View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

50 fly/back vids, Monday, Oct. 26

Rate this Entry
Run:

Went for a 5 mile zen run today. Perfect fall weather!

Videos from Sprint Classic:

Here are the meet results: http://www.patriotmasters.org/Sprint...limResults.htm

I was lucky enough to have Speedo and SwimStud tape my 50 fly and Swimmy tape the final heat of the women's 50 back. And I must say, they revealed all my technical difficulties! lol

On the 50 back, my underwater on the second 25 was better than my first 25 -- somewhat unusual for me. On the first 25, I broke out with my head at an angle instead of leaning back. I recall this moment. I had done 13-14 dolphin kicks and was thinking that I better get the hell to the surface fast. But I thought my turn looked decent.

On the 50 fly, I took a HUGE look at my nearby competitor. 100 lashes, though I do note some acceleration after that look. My breakouts looked a little rocky as well. And my start ... well, that was my worst one of the meet and I made a lot of noise. lol And yes, I was wearing a B70 and my chief competitor (former secret nemesis was AWOL) was not, but I was old enough to be her mom.

Here's the final 50 back heat of Team Hottub Ladies, most of whom are illustrious top ten backstrokers and good swim buddies:

Lane 3, Barbara Clifford-Dicks
Lane 4, Fort
Lane 5, SwimmieAvsFan
Lane 6, Julie-Mulie Oplinger Roddin
Lane 7, Swimshark

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBjKjaq8IKs"]YouTube- MVI 1033[/ame]

Barb and SwimmieAvsFan have been really working on their SDKs and I think it really shows!

And here's the 50 fly taped by Speedo:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2T_GJLUsg"]YouTube- swimming sprint classic 006.avi[/ame]

If you look closely, you can see Stud in his itsby bitsy teeny weeny Speedo brief on the other side of the pool taping.

The 50 fly from the other side of the pool taped by Stud:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRcif3L90cg"]YouTube- Leslie 50 Fly zones...[/ame]

Sore neck:

My neck is pretty sore today. I noticed a twinge in the right side after the evilstroke start. So it was either caused by: (1) so many starts, (2) checking out the competition, or (3) swiveling my head to check out the cute guys in the hottub (Eney's suggestion, lol). I would have liked to go for a slow swim this afternoon and sit in the hottub, but it's a no go with too much to do. Tomorrow hopefully.

Submit "50 fly/back vids, Monday, Oct. 26" to Digg Submit "50 fly/back vids, Monday, Oct. 26" to del.icio.us Submit "50 fly/back vids, Monday, Oct. 26" to StumbleUpon Submit "50 fly/back vids, Monday, Oct. 26" to Google

Updated November 5th, 2009 at 11:04 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events , Running

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nice finish on the fly.
    Fly start a little flat on the entry. While I am a practitioner of the old skool grab start and no expert on the new wave track start (as "invented" by Rowdy), I would suggest trying to get your head up slightly at the start, which should get your legs and feet up, too, for a cleaner entry. YMMV. However, I am always fastest off the blocks...
    Jim, while getting her head up at the start would promote what you say, she needs to work on exploding her hands forward and then getting into a tight streamline position with her head tucked between her hands. THAT more than anything will promote a good entry angle. And OH MY GOD do I look like a dork in that picture.
    Hands up and forward, then head follows, then torso, then legs.
    Looks great to me. Congratulations on the fast swims.
    Thanks so much for the tips, guys! I wish I had you on deck to work on these. I'm going to try to do some every Thursday from now on. I think my starts got better as the day wore on. I was really focusing on exploding my hands on the 25s. However, the good entry angle has long been elusive for me.

Should my head be about where my competitor's was in the 50 fly? She probably would have beat me if she hadn't breathed 10 x.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mswimming
    Looks great to me. Congratulations on the fast swims.
    Thank you! I appreciate it. I know I have lots of technical things to work on, and much of this is difficult swimming solo. So it's nice to have encouragement along the way.
    Hmm, I wonder if I could talk to the folks at Spring Hill and convince them to let us use the blocks there? I'm a USA-S coach, Fort is USA-S registered so liability is covered there. Hmm...
    Fort, I'll download the video and sometime this week break it down frame by frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Hmm, I wonder if I could talk to the folks at Spring Hill and convince them to let us use the blocks there? I'm a USA-S coach, Fort is USA-S registered so liability is covered there. Hmm...
    They say it's a country regulation that you can't use the blocks.
    Fort, I'll download the video and sometime this week break it down frame by frame.
    Thanks! I need tips on my fly breakouts too. Is this a function of not having my kick count down or is it something else? Starting the breakout too soon or too late? The backstroke breakout issue is much easier to correct by just thinking about keeping the head back.
    Actually I think a better thought would be to press your shoulder blades against the water. I thought about it a bit more and I think it's not so much your head that's the issue, it's that you're not pressing your shoulders down on the water.
    Nice swims Leslie. Good turnover and turns. So did you feel like the sprint specific training has helped? And that the 5 day taper was enough?
    I'm going to have to talk to Bobby about adding 25's to the DAM meet in February-sounds fun. Still not sure how to swim a 25 Breast fast. Maybe I'm too tall, but my body doesn't move that fast doing that stroke.
    Thanks for posting. You're helping me get motivated.
    Actually I think a better thought would be to press your shoulder blades against the water. I thought about it a bit more and I think it's not so much your head that's the issue, it's that you're not pressing your shoulders down on the water.
    Good point. I think that this was part of the Eddie Reese tip that Ande reported awhile ago. I think I did this pretty well on my 50 back start at LC Nats.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhenderson
    Nice swims Leslie. Good turnover and turns. So did you feel like the sprint specific training has helped? And that the 5 day taper was enough?
    I'm going to have to talk to Bobby about adding 25's to the DAM meet in February-sounds fun. Still not sure how to swim a 25 Breast fast. Maybe I'm too tall, but my body doesn't move that fast doing that stroke.
    Thanks for posting. You're helping me get motivated.
    Thanks! I think the sprint specific training helped, especially on the 25s.

A 5 day taper is just a mini-taper. Plus, I did lift the week before, which I usually don't do before a meet. Definitely NOT enough for a good rest. The last year or so, I've done well with a 2-3 week taper. It takes forever to rest the legs when you're beating up on them all the time with kicking, weights, plyos, etc.

Hope you can get 25s added to your meet. They're definitely drop dead sprinter heaven.
    That 50 back looked superb. You work that 15 meters right to the cut-off!

KPN is in for some good competition. Nice 50 fly too!
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    That 50 back looked superb. You work that 15 meters right to the cut-off!

KPN is in for some good competition. Nice 50 fly too!
    Thanks, Quick. I did space out on the start for just a second and then realize I had to get up quick. That may be the furthest I've gone on the second length. It's starting to feel pretty natural now after feeling like I was struggling with backstroke SDks for a long time. The nose clip made all the difference! (Although Bill White insists I don't really need it. :-P)

Did you think I flipped too far away from the wall? That's what my kid just told me.
    My FAVORITE part of the 50 Fly clip is when you look at the chick next to you! Just like a little 7 year old

As our great MVN age-group swim guru says, "bottom has to be the top when you set for the dive".

I ALWAYS have to think of that on the blocks...

FORT - you so are freekin strong & fast!
    Amazing......!
    Did you think I flipped too far away from the wall?
    I counted 3 strokes...and the last one was a hard drive into the tuck position. It didn't look as if there was any hang time even though you may have had room for another stroke. The legs and feet were planted solid, and not too far out (in a pike position).

That said...if you did take a fourth, it may have taken you too close into the flip, and caused a jammed foot plant.

Your current strategy of charging the wall looks very correct. We have a backstroke phenom on our girls high school team. And in lieu of the extra stroke, she's been taught to make the last really count. It eliminated any tentativeness as she makes her way into the tuck.

You're definitely capable of a very fast 100 back. It's time to think of it as a 50 yard back combined with a 50 yard kick. You've got to be one of the best underwater kickers in master swimming.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast