View RSS Feed

Meet Director's Path to Tranquility

Genesis, part iii

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
“Let the will be set on the path of duty. Let every attainment in what is good be firmly grasped."
-Confucius

Origins of the Tropical Splash
2003 Recollections

WHAT!!??
The pool manager was contacted to review times and procedures for the meet. We met to compare notes. This is when I learned that there was an aquatics class in session that utilized the deep end of the pool while our meet would be going on.

I don't know what the class was, but I imagined blue-haired ladies wearing foam belts, bobbing up and down with foam barbells in their hands; Masters swimmers shouting on deck on three sides surrounding them; and someone sprinting butterfly in the lane next to them. Not knowing what a masters meet was all about, the pool manager assumed it would be similar to a USA Swimming dual meet, with about 40-50 swimmers (and all you need is love to get along with the blue-haired ladies.)

Although the pool was willing to go through with it, I felt the arrangement was unacceptable, and would result in lots of complaints afterwards. If the class (whatever it was) complained, we might not be allowed to hold a meet again (thinking of the future and the possibility that the meet would become an annual event.)

We discussed alternate times and alternate dates, but nothing worked. So the Blue-Gray Battle was history before being fought.

Deflated, we thought about using one of the other pools. George Washington Rec Center was a 25yd x 25yd pool that did not receive a lot of use from the public or from rentals. It opened on Sundays at 1:00 PM, allowing us to have the pool to ourselves in the morning. Its deficiencies included small locker rooms and parking lot, small deck space, and no seating.

We talked to the pool manager. There was a boat rental (canoe class) using the pool every other Sunday morning, and the last Sunday in January was theirs. This left us the first Sunday in February (the previous Sunday was a holiday weekend, and parents home entertaining kids would not be competing in a meet - they would be skiing and shopping we were advised.) And, the pool manager was willing to let us rent the pool as individual lanes - cheaper than renting at the 'entire facility' fee. The manager would be getting rental income from a time that the pool was normally closed, so he was happy.

There were about 40 plastic deck chairs at the pool. Three of our team members were on the board of a summer outdoor pool where we hold summer workouts, and offered up their deck chairs to use during the meet. I counted 144 parking spaces and 128 men's lockers in working order. Seemed like enough for a meet. We agreed to hold the meet February 1.

After a Saturday workout, we met as usual at the local cafe and developed the framework for the Tropical Splash - a fun meet with a tropical theme as a way to beat the winter blues. (A civil war battle theme seemed blasphemous at George Washington's pool.) The cannonball relay was converted to the coconut relay. In many many ways, the possibilities of a tropical meet were superior to the Blue-Gray Battle.

And that's the convoluted history and background of how our meet was born. Next up... the decisions and details for this year's meet.

BOOK OF WISDOM
  • Don't ever count yourself out - find a way.
  • Look beyond the obvious end - it is not the end

Submit "Genesis, part iii" to Digg Submit "Genesis, part iii" to del.icio.us Submit "Genesis, part iii" to StumbleUpon Submit "Genesis, part iii" to Google

Updated November 10th, 2009 at 07:03 AM by Rnovitske

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments