View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sprint Classic

Rate this Entry
Celebrated my 5th anniversary as a masters swimmer today at the GMU Sprint Classic. My first masters meet was Oct. 2005, a few months after being hobbled by running injuries.

I swam the 50 back, 50 breast, 50 fly and the four 25s. Didn't have enough gas to swim the 50 free -- it was just too close to the 50 fly and I was still tired. Plus, I didn't want to be absolutely trashed for the very fun annual Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters.

Here's how it went:

50 back: 1st place, 28.55

2005 time: 31.1

Turnover was good, but felt a bit choppy, much like the Fall Ball. My first breakout was not ideal; I was angled up to much instead of having my head back. I glided into the finish again a bit (though not quite as loco mcstupid as the prior meet). Not sure I should have taken another stroke. Wolfy noted that, based on my stroke count, I was in "no man's land" where either gliding in or smacking my arm on the wall was inevitable. Still, apart from CZ last April, this is my second fastest 50 back time ever -- the same time I swam fully tapered at Auburn last February.

50 evil, 3rd place(?), 34.82

Got absolutely owned on my gridges with Wolfy and Stud. Kudos to them! And an absolute failure to execute on my part. I went way too deep on the start. I had a good streamline, dolphin kick, pull down and kick up and, then, well, I was still 2 feet under water at the 15 meter mark ... Very comical. I thought I was floating up veeeerrrry slowly to the surface, but others detected some unintentional flutter kicking. However, despite everyone shouting "DQ" at what seemed like the top of their lungs after the race, I wasn't DQ'd. lol But I must admit that, after floating around in a streamline position for seemingly forever, I completely forgot everything Allen Stark ever said to me about evilstroke and swam old style evil. Still, I guess if you discount my little "error" the swim wouldn't be that far off the 34.1 I swam at CZ last April where I had a good start and turn.

50 fly: 1st place, 27.65

2005 time: 29.5

Pretty solid race. I felt like I was missing some zip, didn't have the best streamline entering the water, and glided just a tad into the turn and finish. Speedo filmed this race, so I'll see what it looks like on video. (I looked quickly on camera -- and it showed me peeking at the competition!) I went 27.5 last year at this meet, so this is virtually equivalent.

Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters:

Now, for the BEST part of the meet. Last year, I went:

25 back, 13.96 (1st)
25 evil, 15.95 (3rd)
25 fly, 12.71 (3rd)
25 free, 12.01 (1st)

This year, I went:

25 back, 13.74 (1st)
25 evil, 15.69 (4th)
25 fly, 12.61 (1st)
25 free, 12.01 (1st)

I was a little worried about defending my Fastest Woman in the Pool title after scoring 0 points on the 25 evil (though I had a much better start). But I got really good starts on my last 2 25s, especially on my 25 fly where Wolfy said I had a great breakout. I barely held off Cheryl Ward and Jen O'Reilly in the 25 free -- they were closing fast. SwimmieAvsFan showed some real sprint today (including winning the 50 free)! I'm hoping my sprint victory makes Ahlee happy -- I'm getting older, but still faster.

The boys' 25s were fast and furious! One guy went 9.96 in the 25 free in a brief (though no one's brief was as brief as those sported by Muppet and SwimStud!) Typically, the clock doesn't start picking up times until 10 seconds, but fortunately Cheryl had re-set the clock to pick up times at 9. Wow!

I wish more meet directors would do 25s! It's great speed work, great work on starts and great fun. I was happily surprised that my times were slightly faster than last year. And I liked my prize -- goggles, cap and cool t-shirt from our first CZ meet at GMU. I still am wearing the GMU suit I won in 2007 as well.

Sat in the hottub chatting with Speedo, Wolfy, Cage Fighter, SwimStud and SwimShark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I didn't feel completely "on" at the meet. In fact, Speedo and I both felt slightly flat. It could possibly be that a 3 day taper would have been better than a 5+ day taper. Also, I usually don't lift at all the week before a meet and this week I lifted 2x, although somewhat lightly. Who knows exactly how much these little things make a difference, if at all. But it was a very fun, very low key meet.

I feel pretty trashed now. Swimming at a meet is so much more exhausting than doing AFAP work at practice.

I chatted with Jeff Roddin at bit before scratching the 50 free. We agreed that it is very difficult to swim 4 50s + 4 25s at a meet at a high level on the type of AFAP workouts I am currently doing. To do that many events, we both thought some more conditioning was required. For this reason, I will likely not enter the 50 evil at NEChamps on Sat. and stick with no more than 3 events per day.

Wolfy encouraged me to continue yoga, asserting I would get more bang for my buck doing that as opposed to more lifting. I'm not sure about this, as I'm already pretty flexy. But it definitely loosens up my upper and mid back more than usual.

And ... my trusty B70 developed a small hole after the 50 back. It didn't get any bigger as the meet went on. But it seems to be ending it's life span. Of course, it's nothing like Wolfy's B70 ...

On that note, I'm not sure there is an "apples to apples" comparison of my times between this year's meet and last year's meet. The B70 I wore at last year's meet was much newer than this one. There's nothing quite as performance enhancing as a spanking new suit.

And, Jimby, your buddy Mark Cox is a real speedster! He swam great today.

Submit "Sprint Classic" to Digg Submit "Sprint Classic" to del.icio.us Submit "Sprint Classic" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sprint Classic" to Google

Updated October 26th, 2009 at 09:17 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Great swims! I wish I cold do as well but even as a kid I couldn't keep up with you.

Keep up the great swims.
    GREAT meet report Fort! Ah... I agree about race directors adding 25s to create some fun sprint action!

So - I am still not getting this dolphin kick 1st underwater pull down on your evilstroke... I've tried it in workout and I keep dolphin kicking a 2nd time. You really think its faster?
    It seems like it would be your saving grace if you went deep on the dive to be able to reposition and dolphin kick upwards - no?

I CAN NOT WAIT to see the video clips coming...

You make us all proud!
    well done, great report!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn

So - I am still not getting this dolphin kick 1st underwater pull down on your evilstroke... I've tried it in workout and I keep dolphin kicking a 2nd time. You really think its faster?
    It seems like it would be your saving grace if you went deep on the dive to be able to reposition and dolphin kick upwards - no?
    I think I'm faster doing the dolphin kick first and then the pull down. That change is what, I think, caused me to drop a lot of time in the 50 evil at CZ. However, Wolfy thinks it's faster to do the dolphin kick at the end of the pullout. I've never tried it that way.

That's a good suggestion on the dive! I think the real problem is that I don't do enough starts in general and I do 1-2 evilstroke starts per year. Hard to be consistent that way. I recall going very deep and having the same problem on one another 50 evil race -- think it was LC Zones in 2008.
    Great job today! It was great to see you! I wish you great swims and stellar training this fall!
    Au Contraire, for me, it's faster, much faster to do the DK as my hands start the final snap of the pull. I set my self at a slightly downward angle prior to starting the pull, ride slightly up at the start of my pull and as my hands reach the bottom of my ribcage, I snap a strong kick. But everyone's technique, body, speed, allightment, strength, etc. is different so I encourage everyone to get a stop watch, find a buddy to time you and practice various techniques and find out which one works best for you.
    Nice sprinting ... the 25s sounded fun, but you still should've swum the 50 free!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Au Contraire, for me, it's faster, much faster to do the DK as my hands start the final snap of the pull. I set my self at a slightly downward angle prior to starting the pull, ride slightly up at the start of my pull and as my hands reach the bottom of my ribcage, I snap a strong kick. But everyone's technique, body, speed, allightment, strength, etc. is different so I encourage everyone to get a stop watch, find a buddy to time you and practice various techniques and find out which one works best for you.

That's what I was trying to say in my un-coachful way. Great job on your masters PBs today.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    Nice sprinting ... the 25s sounded fun, but you still should've swum the 50 free!
    Mid-distance Geek! :-P

I just did not feel compelled to swim on so little rest. I rarely ever do. That's the nature of the drop dead sprinter-beast. I lasted way longer than Jazzy!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Mid-distance Geek! :-P

I just did not feel compelled to swim on so little rest. I rarely ever do. That's the nature of the drop dead sprinter-beast. I lasted way longer than Jazzy!
    I agree with Mid-distance Geek here in regard to swimming the 50 Free...

Yes, you would have felt it - but I also know you would have scored one of the fastest 50s of the SCM season!

Sheez... but I'm happy if you're happy - seriously!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn
    I agree with Mid-distance Geek here in regard to swimming the 50 Free...

Yes, you would have felt it - but I also know you would have scored one of the fastest 50s of the SCM season!

Sheez... but I'm happy if you're happy - seriously!
    I'm happy!

It was SCY, so I figured I had another chance, though perhaps not in high tech suit. In retrospect, I probably should have swum the 50 free instead of the 50 evil. But c'est la vie.

I promise I won't scratch my 50 free in SCM in December! In fact, lesson learned, I'm not going to sign up for the 50 evil as I have events after that!
    Updated October 25th, 2009 at 09:07 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    In retrospect, I probably should have swum the 50 free instead of the 50 evil. But c'est la vie.
    I tried my disapproving coach face but apparently that only works on 12 and unders.
    Updated October 25th, 2009 at 08:52 PM by pwolf66
    It sounds like your new training regime is working very well! GREAT MEET FORT!
    Wow, it sounds like lots of cool swimmers were there. I wish I could have been there too.
    I think you deserve a relaxing evening with all the chard you desire!
    I tried my disapproving coach face but apparently that only works on 12 and unders.
    Stud tried that one too, but I am pretty immune to guilt. Interestingly, Jeff seemed to think it was a perfectly plausible course of action!

I wonder if I would have won the BOTDDS if I had swum the 50 free? Remember, Cheryl was completely fresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    It sounds like your new training regime is working very well! GREAT MEET FORT!
    Wow, it sounds like lots of cool swimmers were there. I wish I could have been there too.
    I think you deserve a relaxing evening with all the chard you desire!
    Hard to tell, I think b/c the regimen's so new ... It was a fun meet as usual!

I am going to veg in front of the TV with chard, for sure.
    I loved that Cheryl, having not swam a single event prior, donned a LZR. LOL.
    50 back: 1st place, 28.55
    Leslie, really nice meeting you today. Thanks for the words of wisdom and advice. The butterflies in my stomach were eating me alive. It's good to have my first USMS meet in the bag. Great pool. Great vibe there. It was a looooong drive back to Pitt. Hope you and Paul will come to the AMAM meet at Duquesne in December.
    She said that until Thursday she was signed up for the 200 IM, but decided she wasn't fit enough. Huh? She was pretty scorching in those 25s and owned me in evil!
    Thx, Mr. 25.53. But you still gotta go faster than 27.90. :-P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast