View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Run + Swim

Rate this Entry
by , October 26th, 2009 at 09:25 PM (927 Views)
Went for a 5 mile run late in the morning. Felt better than last week - went at an 8:28 per mile pace. The run has a mix of various terrain - hills, trails, roads, etc. Makes for a good workout.

Hit the pool later this afternoon for a swim. Am gearing up to be a sprinter again, so did lots of fin work for a 2,000 yard workout. Last set was as follows:

4 x 75 dolphin kick on back with fins on 1:00

Not a problem making the set, but definitely not as fast as I usually go. Wonder if the 5 mile run I did today had anything to do with going slower.

Submit "Run + Swim" to Digg Submit "Run + Swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Run + Swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Run + Swim" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. The Fortress's Avatar
    You were moving a little faster than me today.

    What did you hold on your 75s? That's not that much rest for a sprint set. Uh, yeah, the run made a difference!
  2. aztimm's Avatar
    Running before swimming same day makes a HUGE difference. Over summer, I was running mornings, then working, then swim after work...had some major cramping issues, especially with kick sets.

    Sounds like a great workout, and that's a nice pace for that run too!
  3. elise526's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You were moving a little faster than me today.

    What did you hold on your 75s? That's not that much rest for a sprint set. Uh, yeah, the run made a difference!
    Thanks, Fort. Starting to feel a little better.

    On the 75s, I was getting 5 seconds rest. Usually get 10 to 12 seconds rest when I'm in good swimming shape.

    I almost started not to swim today, but I'm thinking that I may squeeze in my swims earlier this week. If I run a 5k this weekend, I'll need all the rest I can get!
  4. elise526's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Running before swimming same day makes a HUGE difference. Over summer, I was running mornings, then working, then swim after work...had some major cramping issues, especially with kick sets.

    Sounds like a great workout, and that's a nice pace for that run too!
    Thanks, aztimm!

    I sure have had my share of leg cramping this fall! Trying to get better about my post-run hydration and my hydration during swim workouts. Even starting to down Gatorades when I'm in rest mode.

    The running has been really good for leaning me up. I feel like I'm moving much better through the water as a result.
  5. Bobinator's Avatar
    I definitely think running before swimming tires you out and slows you down.
    I always prefer running after I swim. It feels like it shakes the kinks out and makes me happy!
  6. elise526's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I definitely think running before swimming tires you out and slows you down.
    I always prefer running after I swim. It feels like it shakes the kinks out and makes me happy!
    Every once in a blue moon, I'll feel like running after a swim. Most of the time, I feel like I've been hit by a truck. How I ever did triathlons is beyond me! Must have gone while the adrenaline was surging!