View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Friday Oct 23: AM Swim & PM Gym

Rate this Entry
by , October 24th, 2009 at 12:07 AM (502 Views)
Made it to swim this morning with the team, ASU Rec Center, SCY
--600 warm-up choice
6 x 100 @ 1:40, descend 1-3/4-6
3 x 75 @ 2:00, breathing pattern, once on the first 25, twice on the 2nd, 3x on the 3rd
easy 25
6 x 50 @ 1:30, breathe once on the first 25, twice on the 2nd
easy 100
9 x 25 @ 1:00, breathe once
easy 75
200 cool down

I really hate these limited breathing sets. Might have been the splash and dash, or just that I'm horrible at these...but on average my times were significantly slower than regular--
75's: 5-10 sec slower
50's: 3-8 sec slower
25's: 2-7 sec slower
As I'm going into the wall, I just feel like I'm swimming in slow motion.

Anyway, made it to the gym after work. I was going to do the bike or elliptical, but after reading Patrick's post, I stole decided on a treadmill workout--
Treadmill: 2 miles, 18:12, 226.6 cal, avg pace 6.6 mph
Stole the guts of Patrick's workout he posted earlier. 2 min warmup then 2 x 1 min at each (6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, and 8 mph), on round 2 the 8 mph (7:30 pace) held for 4 min. Same on the down, but by 30 sec, into a 2 min warmdown, did a little extra to get in a full 2 miles.
Wearing my long baggy weights shorts, really felt it!
Chest press with dumbbells, flat bench, feet crossed in air: (weights are each arm) 1 x 15 x 35, 1 x 12 x 45, 1 x 12 x 55, 2 x 10 x 60, 2 x 6 x 65
Precor pec fly: 1 x 15 x 100, 1 x 12 x 130, 1 x 12 x 150, 1 x 8 x 170
Hammer strength iso lateral row: 1 x 15 x 90, 1 x 12 x 160, 1 x 12 x 180, 1 x 8 x 210
Hammer strength iso lateral front lat pulldown: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 8 x 180
Flex fitness dip machine: 1 x 15 x 150, 1 x 12 x 180. 1 x 12 x 210
Precor camber curl: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 80, 1 x 10 x 90
Precor triceps extension: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 80
Nautilus nitro abdominal: 1 x 25 x 125, 2 x 25 x 140
Leg raise: 3 x 15

Hadn't done this type of chest press for a while, so figured I'd do it. Was surprised I was able to do as much as I did. About what I was doing pre-injury.

All in, I ran about 12 miles this week. Pretty paltry compared with the 30-35 I was doing in July, but considering I wasn't able to even run a few weeks ago, 12 isn't bad.

There's another Splash & Dash next Friday, and of course I'm thinking of doing it. This one is a 750m swim, then 4k run, more info HERE.

Still planning to run outside near home on Sunday. My Garmin is all charged; will look at it to see if I need to reprogram it. Thought of using it last night, but decided against it. I have a new pair of running shoes I got about a week before my injury that have been staring me in the face for the past 2 months, will probably try them out.

Submit "Friday Oct 23:  AM Swim & PM Gym" to Digg Submit "Friday Oct 23:  AM Swim & PM Gym" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday Oct 23:  AM Swim & PM Gym" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday Oct 23:  AM Swim & PM Gym" to Google

Comments

Hadn't done this type of chest press for a while, so figured I'd do it. Was surprised I was able to do as much as I did.
    You might be surprised at how sore your chest is today. Strength takes a long time to leave you, but endurance, not so much. Of course, you are probably ready for a little muscle soreness after all the time off.

I really hate these limited breathing sets.
    I don't really understand these sets, so I usually ignore them and do something else. CS mentioned he likes hypoxic for getting his heartrate up without taxing his muscles during taper, but this early in the season, I think 75s on 2:00 could be time better used doing something else. For fitness swimmers and OW swimmers, I have no idea when BC sets are useful.
    There is a difference between breath control sets and hypoxic SDK sets though. I agree with Chris, I like the latter during taper or for extended warm up. But I never ever do breath control work while swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    There is a difference between breath control sets and hypoxic SDK sets though. I agree with Chris, I like the latter during taper or for extended warm up. But I never ever do breath control work while swimming.
    There is a difference, but they both end up being hypoxic work :P

I will concede that SDK work is valuable outside its hypoxic nature. I will also concede that there are sets where breath control is a value add, but most breath control sets are stupid, like the 3-5-7-9 set, or Tim's version today.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You might be surprised at how sore your chest is today. Strength takes a long time to leave you, but endurance, not so much. Of course, you are probably ready for a little muscle soreness after all the time off.

I don't really understand these sets, so I usually ignore them and do something else. CS mentioned he likes hypoxic for getting his heartrate up without taxing his muscles during taper, but this early in the season, I think 75s on 2:00 could be time better used doing something else. For fitness swimmers and OW swimmers, I have no idea when BC sets are useful.
    Chest really isn't much more sore than normal. But then again I went to bed around 10pm and slept until 8am

I asked the coach what the point of those sets was, and I think he got annoyed with me (tough to tell, he's British). I don't remember his response exactly, but I'll try to summarize--
    * It is harder
    * It uses more aerobic capacity
    * You shouldn't have to breathe more than once for a 50 anyway
    (there was more)

I always thought you were supposed to make swimming as efficient for you (easier), this goes against that concept.
    I have a tough time just doing a 25 with no breath, let alone a 50. As I described above, sure I can push things a bit to conserve air, but my speed goes way way down.