the am vs. pm. I may have to go on a diet like Bobinator. Of course, cutting alcohol would probably do the trick. But, despite this, I have made progress in the ass department, and I think Q could bounce a quarter off it.

10. No #10. I feel no need to have a round number of thoughts.

11. Forgot one. I am thinking of ignoring Maglischio and only taking 1 breath in the 50 free on Sunday. I guess the best place would be after the flags off the turn?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thrive Longer, Lift Weights:

Here's an article from the Washington Post that supports the fact that weight lifting is an affirmatively good thing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...01.html?sub=AR

I should have focused more on this issue while writing my little point-counterpoint with Jimby!

Submit "Wednesday, Oct. 21" to Digg Submit "Wednesday, Oct. 21" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday, Oct. 21" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday, Oct. 21" to Google

Updated October 21st, 2009 at 06:22 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. pwb's Avatar
    Thanks for the plyo advice ... I'll start with 6 ounce tennis balls, but apply the same principal!

    1. How long can a person who likes aerobic work stay on the CDVB plan without going crazy?

    Though I wasn't doing that plan, my week of taper where I was doing very little aerobic work, but either real easy or AFAP was hard by the end of the week. If I hadn't had the meet, I would've broken down and done something like 1 x 500, 2 x 400, 3 x 300, 4 x 200, 5 x 100 because I was going a little "aerobic deprivation stir crazy."

    5. Mini Fort was checking out my biceps last night and said I was more "jacked" than some boys on the freshman football team.

    Across the country, my 6 year old told me that her teammate (also 6) was more "jacked" than me.

    7. Still pondering the 30 day abstinence period for alcohol.

    If you can't commit to 30, start with 2 weeks or start like qbrain did and abstain during the week. I did 3 weeks off, 1 on, 6 weeks off, 1 on and will probably do some variation of multiple weeks completely off followed by a week on.

    8. I need to look at last year's results from the NE SCM meet to figure out my seed times.

    Stop trying to game the system and just enter your best times.

    I may have to go on a diet like Bobinator. Of course, cutting alcohol would probably do the trick.

    Interestingly, for me, when I stopped drinking I was hoping to drop about 5 or so lbs to get back to 185 (weight I stopped swimming @ my senior year of college), but cutting out alcohol didn't really result in much weight change. Now, if you've got a serious problem you're hiding, maybe it'll be different.
  2. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    5. Mini Fort was checking out my biceps last night and said I was more "jacked" than some boys on the freshman football team. So, good news, this means I can now beat up high school kids. Awhile ago, I asked on my blog how much/often I could lift without becoming too buff. Jazz said "find out." I may have reached my limit, it seems.
    Hasn't the New Buffness been correlated with faster swimming? That's how it worked for me. We make sacrifices for our sport
  3. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    Stop trying to game the system and just enter your best times.

    Interestingly, for me, when I stopped drinking I was hoping to drop about 5 or so lbs to get back to 185 (weight I stopped swimming @ my senior year of college), but cutting out alcohol didn't really result in much weight change. Now, if you've got a serious problem you're hiding, maybe it'll be different.
    Yeah, I'm a real secret keeper on my blog ... Really, no weight change? I just assumed it would have the same effect as giving up sweets or the equivalent. But then I know quite a few people who subscribe to the "set point" theory of weight. Jimby also mentioned to me that he lost weight when he gave up alcohol.

    You people who are in lane 4 all the time never have to worry about minutiae like outside lanes, etc. :-P:-P I literally almost crashed my hand into a protruding ladder while swimming the 100 fly in lane 8 at BU in 2007. No one really likes an end lane, unless it's a super fast pool with little turbulence. I know some (meet directors even) who alter their seed times to avoid end lanes. Even when I enter super fast times, I often end up in end lanes. I want to look at the results anyway. Hopefully, with my faster times this last year, I will be seeded better.
  4. scyfreestyler's Avatar
    #4 & #5- A 15 year old kid on our team took some time off (8 months as I recall) to play football and lift weights. Came back to the pool 3 weeks before a meet, swimming 4-5 workouts a week, and wound up going from a previous PB of51 to a 48 in the 100 Free. Was it the weights? Football? I don't know, but it's pretty clear that swimming loads of yardage is not the only way to get faster.


    #10- Well that is odd.
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Hasn't the New Buffness been correlated with faster swimming? That's how it worked for me. We make sacrifices for our sport
    True that. But typically chicks like buff guys and guys don't like buff chicks. So there a different "sacrifice" involved for us chicks and no "sacrifice" involved for you. :-P
    Updated October 21st, 2009 at 06:49 PM by The Fortress
  6. elise526's Avatar
    Glad to hear that Mini Fort feel stronger. Maybe doing less yardage has helped. Personally, I think kids between 14 and 18 are way overtrained. The mega-yardage thing and tapering for only two or three meets a year is outweighed by constant, gradual improvement. These kids need constant reinforcement to keep on going. The positive effect on the pysche often beats out the amount of yardage put in. The time to hit swimmers with mega-yardage is in college when they can take naps between practices.

    I predict that Mini-Fort will go on to swim in college and do quite well. Meanwhile, I predict 50% of her swimming-only friends that train 9 to 10 times a week year-round will not swim in college or will quit after the first year. Maybe Mini Fort will be like Olympian Courtney Shealy who played volleyball and swam in college.

    Noticed that you did good morning darlings, my second-favorite after bicycles.
  7. aquageek's Avatar
    I don't assign any rational thought to what kids do, they seem to have the ability to drop time simply by drinking a Big
    Gulp before an event. My daughter swam PBs at JOs when she was in the throws of undiagnosed type 1 diabetes. I wish I could bottle the kid improvements and their seemingly random nature.

    Oh, it's 99% official. I'm dropping the booze on January 2 until Feb 1st. I have confirmed with the home office and wasn't told I was a crackhead so that means I can do it stigma free.
  8. pwolf66's Avatar
    #11) Not sure what you mean by ignoring Maglishcio. Your race is 25 seconds. 1 breath is about all you should take and really, it's not a 'needed' breath from a physiological point of view, it's a mental need.
  9. pwolf66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    True that. But typically chicks like buff guys and guys don't like buff chicks. So there a different "sacrifice" involved for us chicks. :-P
    Then those guys are idiots.
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Glad to hear that Mini Fort feel stronger. Maybe doing less yardage has helped. Personally, I think kids between 14 and 18 are way overtrained. The mega-yardage thing and tapering for only two or three meets a year is outweighed by constant, gradual improvement. These kids need constant reinforcement to keep on going. The positive effect on the pysche often beats out the amount of yardage put in. The time to hit swimmers with mega-yardage is in college when they can take naps between practices.

    I predict that Mini-Fort will go on to swim in college and do quite well. Meanwhile, I predict 50% of her swimming-only friends that train 9 to 10 times a week year-round will not swim in college or will quit after the first year. Maybe Mini Fort will be like Olympian Courtney Shealy who played volleyball and swam in college.

    Noticed that you did good morning darlings, my second-favorite after bicycles.
    Mini Fort has never been overtrained. She's never really trained more than 5x a week as a regular matter. Last year, she took 3 months off from breaks and knee/elbow issues.

    I think she could improve with strengthening and technique improvements. And kicking -- I have no idea how she's even been competitive without kicking much for 2 years. That does explain why her SDKs stink though! lol
  11. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    I don't know, but it's pretty clear that swimming loads of yardage is not the only way to get faster.
    It's too bad more swim coaches don't agree with that. I still feel like yardage is a huge portion of what they do, although I admit there seems to be some focus on more race pace sets. But I know my kid's coach feels like she missed all her "conditioning" and "base building" during her foray into volleyball.
  12. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I don't assign any rational thought to what kids do, they seem to have the ability to drop time simply by drinking a Big
    Gulp before an event. My daughter swam PBs at JOs when she was in the throws of undiagnosed type 1 diabetes. I wish I could bottle the kid improvements and their seemingly random nature.

    Oh, it's 99% official. I'm dropping the booze on January 2 until Feb 1st. I have confirmed with the home office and wasn't told I was a crackhead so that means I can do it stigma free.

    Jan 2? I was hoping for a simultaneous abstention. I was thinking Nov. 1 for me.

    Well, last year I think a ton of improvements were suit related with the emergence of LZR/B70 technology. I've already heard reports of kids moaning about how much slower their times are.

    Now, at your kids' ages, improvements can come randomly. Very true. Improvements are harder as you get older too as there tend to be plateaus and such.
  13. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    #11) Not sure what you mean by ignoring Maglishcio. Your race is 25 seconds. 1 breath is about all you should take and really, it's not a 'needed' breath from a physiological point of view, it's a mental need.
    I think Maglischio suggests taking 2 breaths -- one before the flags on the first 25 and one halfway back on the second 25. This is what I've traditionally done. But I am an inefficient breather, so thought I would/should cut back to 1 breath.
  14. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Then those guys are idiots.
    I'll try to think of them that way too! I don't mind being buff; I just wish it was a little more lean buff.

    And I still need to have my convo with The Guru who might be able to give me some insight into this.
  15. aquageek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    ...I predict 50% of her swimming-only friends that train 9 to 10 times a week year-round will not swim in college or will quit after the first year.
    I very much agree with this. There are programs here in NC that have incredible young age groupers but fade terribly by the time you get kids over 13. The programs really stick it to the young kids and the results are impressive. But, when your program falls apart at the mid teens, you obviously have a philosophy that isn't working.

    A successful program keeps kids in the water through high school and has the mid to upper teens dominate at the state level.

    These are simply my opinions from being in a very successful program. I fully recognize other successful programs have different, yet equally effective, models.
  16. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    True that. But typically chicks like buff guys and guys don't like buff chicks. So there a different "sacrifice" involved for us chicks and no "sacrifice" involved for you. :-P
    I'm not going to go cry about it or anything, and also I'm not really that big, but people make negative assumptions about muscular guys. Like: stupid, vain, aggressive. And I'm not stupid at all!
  17. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I very much agree with this. There are programs here in NC that have incredible young age groupers but fade terribly by the time you get kids over 13. The programs really stick it to the young kids and the results are impressive. But, when your program falls apart at the mid teens, you obviously have a philosophy that isn't working.

    A successful program keeps kids in the water through high school and has the mid to upper teens dominate at the state level.

    These are simply my opinions from being in a very successful program. I fully recognize other successful programs have different, yet equally effective, models.
    WORD. I think our kids program here in Scottsdale is on the right track. Our head coach is a couple of years into the role and he seems to be setting expectations that kids can build from (e.g., 8th graders do 1 AM workout a week during the school year). I think that theory of "progression" of training within a season applies to an age grouper to HS career as well -- too much too soon often leads to burnout, early peaks, etc.

    As for me, I'm hoping that my peak is still to come!
  18. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    I'm not going to go cry about it or anything, and also I'm not really that big, but people make negative assumptions about muscular guys. Like: stupid, vain, aggressive. And I'm not stupid at all!
    Maybe people make negative assumptions about pure body builders who appear to be on steroids, but not people who lift like you and have some muscle.
  19. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    WORD. I think our kids program here in Scottsdale is on the right track. Our head coach is a couple of years into the role and he seems to be setting expectations that kids can build from (e.g., 8th graders do 1 AM workout a week during the school year). I think that theory of "progression" of training within a season applies to an age grouper to HS career as well -- too much too soon often leads to burnout, early peaks, etc.

    As for me, I'm hoping that my peak is still to come!
    Sometimes kids have early success just b/c they're natural swimmers or natural athletes.

    Even with a good program, I think teenage girls can run into problems with plateaus, injury issues from loose tendons or tendons that haven't caught up with muscle growth, or weird teenage lack of self esteem. I hear even the best teenage girls walking around saying they "suck." Swimming is a tough sport mentally. Cranking up the yardage too early does seem to just make everyone cranky.

    Perhaps Beth is right that it helps to have something else to focus on besides swimming!
  20. elise526's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Mini Fort has never been overtrained. She's never really trained more than 5x a week as a regular matter. Last year, she took 3 months off from breaks and knee/elbow issues.

    I think she could improve with strengthening and technique improvements. And kicking -- I have no idea how she's even been competitive without kicking much for 2 years. That does explain why her SDKs stink though! lol
    Maybe the things she is doing in volleyball have helped.

    Do you think she would have had knee/elbow problems if she had not been overtrained? I don't know enough about her injuries to know it they were overtraining-related or growth pains aggravated by overtraining. If she had not been doing any swimming, would she have still had problems?

    So many USA teams seem to have mandatory 9 to 11 practices a week for high school kids, I figured she had been in a program like that. Glad to hear she wasn't.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast