Wednesday, Oct. 21

Rate this Entry
Drylands Lite:

long arm crunches, 1 x 50
good morning darlings, 1 x 50
straight leg lift + hip lift on bench, 2 x 15
broomstick twists, 1 x 25

med ball start plyo, 1 x 10
(For Patrick -- use 2 6 lb med balls. place fingers under ball in front. bend knees and get into position as if doing a start. then explosively push back with arms and hands and throw balls against back wall as hard and fast as possible. we have a 15 foot room adjacent to the weight room. I stood a couple feet or more in front of it. The balls flew in the air and bounced right before the wall.)

HS hi row, 90 x 3 x 10 fast
bench press, 60 x 3 x 10 fast
alternating hammers, 15 x 2 x 20 fast

external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15 each arm

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Swam in my hot shallow gym pool. Thankfully, it wasn't quite as hot as usual b/c it had just been filled.

Warm up:

750 variety

Speed Work:

4 x (4 x 25)
#1 = easy speed fly
#2 = EZ
#3 = AFAP (2 free, 2 evil)
#4 = EZ

50 EZ

2 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 150 EZ)
#1 = backstroke (mid 27ish)
#2 = evil (33ish)
(had never done a timed evil with fins before. but if it's good enough for Allen Stark, it's good enough for me.

4 x 25 SDK shooter on back, cruised them

1 x 100 front scull

50 EZ

Total: 1850 meters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rambling Thoughts:

Like Geek, I had a lot of thoughts rambling through my head today whilst swimming:

1. How long can a person who likes aerobic work stay on the CDVB plan without going crazy?

2. Should I stick to my weights/plyo+sprint+hot yoga plan through NE Champs? Or wimp out and go back to my tried and true weights+heavy on the sprint swimming + cardio?

3. It may have been really dunce like to adopt this plan in the fall when the running weather is at it's best. It was gorgeous here today, and I was inside.

4. Plyo anecdote: Mini Fort (who has only been swimming 1-2 x week max) says her legs feel stronger, she's actually been kicking and her practice times aren't too bad. (She didn't kick much for the last 2 years b/c of bad knees/tendonitis.) She attributes this to volleyball. I was thinking about this and, as an outside hitter, she does a fair amount of jumping, which = plyo. She also mentioned that one of her friends dropped her 100 evil time from 1:10 to 1:05 last year while playing club volleyball 2x a week instead of doing excessive swimming. Food for thought.

5. Mini Fort was checking out my biceps last night and said I was more "jacked" than some boys on the freshman football team. So, good news, this means I can now beat up high school kids. Awhile ago, I asked on my blog how much/often I could lift without becoming too buff. Jazz said "find out." I may have reached my limit, it seems.

6. I'm pondering whether to swim the 50 back at the Nov. Open the weekend of Nov. 7-8. The meet is in the afternoon and features 50s for all us 13 & Over folks.

7. Still pondering the 30 day abstinence period for alcohol. If Geek does it, I'll be shamed into doing it. But I think he's still pondering too.

8. I need to look at last year's results from the NE SCM meet to figure out my seed times. I usually do this in an effort to stay out of lanes 1 & 8, and this often backfires. I seem to end up in those lanes in champ meets where women swim separately b/c the speedy 25 year olds grab the middle lanes. But I will nonetheless undertake what is apparently a largely futile effort. Or, I can pull a Stud and just seed myself faster than my actual times. :-P

9. I stepped on the scale today for the first time since my checkup in July. (No scale in the house.) I've gained couple pounds. Don't know whether this is due to the sleep med combo I'm on (both known to have weight gain as a side effect) or to being stronger/more muscle. Or it could just be random variation -- e.g., weighing in the am vs. pm. I may have to go on a diet like Bobinator. Of course, cutting alcohol would probably do the trick. But, despite this, I have made progress in the ass department, and I think Q could bounce a quarter off it.

10. No #10. I feel no need to have a round number of thoughts.

11. Forgot one. I am thinking of ignoring Maglischio and only taking 1 breath in the 50 free on Sunday. I guess the best place would be after the flags off the turn?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thrive Longer, Lift Weights:

Here's an article from the Washington Post that supports the fact that weight lifting is an affirmatively good thing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...01.html?sub=AR

I should have focused more on this issue while writing my little point-counterpoint with Jimby!

Submit "Wednesday, Oct. 21" to Digg Submit "Wednesday, Oct. 21" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday, Oct. 21" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday, Oct. 21" to Google

Updated October 21st, 2009 at 06:22 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "I have made progress in the ass department."

Show, don't tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Maybe the things she is doing in volleyball have helped.

Do you think she would have had knee/elbow problems if she had not been overtrained? I don't know enough about her injuries to know it they were overtraining-related or growth pains aggravated by overtraining. If she had not been doing any swimming, would she have still had problems?

So many USA teams seem to have mandatory 9 to 11 practices a week for high school kids, I figured she had been in a program like that. Glad to hear she wasn't.
    Mini just started high school this year. She's swum in the senior group for awhile, but never more than 5-6 x per week. This season, she's swimming (once volleyball is over) M-F from 3:15-6 with drylands+. That seems like plenty to me; it's more swimming per session than she did last year. I have banned 4:40 am practices b/c I just cannot stand them!

Her ortho says she would have had knee problems no matter what sport she did. She's has lateral patella tendonitis. She's had x-rays, MRIs, every kind of treatment. The problem is her tendons are too short as compared to her muscles. They think she will grow out of it eventually. She's been told she can swim without creating any cartilege or tendon damage -- it's just painful. She's been told strengthening her hamstrings and hips and glutes would help take the load off her tendons. Perhaps volleyball has helped with that. Or maybe she's started to grow out of it. I hope so! It's awful to see your kid in pain and have that mar their enjoyment of swimming.
    Updated October 21st, 2009 at 09:34 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    "I have made progress in the ass department."

Show, don't tell.
    If you were lesion-free and coming to the Sprint Classic, you could bounce a quarter off my ass. Your loss! lol

Have you named the lesion yet? (And it better NOT be after me!)
    It is good to hear that there are programs out there that don't require the kids to be in the water so much of the time. My friend is a pediatrician who has kids around Mini's age. She herself was a distance swimmer and was on the Puerto Rican National team. A couple of years ago, when her oldest was about Mini's age, she moved her kids from a program that had the kids going 7,000 to 8,000 yards in a practice. She moved them to a team coached by a gal that believes in quality swimming, 1.5 hours a day, 6 days a week, and no mornings. Needless to say, last I talked to her, her daughter and son have very much improved and are swimming impressive times. Two years ago, my friend didn't think her daughter would be the type to swim in college because she just wasn't improving much. Now she has changed her mind and daughter is very fired up.

I'm with you on the AM practices. When my son gets that age, I won't be doing it either! Seems like instead of the AM practices during the week, the Saturday or Sunday morning practices should take care of things. Still can't believe I used to have to swim 10,000 yards before church on Sundays. I was in the bell choir at church and a couple of times after the long swim practice, I clanged my bells together accidently because I was so tired! Fortunately, the blue-hairs would just wink at me.
    It is good to hear that there are programs out there that don't require the kids to be in the water so much of the time. My friend is a pediatrician who has kids around Mini's age. She herself was a distance swimmer and was on the Puerto Rican National team. A couple of years ago, when her oldest was about Mini's age, she moved her kids from a program that had the kids going 7,000 to 8,000 yards in a practice. She moved them to a team coached by a gal that believes in quality swimming, 1.5 hours a day, 6 days a week, and no mornings. Needless to say, last I talked to her, her daughter and son have very much improved and are swimming impressive times. Two years ago, my friend didn't think her daughter would be the type to swim in college because she just wasn't improving much. Now she has changed her mind and daughter is very fired up.

I'm with you on the AM practices. When my son gets that age, I won't be doing it either! Seems like instead of the AM practices during the week, the Saturday or Sunday morning practices should take care of things. Still can't believe I used to have to swim 10,000 yards before church on Sundays. I was in the bell choir at church and a couple of times after the long swim practice, I clanged my bells together accidently because I was so tired! Fortunately, the blue-hairs would just wink at me.
    That's a great story about your friend's kid!

I hope you can find a coach/team with the right attitude for your boy!

I am laughing at the image of you standing in church clanging your bells. lol. I absolutely hated am practices even as a kid too. I never felt like I swam well during them; it just felt like worthless LSD. Of course, I did taper really well back then. But that was really more an alleviation of acute broken-down-ness than anything else! By college, I couldn't even get out of bed for am practice on the weekend. The captains would come to my room and bang on my door. Even then, I didn't want to get out of bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    That's a great story about your friend's kid!

I hope you can find a coach/team with the right attitude for your boy!

I am laughing at the image of you standing in church clanging your bells. lol. I absolutely hated am practices even as a kid too. I never felt like I swam well during them; it just felt like worthless LSD. Of course, I did taper really well back then. But that was really more an alleviation of acute broken-down-ness than anything else! By college, I couldn't even get out of bed for am practice on the weekend. The captains would come to my room and bang on my door. Even then, I didn't want to get out of bed.
    Haha. Love the story about am weekend practice in college!
    Bet your roommate wasn't wild about that banging on the door!
    Haha. Love the story about am weekend practice in college!
    Bet your roommate wasn't wild about that banging on the door!
    I had a single room my freshman year. Astonishing, I know. Unfortunately, though, I was in the same dorm as my captains. I had a bad attitude my freshman year. lol. I argued with my coach over workouts all the time. She was a freestyle & distance freak, and I was a burned out stroker. Perhaps I'll blame her for my current love-hate relationship with freestyle!
    11. Forgot one. I am thinking of ignoring Maglischio and only taking 1 breath in the 50 free on Sunday. I guess the best place would be after the flags off the turn?
    I've experimented with this a bit. I've never been able to do a 50 free in a meet without a breath and respectfully disagree it's a mental thing to go hypoxic (I've gone 3 lengths underwater in a 25m pool twice so I certainly have decent lungs). What works best for me is a breath shortly before the turn and then no breath on the second length. At least for me if I wait too long to take the first breath and take it after the turn, then I need 2 on the second length. I've done the same strategy for a 50 in a 25m pool but it obviously hurts more (~3 more seconds).
    I agree with jroddin! Your body uses mega more O2 in the act of sprinting than when you are just holding your breath and standing there. I am the worlds worst hypoxic swimmer (I really don't even try) but I can stand and hold my breath for a long time. Standing uses little O2.
    Good luck banning AM practices. Most high school coaches require them. On our team missing practices equals no meets. And high school kids are the age group that needs sleep more than anyone else out there. There brains are morphing on a minute-to-minute basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin
    I've experimented with this a bit. I've never been able to do a 50 free in a meet without a breath and respectfully disagree it's a mental thing to go hypoxic (I've gone 3 lengths underwater in a 25m pool twice so I certainly have decent lungs). What works best for me is a breath shortly before the turn and then no breath on the second length. At least for me if I wait too long to take the first breath and take it after the turn, then I need 2 on the second length. I've done the same strategy for a 50 in a 25m pool but it obviously hurts more (~3 more seconds).
    Thanks for the input, Jeff! It makes sense to me to take a breath before the turn and then just bury your head and plow home. Otherwise, you could compromise your turn.

Personally, it's easier for me to swim underwater without a breath than do fast freestyle without a breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I agree with jroddin! Your body uses mega more O2 in the act of sprinting than when you are just holding your breath and standing there. I am the worlds worst hypoxic swimmer (I really don't even try) but I can stand and hold my breath for a long time. Standing uses little O2.
    Good luck banning AM practices. Most high school coaches require them. On our team missing practices equals no meets. And high school kids are the age group that needs sleep more than anyone else out there. There brains are morphing on a minute-to-minute basis.
    Our high school team only requires kids to attend one practice during the week if they swim on a USA-S team. I think it's typically one hour on Friday. None of our high schools have pools here, and it's very hard for them to get much pool time. So no am practices for me this year! However, the USA-S meets start frightfully early, so I'll suffer sleep deprivation there.
    4. Plyo anecdote: Mini Fort (who has only been swimming 1-2 x week max) says her legs feel stronger, she's actually been kicking and her practice times aren't too bad. (She didn't kick much for the last 2 years b/c of bad knees/tendonitis.) She attributes this to volleyball.
    Don't underestimate the power of human growth hormone.

I have made progress in the ass department, and I think Q could bounce a quarter off it.
    I just read this but I heard about this last night. "Fort thinks you can bounce a quarter off her ass. When you meet her, feel free to, but I bet you get hit because it ****ing hurts."

Forgot one. I am thinking of ignoring Maglischio and only taking 1 breath in the 50 free on Sunday. I guess the best place would be after the flags off the turn?
    Maglischo doesn't recommend a specific number of breaths, he recommends where to breath depending on how many breathes you need. IIRC 1 breath was ~7 yards before the turn because that is where you will loose the least amount of speed.

After the flags off the turn would be a poor choice, because you are going to sacrifice some of the speed that you have off the wall.

start like qbrain did and abstain during the week
    I also started because it was doctors orders, not because I wanted too. Valid too, because I personally have experienced the effects of Pinot Noir as a blood thinner.

I didn't lose weight when I stopped drinking wine, but I also stopped working out...

But typically chicks like buff guys and guys don't like buff chicks.
    There is a difference between your buff and an East German swimmer circa 1980 buff. Just don't go down the Madonna/anorexia route either.

I think Maglischio suggests taking 2 breaths -- one before the flags on the first 25 and one halfway back on the second 25. This is what I've traditionally done. But I am an inefficient breather, so thought I would/should cut back to 1 breath.
    That is WHERE he suggests you take them not his definitive suggestion.
    Your wife sounds way cool!

Madonna is skinny fugly. I like looking like an athlete. I'd probably rather look like a triathlete than a swimmer though. lol

Jazz thinks I should stick with 2-3 on the 50, but he underestimates how inefficient my sprint free breathing is. Of course, then there is the theory of your first breath being your best. I guess I'll try right before the flags and see if I can hold on.
    My wife has her moments.

Do what you are comfortable with on the 50. You should be able to do your race breathing pattern on the AFAPs, so you can play with differences. Shouldn't even be something you think about during your race, it should just happen.

I am not sold on breathing earlier is better, but if you are Jazz shows improvement with 2-1, then it has grounds.

If your breathing is really that bad during a sprint, I know what you should work on
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    My wife has her moments.

Do what you are comfortable with on the 50. You should be able to do your race breathing pattern on the AFAPs, so you can play with differences. Shouldn't even be something you think about during your race, it should just happen.

I am not sold on breathing earlier is better, but if you are Jazz shows improvement with 2-1, then it has grounds.

If your breathing is really that bad during a sprint, I know what you should work on
    I put Jazz's comments on my blog from today.

I just think I could be quicker about breathing. But that would require doing more 50 frees in practice, which I'm not excessively fond of. Usually, when swimming free, I breathe every stroke. I'm lazy that way.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12