View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

I was beat by a warm up swimmer

Rate this Entry
I have the official results from the meet and there was no one in my heat that went a 1:54, but there was someone who did a 150 in 1:54. I was racing, probably several people, who were in the warm up lane. I am changing my name to qdumbass.

http://www.ntswim.org/meetresults/20...nt_results.htm

More interesting:

I have worked out 5 times in 3 days and will probably hit 12 workouts for the week. 5 swimming, 3 weights, 4 conditioning.

KPN is giving a clinic this weekend. Hopefully she can teach me how to swim. I am counting this as a workout, it is at least 75 minutes of water time.

I booked my Asia flights yesterday. $121 for two people in business/first for 18,506 miles. I love airline miles.

I still think that my 200 was a lack of conditioning issue. Obviously I am working on that a little harder now.

In the up coming A meets, I will swim the 50 and the 100 for racing practice. That will give me 2 meets in Nov and 3 in Dec, instead of 1 and 2. Dec is my next shot at a 200 A time.

Jeff Comings is sending me a tempo trainer. I assume this has something to do with his Swimming World responsibilities, but it was awesome to see that HE was the one on the from address in the email. Even that brush probably won't make me a better breaststroker, but I am ok with that.

My next 200 free is at the DAM SCM meet. The A cut is 2:12 SCM, so my goal is to go faster than that at Lifetime before the meet.

My coach told me I am flat on my left side, but my rotation is good on my right side (breathing side). My left shoulder bothers me... He pointed this out at the end of a timed mile, (20:43), so I think this gets worse as I get tired, but is something I need to work on. He said to look for it in the videotaping this weekend, or even better, fix it before then.

Submit "I was beat by a warm up swimmer" to Digg Submit "I was beat by a warm up swimmer" to del.icio.us Submit "I was beat by a warm up swimmer" to StumbleUpon Submit "I was beat by a warm up swimmer" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. tjrpatt's Avatar
    Nice job on the 1st place finish at an age group meet. I still haven't done that since I started doing age group meets. I think that I got 3rd place at one USA-S.

    I did a stroke clinic with KPN years ago and I was impressed. Plus, if she sees that you have more skills with the rest of the clinic members, she might give you extra attention. Luckily, I went years ago before she jacked the prices up. Stroke Clinic is a recovery swim.
  2. EricOrca's Avatar
    Superb performance, however I think its more awe inspiring that you were able to navigate through the myriad of young ones to get to your heat.
  3. The Fortress's Avatar
    What do you mean by a "conditioning" workout? 12 workouts in one week is a lot -- that would have me beat!

    My left shoulder is the offending one as well. I switched from breathing on my right side during freestyle to my left side and this helped quite a bit. Plus, I had a tendency to drop my left elbow when breathing to the right, which likely strained the shoulder more.

    Have fun with KPN! She's definitely a freestyle expert.
  4. qbrain's Avatar
    Tom, wait until I am at an A meet and we will see how I place. I am looking forward to the KPN clinic. I think the price is reasonable considering that she is only in Dallas for 12 swimmers. Travel has to be a large chunk of her expenses.

    Thanks Eric. I wasn't really posting to brag about my placement, just wanted to share my official times and splits. If you go back to "I totally DOMINATED..." about 3 posts ago, you can see my biggest problem was nerves. There was a navigation problem too. There is a picture of the meet pool in the comments of the 100 free post. Behind the blocks was a real traffic problem.
  5. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    What do you mean by a "conditioning" workout? 12 workouts in one week is a lot -- that would have me beat!

    My left shoulder is the offending one as well. I switched from breathing on my right side during freestyle to my left side and this helped quite a bit. Plus, I had a tendency to drop my left elbow when breathing to the right, which likely strained the shoulder more.

    Have fun with KPN! She's definitely a freestyle expert.
    Remember that light lifting program I posted a few weeks ago? That is my "conditioning" workout. Takes about 15 minutes, so 12 workouts might only be 8 hours of time.

    I used to bilateral breath to fix to help with my shoulder problem, but then I read I just needed to fix my stroke Still need to fix my stroke.

    Very excited about KPN.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain

    I used to bilateral breath to fix to help with my shoulder problem, but then I read I just needed to fix my stroke Still need to fix my stroke.

    Very excited about KPN.
    She's on FB. You can friend her and see her body shots album. :-P She's very lean.
  7. Bobinator's Avatar
    Great meet Q!
    I'd love to go to a KPN clinic! I need my freestyle fixed too. Is the clinic in Texas?
    I started forcing myself to bi-lateral breath. Every now and then my stroke feels great but then before you know it I fade back to my old bad tricks and it gets hard again.
    Good luck!
    Where are you going in Asia?
  8. jim thornton's Avatar
    27.38 57.11 1:28.24 2:01.56

    Q: I think your 200 was a pacing error.

    27.38
    29.73 (57.11)
    31.13
    33.32 (1:04.42)

    a 7.32 second difference between 100s--you went out WAY too fast for
    the shape you seem to be currently in.

    I would suggest going much smoother in the first half, concentrating on easy speed--
    as fast as you can go without getting tired hardly at all.

    Then build the third 50 (but not to the point of getting lactated)
    then sprint the last 50.

    If you get another chance, try a different strategy and see if it works better.
  9. aztimm's Avatar
    Sure sounds like a great meet to me, PB's, what more can you ask for?

    What's up with them seeding themselves so much slower than actual times? I could understand a couple second difference, but 25 sec?
  10. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    She's on FB. You can friend her and see her body shots album. :-P She's very lean.
    Can I tell her that Leslie said I should friend her and review her body shots album to get excited about the clinic?

    I have seen pics of her, and she is very lean. She is going to cover nutrition in part of the clinic. Do you want me to take notes?
  11. Speedo's Avatar
    Have you taken any video of your swims, Q?
  12. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Great meet Q!
    I'd love to go to a KPN clinic! I need my freestyle fixed too. Is the clinic in Texas?
    I started forcing myself to bi-lateral breath. Every now and then my stroke feels great but then before you know it I fade back to my old bad tricks and it gets hard again.
    Good luck!
    Where are you going in Asia?
    The clinic is in Texas and it is about 20 minutes from my house. Pure luck that I checked her schedule, saw she was going to be here in a couple weeks and found out that there was space and I didn't have anything else planned. Wife has to work, so she is not thrilled I get to go and she doesn't.

    Her schedule is online, but IN isn't on the list. If you think 12-18 people from Nasti/IndyFit would be interested, she is open April 2010 and she might be able to do something sooner. Send her an email.

    http://www.aquaticedge.org/

    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Q: I think your 200 was a pacing error.
    Yep, I thought I was in better shape than I was. Going a 54.0 in the 100, I should be able to go out in a 57 high and come back in a 1:00 low IF I had better conditioning. My next 200 I am trying to go out in a 58 high and back in a 1:00 high, just to break the 2:00 barrier. Should have been doable last week...

    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Sure sounds like a great meet to me, PB's, what more can you ask for?

    What's up with them seeding themselves so much slower than actual times? I could understand a couple second difference, but 25 sec?
    Better splits on my 200? If you look at my 3 swims, the 200 was by far the worst, and that was the event I was targeting. If I had swam a ****** 50 and a decent 200, I wouldn't still be bitching about it.

    It is a BB meet, so a lot of those kids are new to USA-S, so they really are dropping huge amounts of time. That 25 second drop was probably from their last SCY meet in Feb to first SCY in Oct. Training over the summer plus six months of growth, and 25 seconds is no problem. There are also a few swimmers there who were swimming off events, and you are supposed to enter with your fastest SWIMS database times, so their times might have been really old because they only swim off events at a couple meets a year.
  13. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Have you taken any video of your swims, Q?
    Short answer: no.

    My waterproof digital video camera should be here today or Monday. I don't know if we get copies of the videos KPN takes. I hope so, but I am doubtful. We didn't get copies of the video from swimfest.
  14. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Where are you going in Asia?
    Doh! Didn't answer this.

    Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong and Tokyo (for 2 hours in the airport).

    I told something about this trip this morning and got a funny look, and "So... why are you going to Asia?" No ladies and gentlemen, it is not a myth that Aggies are closed minded.

    I will eventually post more about the trip. It is the only thing I talk about right now, so I am sure it will overflow into the swimming blog more and more.
  15. aztimm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Doh! Didn't answer this.

    Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong and Tokyo (for 2 hours in the airport).

    I told something about this trip this morning and got a funny look, and "So... why are you going to Asia?" No ladies and gentlemen, it is not a myth that Aggies are closed minded.ore.
    2 hours in the airport? That doesn't count. Now if you were there for 6, took a train into town, and swam at the old Olympic pool, then maybe I'd cut you some slack.

    It isn't just Aggies who are closed minded. I've taken several trips to Europe over the past few years, and people I work with think I'm crazy. Most of them use up their vacation time with a few weeks in San Diego, when everyone else from AZ is also there. When I tell them I've been to Thailand, Korea, Japan, and Australia, they can't believe it.

    You'll have to get in some swims while you travel!!!
  16. The Fortress's Avatar
    lol

    I never travel in the US unless it's to visit relatives or go to swim meets. I've been to about 20 countries, but not Asia yet. Traveling is the bomb! I've been somewhat travel deprived the last few years with kid-life, and I hate it! Really hoping we can get away for Spring Break this year.
  17. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    You'll have to get in some swims while you travel!!!
    We have founds pools in Singapore and Hong Kong, but I plan to be really out of shape by the time I get back.
  18. pwb's Avatar
    Michael --

    The 200 splits look totally about conditioning, you're right on that, but, given the recent workouts you did, it might be that you have the conditioning but were just too tired. Sometimes I have bad splits because I don't have the conditioning to hold the pace, but sometimes, as well, I'm just too tired. Were you sufficiently rested?

    I just have to say that I wish I could swim in a DAM meet just so I could tell people I was going to a DAM swim meet with a straight face. Childish, but true.

    Travel is the bomb and you should have a blast. I still haven't spent much time in Asia -- other than business mostly in Japan and a little side trip for 36 hours to China -- and I haven't yet 'recreationally' traveled there, but I want to. Everytime my wife and I watch the Amazing Race and the teams are in Thailand, Vietnam, etc., we turn wistfully to each other and say with a dreamy look in our eyes, "we've GOT to go there."
  19. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    Michael --

    The 200 splits look totally about conditioning, you're right on that, but, given the recent workouts you did, it might be that you have the conditioning but were just too tired. Sometimes I have bad splits because I don't have the conditioning to hold the pace, but sometimes, as well, I'm just too tired. Were you sufficiently rested?

    I just have to say that I wish I could swim in a DAM meet just so I could tell people I was going to a DAM swim meet with a straight face. Childish, but true.

    Travel is the bomb and you should have a blast. I still haven't spent much time in Asia -- other than business mostly in Japan and a little side trip for 36 hours to China -- and I haven't yet 'recreationally' traveled there, but I want to. Everytime my wife and I watch the Amazing Race and the teams are in Thailand, Vietnam, etc., we turn wistfully to each other and say with a dreamy look in our eyes, "we've GOT to go there."
    Hey Patrick, I think I was over rested About 3 weeks before the meet, my swim workouts decreased from 5-6 to 3-4 and We-Tu before the meet I had a cold and was out of the water for a good week trying to get healthy enough to compete. I think I have been doing too many Fort/Jazz workouts and not enough Patrick/Chris workouts. Maybe a few half Patrick/Chris workouts, and my endurance should be way up.

    If you make the trip for a DAM meet, I strongly recommend the DAM SCM over the other DAM meets. All the other meets are at SMU, which sucked when you were at UT, and hasn't changed. I swim all the DAM meets

    I am very excited about Asia. I would go just for the food alone.