Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
200 kick
250 fly drills

6 x 25 SDK shooters on back

50 EZ

Speed work:

1 x 50 AFAP SDK on back w/fins (went 27ish)

150 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP evil + 75 EZ)

no warm down, sat in hottub instead.

Total: 1550 meters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Unfortunately, I fell asleep on the couch last night. Woke up at 3:45 am with a creaky neck and sore left trap. Had trouble sleeping afterward b/c of the neck pain. I do this neck wrenching thing periodically ... Can't turn my neck much at the moment and my chiro is booked. I hope the pain & wrenching subside by Sunday. Any tips?

Because of the lack of sleep and neck pain, the swim didn't feel so great. My legs still feel tired. One day, as part of turning myself into a research lab, I'm going to do the Mike Heather taper and just stay in bed for a week. Of course, this may occur after my children are grown. lol

Sprint Classic:

The psych sheets are up:

http://www.patriotmasters.org/2009_s...sych_sheet.htm

Really looking forward to the meet, which is always fast and fun. My former secret nemesis is swimming, but with some very slow seed times for her. I also detect some other sandbagging. I'm seeded first in the 50 fly/back/free. Because Petra Martin wants a day off from the pool from coaching, I have a chance to defend my Drop Dead Sprinter title from the last 2 years. But I appear to have some worthy adversaries, including my coach, some young Reston chicks, Lisa Rapuano, etc. My lazy coach, claiming lack of fitness, is only swimming the 25s. I scolded her for this.

I'm looking forward to the 50 back! All my best lady buddies are in my heat -- Julie-Mulie, Mollie-Jolie, Barb and Alison. Jules is very worried about swimming with us, but I tried to remind her that she did excellently at Savagman with no swim training!

As Speedo mentioned, there will definitely be some very exciting men's events, especially the 50 free, 50 back and 100 IM. It will be fun to watch Speedo and Clay race in the 200 free as well. Since Jimby is plagued with his lesion named Pincha, he is not competing. But in his place, he has sent Mark Cox from the Sewickley Masters. And he is rather speedy -- he may give Neill a race in the 50 evil!

Assuming my neck is ready, the rest of me is ready for my evilstroke gridges with Stud and Hulk.

Hopefully, we can all grab lunch after at our usual RH&B or somewhere else.

Today's Ramble:

1. Is it possible to get over an instinctive hatred of an event? I can't stand the 100 free ...

2. Is it possible that I have what Jimby refers to as "monofin arthritis"? My big toe knuckle has had chronic tendonitis since dropping the monofin on it and I'm worried it's morphed to arthritis. I notice it especially after running. I think I need new running shoe inserts ...

3. Will Geek respond to my counter-offer with another preposterous negotiating ploy?

4. I feel less flexible this week without yoga.

5. Here are Jazzy's thoughts on 50 free breathing:

"If you're going 24-25ish, two breaths sounds about right, and three might even be better. That's about how long it takes me to do 50m, and I wouldn't try that on a single breath. But, everybody is different. I think you want to be feeling fresh at the end of a 50. Extreme fatigue probably means you didn't breathe enough. Or you are way out of shape. With that guideline, you can figure it out with trial and error. But honestly it seems more of a 2 vs. 3 thing for you than 1 vs. 2.

I'm still undecided on breathing early versus late. Q tipped me off that C02 buildup may be the main problem, in which case late is better. Another advantage to late is that your first breath is always going to last longest. But, I still think there might be something to breathing early to prevent fatigue late. If pressed, I would say a single breath goes midway through the last 25."

6. I have perused the NE Champs results from last year. I don't think I will have to "game" much to avoid an outside lane in most events. (Patrick will be happy.) But I have no idea what time to enter for the 50 evil. I've only swum it once 2 years ago. I see I still have NE records in the 50/100 back from 2 years ago. Hopefully, I'll go faster this year! I seem to recall that I swam that 100 back on about 10 minutes rest. I almost scratched it, but Stud urged me to swim and I thanked him for it.

Submit "Thursday, Oct. 22" to Digg Submit "Thursday, Oct. 22" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, Oct. 22" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, Oct. 22" to Google

Updated October 22nd, 2009 at 07:57 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Good luck at your meet this weekend.
    I'm excited for you to see how your new training regimen has prepared you to swim fast!
    Keep us posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhenderson
    Good luck at your meet this weekend.
    I'm excited for you to see how your new training regimen has prepared you to swim fast!
    Keep us posted.
    Thx! It might be a bit too soon to tell if the regimen is working or not ... I've only been at it 4 weeks or so. But, Dec. should be sufficient time to judge, I would think. Though I'm a little worried I may be hitting some age-related speed ceilings. (Ahelee would scold me for this, but trying to be realistic. I've had a pretty good year in 2009.)
    Good luck. You will be at your sprint meet and I get to do all my distance events(the 200 fly gets the weekend due to my Fall Ball performance) this weekend in good ole York, PA. Gosh, it looks like they will have a big turnout this weekend.
    looks like you're ready
    hope your neck feels better
    I'm contemplating my counter-offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Good luck. You will be at your sprint meet and I get to do all my distance events(the 200 fly gets the weekend due to my Fall Ball performance) this weekend in good ole York, PA. Gosh, it looks like they will have a big turnout this weekend.
    Go distance geek, go!
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    looks like you're ready
    hope your neck feels better
    Who knows?

Despite my 5 day mini taper, I still feel somewhat tired. Despite the low yardage, I think the high intensity swim-weight-plyo combo tired out the body. Especially an ancient one like mine.

I hope the neck loosens up too. I should probably ice it, but I hate icing my neck.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I'm contemplating my counter-offer.
    If you're still contemplating, that likely means I'll reject it. It only took me a nanosecond to make my counter-offer. I guess it gave you pause, eh?
    Leslie, be nice to our teammate Mark, who might actually surprise a few of you Columbian District hotshots.

Neck advice, handed down to me from my twin brother, who got whiplash once from violent sneezing:

wet heat
    3 ibuprofen every four hours
    avoid provocative actions (i.e, making it hurt)
    sleep with small pillow
    possible Flexeril (muscle relaxant) if you can get it -- but don't, I beg you, Karen Anne Quinlan yourself in the process.

Leslie: Hmm...a fourth glass of chard? I only took the one Ambien...my neck's tightening up. Oh, oh! That's right! I need to take those Flexerils and my snifter of Nyquil.

Where am I?

Oh, that's right. I am taking this bottle of Flexeril and I need something healthy to wash it down with.

Chard has antioxidants and flavenoids. Just one more goblet.

Damn! Scott took the last goblet! Well, to hell with him! I will just use his Yard of Beer Stein.

Wait, have I taken my Ambien yet?

This is working!

I can't feel my neck at all. But the monofin arthritis [actually, this was NEVER a diagnosis or phrase from me!] is acting up.

Maybe some port wine? That's supposed to do something for sore toes. Why can't I remember what?
    I diagnose ambien amnesia, or nice mimicking of said condition. Already begun researching your next article, I see!

Never thought to try wet heat. Good advice! I am not in possession of flexeril, unfortunately.

If I actually had 4 goblets of chard, it might be hard to get up and get my kid off to school in the morning. But I wouldn't have to fight Mr. Fort for them, as he is a tee totaler.

Happy nyquil!
    Good luck in your meet Fort! I think "shaking up" your training a bit can be very beneficial. Could it possibly wake-up muscles that have become bored from regular training?
    Try some Traumeel on your neck. I put that stuff on anything that hurts and it seems to help. I think "cricks" usually just need to work themselves out naturally. (and they usually do)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Good luck in your meet Fort! I think "shaking up" your training a bit can be very beneficial. Could it possibly wake-up muscles that have become bored from regular training?
    Try some Traumeel on your neck. I put that stuff on anything that hurts and it seems to help. I think "cricks" usually just need to work themselves out naturally. (and they usually do)
    Thx, Bob! My neck feels somewhat better this am after ice and wet heat last night. But I'm out of Traumeel. May have to get more at Whole Foods today.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I may be hitting some age-related speed ceilings.
    Oi... I had to quote this out since I sure couldn't write it myself!

I'm a little late in reading this, so hopefully the entire gang won't think I'm a comedy show here with my post.

I just read a little piece that has some "age" advice given by my teacher many years ago. I like it!

""Age is in the mind; age is not in the body. When we think that we are old, that is the end, the very end, of our journey. Every day at every moment only think that you are a seven year old or a nine year old or ten year old, but do not think that you are over thirty.
    Do not make it into thirty-one and absolutely not into forty-one! If you cannot make yourself into a seven year old child, then at the maximum think of thirteenů

There are some men and women, especially some women, who have surrendered to age.

I am telling you that you have to surrender to your heart, not to the mind. If you surrender to your heart, you can make progress every day. If you surrender to your mind, your progress will come to a complete haltů

While you are doing anything, make the movement faster. Bring back your childlike days when you used to run and play with utmost joy."

Fort - have some fun on Sunday... and "make the movement FASTER!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn
    Oi... I had to quote this out since I sure couldn't write it myself!

I'm a little late in reading this, so hopefully the entire gang won't think I'm a comedy show here with my post.

I just read a little piece that has some "age" advice given by my teacher many years ago. I like it!

""Age is in the mind; age is not in the body. When we think that we are old, that is the end, the very end, of our journey. Every day at every moment only think that you are a seven year old or a nine year old or ten year old, but do not think that you are over thirty.
    Do not make it into thirty-one and absolutely not into forty-one! If you cannot make yourself into a seven year old child, then at the maximum think of thirteen…

There are some men and women, especially some women, who have surrendered to age.

I am telling you that you have to surrender to your heart, not to the mind. If you surrender to your heart, you can make progress every day. If you surrender to your mind, your progress will come to a complete halt…

While you are doing anything, make the movement faster. Bring back your childlike days when you used to run and play with utmost joy."

Fort - have some fun on Sunday... and "make the movement FASTER!"

lol, It's good advice! I will do my best to be childlike on Sunday and not think!

As a sometimes cynical realist, I do think there's some element of truth to Rich Abraham's quote that we should aspire to "slow down as slowly as possible." I'm not really ready to slow down yet. And I still have all my enthusiasm, so we shall see! Definitely no "surrender!"

But 13 sucks. I'm going for 10!
    Updated October 23rd, 2009 at 09:55 PM by The Fortress