View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

KPN 'slapped' some sense into me.

Rate this Entry
Quick story: There are two big round tables and KPN is sitting between the two back far enough away so that she can face both tables easily. I show up and sit down next to a friend of mine, which puts me closest to KPN. Demo time comes around, and KPN has me stand up, then knocks me down. Next she lets me sit down, and slaps me. Obviously she does things a little differently, because usually I get slapped before I get tumbled.

My wife wanted to go, but she had to work. My USMS coach wanted to go but he had to run his 50th tri for the year, so he couldn't go. This is important, because I had to review everything with my wife when I got home and I will have to review everything Monday morning again at practice. This was very good because it made me realize how much stuff I had learned. I learned a few things that were so fundamental to swimming I am shocked I made it this long without knowing them. Before reviewing everything, I wasn't sure how much I got out of the clinic.

The most profound thing I learned might be something every other swimmer is born knowing, but I was thrilled to discover it. Have someone provide some hand resistence like the guy in this picture. Now press down with just your finger tips, and notice that the muscles along the top of your arms are most activated. Now press down against their hands with just your wrists, your back should be the main muscle. I don't think anyone else was excited as I was by this.

The foundation of the class is wide stroke, I-pull freestyle. There was video tape before and after, and my before, I am very much a centerline swimmer with some cross over. Afterward, I feel like my hand in entering somewhere on the other side of the lane rope, I watch the video and my hand is entering perfectly in line with my shoulder. The feeling over overdoing it was still really weird, and without the second video taping, I would not have believed I was entering the 4-6 inches off my centerline but somewhere out about 24 inches. It feels really weird, but it looks great on tape.

I played some more with the stroke today (clinic was yesterday) and I have not found anything from my new stroke that I want to discard and replace with something from my old stroke. She had us play with Janet Evans recovery, but wasn't a focus point and how much bend is in my arm recovery is still something to think about and play with.

Tomorrow I should have a waterproof video camera in the mail. That should increase the frequency of my video reviews from twice ever, to at least monthly.

I didn't go too much in detail about the clinic. Overall, it was a very enjoyable clinic, I respected Karlyn as a swimmer before the clinic and after the clinic I consider her a good teacher.

Quick story postscript: The slap was a theatrical mock slap, but she really did knock me over.

Submit "KPN 'slapped' some sense into me." to Digg Submit "KPN 'slapped' some sense into me." to del.icio.us Submit "KPN 'slapped' some sense into me." to StumbleUpon Submit "KPN 'slapped' some sense into me." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I've been playing around with this straight arm freestyle stroke alot with our over-reaching swimmers. It is a near magical fix...

Karlynn is a super high energy teacher - and she knows what she is doing! I've never swum next to her in practice or with her watching when she didn't give me some good piece of advice.
    Her husband Eric was and is a GREAT masters swim coach!
    I sure would love to swim with them more often...

So glad you were able to go!

Now if you hit the Walnut Creek Intensive Clinic, you'll have done them all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn
    I've been playing around with this straight arm freestyle stroke alot with our over-reaching swimmers. It is a near magical fix...

Karlynn is a super high energy teacher - and she knows what she is doing! I've never swum next to her in practice or with her watching when she didn't give me some good piece of advice.
    Her husband Eric was and is a GREAT masters swim coach!
    I sure would love to swim with them more often...

So glad you were able to go!

Now if you hit the Walnut Creek Intensive Clinic, you'll have done them all!
    Too bad spending more time with her would require a relo to Kona, or would that be too bad? I was glad I was able to go too.

Walnut Creek Intensive is Kerry's? I will go look it up and figure out when I am going I am pretty sure that is the second time you have mentioned it to me and I was just saying to my wife that I need someone to work on my turns with me.

Always a pleasure to see you stop by Ahelee.
    Sounds like a great clinic Q! I would love to go to something like that!
    So is our hand supposed to be outside the shoulder now? I've been trying to place my hand in line with the shoulder (extended above) at the top of the pull. I really never know if it's where I think it is or not. A video camera is a great idea.
    Drat, why did you have to go to that dang clinic? Now I'm gonna have to work even harder.
    Sounds like a cool experience. Good luck with the new stroke. Keep us posted with your progress!
    What did she say about nutrition?

I gather she knocked you over b/c her drylands are superior?

I fear that I sometimes am too close to the midline as well when I am not swimming with a straight arm free. It's amazing that there can be such a huge difference between what you perceive you're doing and what you're actually doing ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Sounds like a great clinic Q! I would love to go to something like that!
    So is our hand supposed to be outside the shoulder now? I've been trying to place my hand in line with the shoulder (extended above) at the top of the pull. I really never know if it's where I think it is or not. A video camera is a great idea.
    No, your hand is supposed to be inline with your shoulder, but for 3 hours she told us to put our hands wide. It felt/feels like my hands are going in at 10 and 2, but on the video, right in front of my shoulder. Sounds like you are doing it right.

Video cameras have been around forever. Why have we not been taking them to swim practice for regular reviews is beyond me. I am going to try to video tape myself at least monthly going forward.
    Hey good question Fort... what DID KPN and Eric say about nutrition??
    Eric has done the Hawaii Ironman the past few years and he is as lean as I have ever seen him.
    I'd venture to say they are grazers like me... but smaller portions - ha ha!

Walnut Creek Intensive Training Camp is usually the 1st weekend of March. No info out yet.
    WC hosts the Pacific Masters Regional Champs and it just wrapped up. So the registration will probably open soon.

The SwimFest10 is in San Diego the first weekend of June.
    Updated October 25th, 2009 at 07:11 PM by Ahelee Sue Osborn
    One of my swimmers gave me a little FLIP camera and I have been popping out emailed clips to swimmers after almost every workout I coach.
    Its' really awesome!

I can say that most swimmers have to exaggerate to make big changes in their strokes.
    You are both right - the initial change is almost never even close to what it feels like...

Swimmers are shocked when they see their strokes for the first time.
    Even more, they are surprised at how difficult it is to change and make the new stroke permanent.

Ande nailed it when he said that every single day you have to, "Grind it in!"
    Drat, why did you have to go to that dang clinic? Now I'm gonna have to work even harder.
    You are my motivation to improve all aspects of my stroke

Sounds like a cool experience. Good luck with the new stroke. Keep us posted with your progress!
    Thanks Katie, will do.

What did she say about nutrition?
    LOL, it was brief. She had Nessquik and slim milk for breakfast and she recommended considering things like slim fast (really cheap from costco she says), drink powders, chocolate milk, some other stuff. Her nutrition talk was that you need carbs and protein after practice, and you need to eat breakfast. Figure out how to make it happen and worry less about what it is. Not at all what I was expecting. She thinks puresport really is better than Accelerade and Endurox. She did a 8k workout with a college team (don't remember which) and was drinking puresport, and felt good at the end. She has done similar workouts with the same team and felt like toast by the end drinking Accelerade/Endurox.

Not really what I was expecting.

I gather she knocked you over b/c her drylands are superior?
    No, KPN is like 3x bigger than me... you've seen her pictures you say...

We were talking about feet splay. So I stood up with my feet together, and she says, "What happens when you are unbalanced?" she knocks me over, someone answers, "Your feet come apart." I was used for education purposes, thank you.

I fear that I sometimes am too close to the midline as well when I am not swimming with a straight arm free. It's amazing that there can be such a huge difference between what you perceive you're doing and what you're actually doing ...
    No kidding. She told me my stroke looked beautiful before we went back up to the classroom, and then I saw it on tape and thought I was totally doing it wrong. She had said wide hands for 4 hours, and I did that in the pool, but on tape, 6 inches max movement, probably 4. I was amazed.
    So she just has Nesquick and skim milk for breakfast?! No food? Does she eat food or just drink stuff? OK, no wonder she's skinny. Well, that and the 8K workouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn
    Hey good question Fort... what DID KPN and Eric say about nutrition??
    Eric has done the Hawaii Ironman the past few years and he is as lean as I have ever seen him.
    I'd venture to say they are grazers like me... but smaller portions - ha ha!

Walnut Creek Intensive Training Camp is usually the 1st weekend of March. No info out yet.
    WC hosts the Pacific Masters Regional Champs and it just wrapped up. So the registration will probably open soon.

The SwimFest10 is in San Diego the first weekend of June.
    Is Eric a short fat guy wearing a Y staff t shirt? No? Then he wasn't there I do bet they are grazers JUST like you. I am going to have to check your albums for vanity shots.

Thanks for the info. My wife might divorce me if I keep getting all this good instruction without her being able to make a clinic, so the Intensive might have to wait until 2011. But I will try to sneak it in. Thanks for the early info on swimfest.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    So she just has Nesquick and skim milk for breakfast?! No food? Does she eat food or just drink stuff? OK, no wonder she's skinny. Well, that and the 8K workouts.
    We didn't get into it, and by then I was in information overload. On a normal day, I would have quizzed her more, but she stuffed me to bursting with things to think about already. Sorry.

I think she stays skinny by eating little, swimming, yoga and weights with few days off.
    Spinning too ...

I see how it is ... she's extremely busy/exercising and barely eating. I suspect this act is harder to pull off with 3 hungry kids in the house.
    Updated October 26th, 2009 at 09:37 AM by The Fortress
    I am glad that you got alot of this clinic. Hopefully, this will help you get that top 20 ranking in the 200 free. Plus, it might be a little easier since you are improving and some people will drop off a little due to no tech suits.