View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Dryland + Allen Stark Set, Wed., Oct. 28

Rate this Entry
AM Dryland:

Did mostly plyos and core today as my back was sore from yesterday's lifting efforts.

Weights/Plyos:

lying triceps extension w/30 lb BB, 30 x 3 x 15
standing full twist w/35 lb plate, 3 x 25
squat presses w/15 lb DBs, 3 x 15
lunges w/25 lb DBs, 3 x 15
chin ups, 2 x 10
knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
rock star jumps, 2 x 10
squat jacks w/med ball on step, 3 x 15
swing kicks, 2 x 25
double airborne heisman, 2 x 1:00*

Core:

crunches on yoga ball, 2 x 25
hanging straight leg raises, 2 x 15
prone jack knife on yoga ball, 1 x 15
(don't like this one)
crunch + hold legs and head in streamline above ground for 5 seconds, 2 x 10
dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
romanian crunches, 3 x 25**

* DAH = http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sa=N&tab=wv#

**We don't have the correct bench or device to do these the easy way. So I sat across a bench, put 2 25s lb plates on my feet and did them. Tried to get my head as low to the ground as it would go. These are a good core exercise, but I don't recommend them for anyone with a sketchy lower back. Here's a video of someone doing them this way: http://www.sixpackabsexercises.com/b...es-on-video/42. He's obviously a male weenie since he can't lean back very far.


PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick drill

Ugh, at this point, I felt like I needed another recovery workout. So I tried an aerobic kick set to attempt to shake the torpor off.

Aerobic Kick:

10 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:30
8 SDKs each 25

50 EZ

Allen Stark Speed Set:

Allen has mentioned doing fast 50s @ 1:00 to failure on the forum. I asked him about it and he said:

The Swimming Fastest book gave several options for lactic acid tolerance sets and that one seemed doable. (I do them as BR pull dolphin kick with fins so my body doesn't get too confused about bad form. The fins also decrease shoulder strain.) The idea is to build up the lactic acid buffer systems so that you don't slow down at the end of a 50 and especially a 100.

So I decided to do 10 attempting to hold a perceived 100 race pace effort. I went slightly slower than a real 100 pace, as I was so tired from the drylands and swimming in shallower water than normal. Ideally, I'd like to do this set a second faster. And, when I asked Allen later, he said he usually does 6-8 -- not 10 --and is tired the next day.

10 x 50 back w/fins @ 1:00
went 27.5ish on all of them

100 EZ

Recovery set:

8 x 50 back/breast @ 1:00

50 EZ

Speed Set:

3 x (3 x 25 AFAP + 25 EZ) on interval whatevah

#1 = fast UW flutter kick shooter
#2 = fast flutter kick in streamline
#3 = fast free

100 EZ

Total: 3400

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Feeling rather dead after the last two days. Only doing one workout tomorrow with Speedo and I hope I survive it! Then, drylands and hot yoga on Friday. Or at least that's the plan. There is a 4 day weekend coming off with the first quarter of school ending. I hate these!

Power Wheel:

I ordered a power wheel today. Not the ab roller, but the power wheel. So I have another toy to take to the gym. Toys Are Me.

http://www.performbetter.com/detail....861_A_rnd_E_23

Submit "Dryland + Allen Stark Set, Wed., Oct. 28" to Digg Submit "Dryland + Allen Stark Set, Wed., Oct. 28" to del.icio.us Submit "Dryland + Allen Stark Set, Wed., Oct. 28" to StumbleUpon Submit "Dryland + Allen Stark Set, Wed., Oct. 28" to Google

Updated October 28th, 2009 at 08:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Test Sets

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Tough set. I am not at all sure I can maintain 100 goal race-pace for 50s on the 1:00. In fact, I'm pretty sure I cannot, certainly not for 10.

    Just to be clear, I usually take "race pace" to mean "goal for the second 50 of the 100" (or 2nd 100 of the 200).

    Going by your 100 back time last year of 1:02.8, that should be 32-flat for you. (For a well-split 100-ack, you shouldn't have a huge difference in 50s, because you don't get as much from the start as with a dive and because your 1st 50 is a foot-touch split.)

    Of course, using fins skews everything... . But 27-mid seems pretty darn fast.
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Thanks Chris! . I was thinking of the second 50 in the 100 and, as you say, my splits are usually fairly even in my 100 back.

    I think that currently, on backstroke, fins give me about 6 seconds per 50. So mid-27 translates to mid-33, which is about a second slower than you say I should be going and what I thought I should be going.

    Definitely can't go this fast for 10. Next time, I'll take Allen's advice and do 6-8. Or do them on 3:00.
  3. The Fortress's Avatar
    As I think about it more, a 32.0 would be a tech suit goal time. I couldn't replicate that in a poly tank.

    Also, FYI, my very fastest 50 w/fins = 24.
  4. JimRude's Avatar
    That 50 set is interesting. I usually do 5-6x 50 on 2:00 AFAP from a push. There is no way I could do anywhere near 10 of them on 1:00 coming close to 100 pace. I would also define 100 pace as my target 2nd 50 of a 100.

    To give you a real world example, I usually hold average 30+ or 31 on the 50s on 2:00. If I did them on 1:00 I could probably hold 34s on 5 or 6 and then LIGHTS OUT.

    And my goal 2nd 50 of a 100 is 29...
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimRude
    That 50 set is interesting. I usually do 5-6x 50 on 2:00 AFAP from a push. There is no way I could do anywhere near 10 of them on 1:00 coming close to 100 pace. I would also define 100 pace as my target 2nd 50 of a 100.

    To give you a real world example, I usually hold average 30+ or 31 on the 50s on 2:00. If I did them on 1:00 I could probably hold 34s on 5 or 6 and then LIGHTS OUT.

    And my goal 2nd 50 of a 100 is 29...
    I usually do 6 x 50 @ 3:00. But I guess this set has a slightly different purpose (lactate buffering) according to Allen than the traditional race pace set. I just sort of turned it into a race pace set.

    Allen says if I can't lift my arms tomorrow, I did too many. lol.
    Updated October 28th, 2009 at 08:32 PM by The Fortress
  6. tjrpatt's Avatar
    that is a good price for a power wheel. They must work or Ciehlo wouldn't have swam so fast at Worlds that it made him cry. On the leg part, they seem to be useful in simulating the flutter kick.
  7. qbrain's Avatar
    DAH: Did you look... like an idiot when you did them?

    sixpackabexercieses.com: Totally signed up for six pack abs.

    50s: I wonder if you did them AFAP on 1:00, if you would fail to make a 50 on a minute before puking.

    Feeling rather dead after the last two days.
    You workout a lot. I am trying that, and all I want to do is eat and sleep.

    How is the hot yoga going? Do you want to be a size 0 now? I am assuming you are a size 2 because of your derogatory comments about CP

    You should come out with your own workout series a la P90, and I get a free copy because I came up with the name for the series.
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    that is a good price for a power wheel. They must work or Ciehlo wouldn't have swam so fast at Worlds that it made him cry. On the leg part, they seem to be useful in simulating the flutter kick.
    And then they get you on shipping! I didn't like the little ab wheel as much when I trained that long ago. I'm ready to give it the bigger model a whirl more often.

    Did you see the comment Ahelee made on the "new event" thread about the USA coach urging her to do power wheel? (No, Q, that's not why I bought it. :-P I've been meaning to get one forever and I did my internet purchasing errands today.)
  9. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Did you see the comment Ahelee made on the "new event" thread about the USA coach urging her to do power wheel? (No, Q, that's not why I bought it. :-P I've been meaning to get one forever and I did my internet purchasing errands today.)
    No puppet, I didn't see that

    That is cool, I finally ordered and got my tempo trainer and waterproof video camera. Like you, when I finally ordered them, I had a long queue of stuff to order.
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    DAH: Did you look... like an idiot when you did them?

    sixpackabexercieses.com: Totally signed up for six pack abs.

    You workout a lot. I am trying that, and all I want to do is eat and sleep.

    How is the hot yoga going? Do you want to be a size 0 now? I am assuming you are a size 2 because of your derogatory comments about CP

    You should come out with your own workout series a la P90, and I get a free copy because I came up with the name for the series.
    I was in a small room so not that many people witnessed me looking like an idiot. I'm not sure this plyo really does much besides burn calories. It felt too easy. I suspect on the PX90 vids that they use this plyo between more difficult ones as a relative rest.

    I think "less is more" only works in the pool. There is no need for garbage yards (though you need some recovery workouts). Otherwise, it seems to me, based on how I understand people are training, that "more is more." If you are stronger, faster, have better technique or more flexibility than the competition, you'll do better. The way to get these things, absent ridiculous genetic gifts, is to work out.

    I didn't do hot yoga last week before the meet. I probably should have one day. I think it only helps with weight loss, though, if you do it 3+ x week. That ain't happening. And even She Puff is going to give it up for lack of time.

    My days of being a size 2 runner seem to be over. I think I'm almost 10 pounds more than during my skinny/no lifting period. (It could be somewhat age related sadly too, I guess.) She Puff is now down to a size 0, but she says it's not her best swimming weight. I don't aspire to that level of skinniness; I'd be happy losing a couple pounds though I seem to be holding at a muscle-y size 4. But doubt that will happen without more aerobic work.
    Updated October 28th, 2009 at 10:04 PM by The Fortress
  11. The Fortress's Avatar
    Oh, and in the last year+ since I started my arduous drylands and even more sprinting, I've been beat and tired a large % of the time. I'm even sleeping better now, and I'm still tired. I think that's one reason I've been sleeping in much more on the weekends and whenever I can. The weight training really takes it out of me ... That's one reason I might "pause" for a few months.

    And, I want to eat too! That's why I was grilling you about KPN. Not eating seems un-doable, though I can see grazing more.
    Updated October 28th, 2009 at 10:05 PM by The Fortress
  12. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I was in a small room so not that many people witnessed me looking like an idiot. I'm not sure this plyo really does much besides burn calories. It felt too easy. I suspect on the PX90 vids that they use this plyo between more difficult ones as a relative rest.

    I think "less is more" only works in the pool. There is no need for garbage yards (though you need some recovery workouts). Otherwise, it seems to me, based on how I understand people are training, that "more is more." If you are stronger, faster, have better technique or more flexibility than the competition, you'll do better. The way to get these things, absent ridiculous genetic gifts, is to work out.
    I will have to watch the P90X plyo video. I don't see how the double heisman would be considered plyo tho, so your break theory sounds good.

    Here is my theory. Less is more works for strength/sprint training. More is more works for endurance/weight loss/skill.
  13. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Oh, and in the last year+ since I started my arduous drylands and even more sprinting, I've been beat and tired a large % of the time. I'm even sleeping better now, and I'm still tired. I think that's one reason I've been sleeping in much more on the weekends and whenever I can. The weight training really takes it out of me ... That's one reason I might "pause" for a few months.

    And, I want to eat too! That's why I was grilling you about KPN. Not eating seems un-doable, though I can see grazing more.
    Speaking of sleeping. I have been having a glass of wine a night, and having no problem falling asleep. I attribute this to working out twice a day, and not getting enough sleep.

    Grazing probably isn't the right way to think of it. If you plan 5 meals a day, is it grazing? In the 4.5 hours I was with KPN, I saw her eat a banana, I didn't see her walking around eating a few nuts every 15 minutes.
  14. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Here is my theory. Less is more works for strength/sprint training. More is more works for endurance/weight loss/skill.
    Probably right in theory. However, I feel like I'm doing quite a lot with the weights, plyos, sprinting. And I should be stretching more. I'm already looking forward to the hot tub today ... So this feels like more even though it's supposed to be "less." Or maybe I really should be doing less?
  15. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Speaking of sleeping. I have been having a glass of wine a night, and having no problem falling asleep. I attribute this to working out twice a day, and not getting enough sleep.

    Grazing probably isn't the right way to think of it. If you plan 5 meals a day, is it grazing? In the 4.5 hours I was with KPN, I saw her eat a banana, I didn't see her walking around eating a few nuts every 15 minutes.
    I have no problem with 1 glass either. And, like Geek, I think of it as my "treat" at the end of the day. However, if it's 2+, then I notice it more.

    I think I'm already sort of on the 5 meals a day plan, though I tend to eat a real dinner as I am feeding my family. My husband refers to me as a grazer. But I don't eat every 15 minutes and I don't eat nuts. I wish I could embrace nuts, but they just don't rock my world.
  16. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I have no problem with 1 glass either. And, like Geek, I think of it as my "treat" at the end of the day. However, if it's 2+, then I notice it more.

    I think I'm already sort of on the 5 meals a day plan, though I tend to eat a real dinner as I am feeding my family. My husband refers to me as a grazer. But I don't eat every 15 minutes and I don't eat nuts. I wish I could embrace nuts, but they just don't rock my world.
    Good point, I have been very controlled about my 1 glass a night.

    I have increased my calories at dinner to deal with my extra hunger from the increased workouts, and this is probably the wrong way to do it. I am about ready to cancel dinner and live off shakes. Meal prep is a PITA.
  17. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I have increased my calories at dinner to deal with my extra hunger from the increased workouts, and this is probably the wrong way to do it. I am about ready to cancel dinner and live off shakes. Meal prep is a PITA.
    No kidding. I used to love to cook, and now it's just one big PITA.

    I likewise seem to take in more calories the second half of the day than the first half. And I graze at night because I get hungry after dinner. It would definitely be wiser to not eat after 7:00 pm.

    Slim fast for everyone!
  18. aquageek's Avatar
    That Power Wheel looks to be an ab-busting machine.
  19. 's Avatar
    50's on a minute until failure sounds hard. But what constitutes failure? Throwing up? Or just missing your target pace?
  20. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    That Power Wheel looks to be an ab-busting machine.
    I've used it once before and it is! Though I haven't used the foot pedals yet ... And if it's good enough for Caesar Cielo, it's good enough for me!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast