View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Splash & Dash Surprise

Rate this Entry
by , October 22nd, 2009 at 11:24 PM (669 Views)
Well for those of you who were on the edge of your seats waiting to see what my surprise today was (and someone did try to get it out of me via email), you'll find out soon. But first, today's swim workout...

Made it to swim with the team, ASU Rec Center, 6am, SCY
--around 600 warm-up choice
moved over to do freestyle stroke technique
1 x 200, no interval (I did a 250)
around 6 x 50 @ 1:10, working on holding core together
6 x 50 @ 1:10, fingertip drag
2 x 50 @ 1:10, combo of those
4 x 50 @ 1:15, 'bow' drill (hold just before entering water), down 1 arm, back the other
4 x 50 @ 1:15, bow drill, both arms together
4 x 100 @ 1:40, putting it all together
200 warm-down

wow, didn't realize it was that much. the real workout (non technique) did lots of kicking, including kicking on back while holding hands straight out of water.

So my big secret--I did the Splash & Dash tonight @ Tempe Town Lake. 1000m swim, 5k run
--air temp was around 85F, about as perfect as you can get. water was around 73F, a bit brisk at first
--after my ankle regressed earlier this week, I was about to put my Garmin forerunner up on Craig's list. thankfully I didn't. the guy I ran with over the summer told me about this race yesterday, that he was going to register, and he'd do it for me too if I wanted (save $10)...after thinking about it (mostly that if anything were to happen, there would be tons of people around to help), I told him to go ahead
--I got there around 4:30, for a 5:30 start. The guy I ran with got there almost exactly the same time. We walked over to the transition area. He asked if I wanted to run the course with him...I did. Felt odd running outside at first, and I was extremely observant (and cautious), especially when I saw some sand on the path. I did 1 lap of the course (he continued on), very very slow/smooth.

They did a great job of staging, and announcing the course ahead of time. There was another option for a 500m swim (started 3 min after the 1000), but what's the fun in that?
--SWIM: got in the water maybe 5 min early. most people did a great job of staging themselves. When we started, sure I did pass some people, but not many people passed me. I continued to pass people for about the first 2-300m (maybe I should have been closer to the front). I wore just the same suit I wore this morning, minus the drag suit. I brought a wetsuit and a jammer (have no idea where it came from), but the jammer was several sizes too big, and I really can't stand the way it ends on the legs, and had never worn the wetsuit, so didn't want to start today. The swim was a triangular course (500m), twice through. I was pretty conservative, but steady. My left calf did start to cramp, but I was able to shake it out. I think the cool water helped my ankle, especially in preparation for the run. On the 2nd lap, I think I went a bit off course, didn't see anyone for a while, then suddenly going into the ramp several people came out of nowhere.
When I finished, a guy told someone else 17 min. Not as fast as I'd hope, but not bad.

--Transition: I had everything all laid out, and really don't think I took more than 2 min, if that long. Threw on shorts (my favorite running shorts, which I hadn't worn since my injury), socks, shoes, and was off.

--RUN: I definitely was extremely conservative on this, especially the first lap. At one point, I passed a rowing group loading up their boats, and saw their coach who I know (he swims with us), and yelled Hey. Just as I was coming in for the end of lap 1, the guy I ran with came and passed me...for his lap 2 (he ended up running the race). Just after I started lap 2, I saw his girlfriend, and yelled her on. At that point I realized I should pick things up. Once I got to the final turn around, I picked things up a little more...a nice cruising speed. Then once I could see the lights at the finish, I went into a sprint.
Final finish times are posted HERE. Not as good as what I first thought, but 36:21 is still respectable, 32nd place overall (strangely #5 in my age group).

Overall, I'm happy I got out of my shell and did something. As I told a few people (some of the few I shared this with), it was either gutsy or stupid, probably both, but I needed it.

I snapped this picture just before we started.

One thing I love about races like this is that they are in the evening, after work. I live out in the 'burbs, come into town to work during the week, and really hate coming into town on weekends. And they're short and quick, I was on my way home by 6:30. I really wish swim meets would do the distance events on Fridays again, and not charge you for the whole meet if you're just swimming those events.

OH, and some more good news. At the last Splash & Dash back in May, I won a follow-up prize, $20 gift cert for the local tri shop. I was shocked when I heard them call my name today, and I got a 1-hour massage cert. The guy/gal I was with seemed a bit pissed...they do almost all these races and never get anything.

So far, planning to swim with the team in the morning (Fast Friday), then gym after work (mostly weights), but I'm reserving the right to change. And I'm really hoping to get out for a run on Sunday...I just found my Garmin, and it is charging, so I don't have that excuse anymore.

Submit "Splash & Dash Surprise" to Digg Submit "Splash & Dash Surprise" to del.icio.us Submit "Splash & Dash Surprise" to StumbleUpon Submit "Splash & Dash Surprise" to Google

Updated October 23rd, 2009 at 12:40 AM by aztimm

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments

Nice swim Tim and run!

Do you think your time would be better if you skipped the morning swim workout or was it just a "for fun" event for you?

I've read that running on a treadmill is easier because of no wind and that the belt helps push the foot back while striding. Perhaps the surface if more forgiving too. Of course, I can't stand treadmills unless I'm playing with the speed and incline every couple of minutes. Where else can you get a 15 degree incline at 5mph.

Some fast women in that race--especially the 47-year old 4th place overall finisher.
    someone did try to get it out of me via email
    People pester you via email? The gall!

Very cool, glad your ankle came out ok.

A 17 minute 1k swim is pretty impressive.
    Thanks for the replies.

As to the morning swim, I don't think it mattered too much, but I guess it could have had some impact. I certainly didn't kill myself during it, but it was definitely more than 'just for fun'

Mostly I think I held back too much. I really have a tough time dealing with this; during my marathon I did the opposite, and died at the end. Getting over an injury, my goal was to just finish, hopefully not in last place, and without having to walk.

As to the ankle...it was more sore this morning than yesterday, but nothing like Monday. I dud take an Alleve last night as a precaution. But I did our swim set today with minimal pain.

Comparing a treadmill to running outside is almost like comparing swimming in a pool to open water. I also play with speeds on a treadmill, listen to music, and at my gym I try to go in the back row so I can see 6+ tv's. But I don't know of any races on treadmills (I'm sure there's some), so if you want to mimic race conditions, you really need to get outside.
    Nice job shaking it up and competing! Once your ankle is fully healed, I think the splash & dash is your milieu! I don't think it was such a bad thing to be conservative on the run. You have many races ahead. Nice swim leg too! And the massage is sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Nice job shaking it up and competing! Once your ankle is fully healed, I think the splash & dash is your milieu! I don't think it was such a bad thing to be conservative on the run. You have many races ahead. Nice swim leg too! And the massage is sweet!
    Thanks, I do really like these races. Pretty low key, enough people to get some competition going, but not overly crowded on the course. And I'm thinking of going over to the dark side...both getting my own wetsuit (so I can extend this season, the guy who gave me his has no shoulders nor chest) and joining USAT (saves the $10 day fee). I really wish USMS and USAT could somehow partner and do a dual membership.

Haven't had a massage in years, so I'm way overdue.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Thanks, I do really like these races. Pretty low key, enough people to get some competition going, but not overly crowded on the course. And I'm thinking of going over to the dark side...both getting my own wetsuit (so I can extend this season, the guy who gave me his has no shoulders nor chest) and joining USAT (saves the $10 day fee). I really wish USMS and USAT could somehow partner and do a dual membership.

Haven't had a massage in years, so I'm way overdue.
    Way to go. Before you buy a wetsuit, call Triple Sports (old town Scottsdale) and ask them when they're doing another sale. You may or may not know, but they do a brisk business in wetsuit rental. After some period, they put these suits on great discounts. I bought my daughter one last year and it was still in very good shape. You might be at exactly the wrong time of year to get a deal as I think they do this (naturally) in the spring, but it's worth a call.

If you are going to do more races (OW in Tempe Town Lake on Nov 8th??), paying full price for a wetsuit is not horrible as they last a long time.
    Hey Patrick--the tri guys gave me info on a big wetsuit sale, online. They all like these, and about 1/2 off. A sleeveless is $100, a full is $160.