View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Friday, Oct. 23

Rate this Entry
RC Work:

Felt I had been shirking my RC work somewhat again, so I got a session in. My left lat/trap/terres are just a tad twingey.

external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
scapular stretches, 2 x 5
3 point arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15, each way
scapular wall slides, 2 x 25

20 minutes of stretching --- woohoo!


Swim/SCM/Solo:

I went to the hot gym pool b/c I wanted to sit in the steam room. Alas, it wasn't working.

Warm up:

800 variety swim, kick, drill

Stroke Work:

10 x 25 UW 4 point shooters (2 kicks on belly, right side, back, left side, etc.)

To amuse myself, I tried to stay exactly on the lane line as I twirled around. I like this drill, and hadn't done it in awhile.

10 x 25
odds = easy speed fly
evens = easy DAB

50 EZ

2 x (37.5 AFAP free w/fins, no breath + 112.5 cruise)

I tried these to see if I could fairly comfortably go 1 & 1/2 lengths with no breath. It was fairly easy. Of course, I was wearing fins. But then the pool was shallow SCM as well. I guess I'm inclined to try taking a breath in the 50 free halfway through the second length at the meet. Unless I forget, always possible. lol

No warm down: sat in hot tub for 15 minutes or so

Total: 1550 meters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I feel fairly good and semi-rested. I took a morning nap today after getting the kids off to school and can sleep in tomorrow since soccer is a PM event. Yipee! My body is reverting to teenager ways in my old age. I used to never be able to sleep in, but now I love it.

My neck feels better. I used an alternating ice & wet heat treatment last night and that helped. I will repeat tonight.

Unlike Speedo, I don't really have specific goal times for this meet. I would just like to swim fast and have error-free races. And, since this could be my last SCY tech suit clad meet, I'd like to post some solid times. If I can go around my seed times or a bit faster, I'd be pleased. Last year at this meet, I swam 100 fly (1:04), 50 fly (27.5) and 50 free (25.5). I remember being somewhat surprised by the 50 times last year, but then it was also my first yards meet in a B70.

Submit "Friday, Oct. 23" to Digg Submit "Friday, Oct. 23" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, Oct. 23" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, Oct. 23" to Google

Comments

  1. Speedo's Avatar
    Maybe expectations is a better term. Do you have any for your 50s?
  2. elise526's Avatar
    Good luck at your meet!

    Sleeping in is just wonderful! I had contemplated going to a local 5k race and going easy just to get the mileage in and to see a few friends. As the evening wears on, however, I'm liking the idea of sleeping in more and more.

    On your swim today - what is DAB?
  3. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Maybe expectations is a better term. Do you have any for your 50s?
    I'm always on the fence about this issue. Should I have target times for meets or not? Should I just blast away and see what happens? Although I am typically type A, I sometimes find myself defaulting to the latter mode. Not sure if that's good or not. I expect all my races on Sunday to be close, and that generally leads to fast times, I've found.

    But I'm honestly not sure what to expect. I'm not expecting PBs, that's for sure, as I'm not fully rested and I can tell that. I'm not positive the lift on Wednesday, even though light, was a good thing.

    If I go faster than last year's times in the 50 fly and 50 free from the Sprint Classic, I'd be thrilled. I hope to go faster in the 50 back than I did at the Fall Ball, where I had a loco mcstupid finish. 50 breast? Really, no idea. It all comes down to whether I make errors on the start/turn/finish. I've never had a meet where all components of all events went perfectly ...
    Updated October 23rd, 2009 at 08:57 PM by The Fortress
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Good luck at your meet!

    Sleeping in is just wonderful! I had contemplated going to a local 5k race and going easy just to get the mileage in and to see a few friends. As the evening wears on, however, I'm liking the idea of sleeping in more and more.

    On your swim today - what is DAB?
    DAB = double arm backstroke, which is my fav recovery option after an AFAP effort. Mostly so I can breath!

    Sleeping in is so wonderful! I'm really re-discovering it. For so many years, I got up at 6:30-7:00 every single day even on weekends. I'm even getting lazy about getting up to go to my Sunday 9:00 am practice.

    The problem with road races is that they are always so darn early. I understand that in the summer, but in the fall?! Why can't they have afternoon races? I just love an afternoon meet. The Albatross meet, our one afternoon PV meet, is always my fav. I need time in the morning to wake up fully. I am convinced I swim faster in the afternoon. What about you?
  5. elise526's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    DAB = double arm backstroke, which is my fav recovery option after an AFAP effort. Mostly so I can breath!

    Sleeping in is so wonderful! I'm really re-discovering it. For so many years, I got up at 6:30-7:00 every single day even on weekends. I'm even getting lazy about getting up to go to my Sunday 9:00 am practice.

    The problem with road races is that they are always so darn early. I understand that in the summer, but in the fall?! Why can't they have afternoon races? I just love an afternoon meet. The Albatross meet, our one afternoon PV meet, is always my fav. I need time in the morning to wake up fully. I am convinced I swim faster in the afternoon. What about you?
    Definitely not a morning person, so I absolutely adore races that start in the afternoons. Late morning is not bad. One reason I love the Athens, Georgia meet so much is that it does not start until 10. Usually I have an hour after the start time before I swim.

    When I thought about getting up tomorrow, son reminded me that there is a run next Saturday that is just .25 a mile from our house and starts at 9! Hooray! That means I can leave my house at 8:15, register, warm-up. If I do the one tomorrow, I'll have to leave the house by 6:30 to get there in time to register and warm-up.

    Sunday at 9 can come awfully early if one has done anything on Saturday night!
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Easy decision -- next Saturday's race!

    10:00 am is a decent start time for me as well. That's one reason I picked the NE meet over Zones.

    Unless it's something earth shattering, I just cannot get up at 6:30. Sometimes I wonder if I could ever go back to my previous schedule ... I used to go to bed earlier b/c my kids got up early and for my commute. Now that they're older and up later, I'm up later to have some time to relax sans kids. As a natural night owl, this definitely agrees with me.
  7. Speedo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I had a loco mcstupid finish.
    Oh. Oh Yeah. This term will be used for something I will do sometime soon. I hear you about the setting goals thing. I always have them and can never ignore them, though.

    By the way, are folks interested in a watering hole scheduled for post-meet activities? Endorphins and a nice beer is a combination I have a hard time putting words to. Red Hot and Blue, or across the street at Hard Times Cafe for some billiards?
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Oh. Oh Yeah. This term will be used for something I will do sometime soon. I hear you about the setting goals thing. I always have them and can never ignore them, though.

    By the way, are folks interested in a watering hole scheduled for post-meet activities? Endorphins and a nice beer is a combination I have a hard time putting words to. Red Hot and Blue, or across the street at Hard Times Cafe for some billiards?
    I have goals floating in my mind that I don't always make concrete. Now, if it's my taper or target meet, I usually have something more specific. Although PBs are always good. This summer I had a very concrete goal, and I almost think I jinxed myself by focusing on it so much! lol It's pretty fun when you surprise yourself with a time instead.

    I think folks will want beer and food. I could happily do either spot. I just have to be home by 4:15 for birthday party chauffeuring.
  9. Bobinator's Avatar
    I'm glad your neck is feeling better!
    Are you doing any of the Tyr Grand Prix Meets?
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I'm glad your neck is feeling better!
    Are you doing any of the Tyr Grand Prix Meets?
    I wish! The TYR series is fabulous, but I always have conflicts with the Indy meet (same weekend as Sprint Classic) and Chicago meet (same weekend as Tom Dolan USA-S meet) here. I've heard the Louisville pool is fabulous, but the meet runs very fast.

    Good luck in Indy!
  11. jim thornton's Avatar
    Good luck, Leslie!

    Swim like the wind!

    And say hi to Mark Cox--super duper guy.
  12. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Swim like the wind!

    And say hi to Mark Cox--super duper guy.
    I shall try.

    And I shall. I am the designated B70 zipper-upper! I think he will have some fast times in this pool if all his previous times have been done at your beloved Y meets.

    Then I will look forward to racing him in practice over Thanksgiving. Are you in PA that weekend and is my fav coach Bill holding practices at some point?
  13. aztimm's Avatar
    Sounds like you're all set. Good luck at your meet!!!

    Surprisingly, my gym pool is a good temp for swimming, usually around 78. Actually usually cooler than the ASU Rec Center pool.
  14. pwolf66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    By the way, are folks interested in a watering hole scheduled for post-meet activities? Endorphins and a nice beer is a combination I have a hard time putting words to. Red Hot and Blue, or across the street at Hard Times Cafe for some billiards?
    RH&B is a tradition. I hope that tradition continues.
  15. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Sounds like you're all set. Good luck at your meet!!!

    Surprisingly, my gym pool is a good temp for swimming, usually around 78. Actually usually cooler than the ASU Rec Center pool.
    You're lucky! My gym pool is 85. Some have complained, but the older lap swimmers and kids having lessons always trump everyone else.
  16. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    RH&B is a tradition. I hope that tradition continues.
    You should pick. You're the birthday boy!

    And, hey, we're both celebrating masters anniversaries at the Sprint Classic!
  17. pwolf66's Avatar
    Yep, your 23rd and my 3rd :-)
  18. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Yep, your 23rd and my 3rd :-)
    Thanks a lot, dude. :-P I'll get you for that, sucka!
  19. Speedo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    And, hey, we're both celebrating masters anniversaries at the Sprint Classic!
    Wow- I feel like I've been swimming for so much longer, but it's my first anniversary. Maybe it's the AM workouts . . .
  20. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Wow- I feel like I've been swimming for so much longer, but it's my first anniversary. Maybe it's the AM workouts . . .
    Happy anniversary! It's my 5th. I swam a 29.5 in the 50 fly at my first meet. lol