View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

Video and Paul's Challenge

Rate this Entry
Three things today, today's workout, Paul's challenge and a short head on video of my new stroke.

11/1 Workout SCM
Warm up
200 swim
200 kick
200 paddles
200 back
200 drill
Main Set
Quicksilver limbo set: 5x100 on 1:30 then drop 5 seconds and repeat until failure
5x100 1:30 held ~1:20
5x100 1:25 held ~1:20
1x100 1:20 went 1:20, considered this a fail

400 kick with fins
5x100 1:40 hold 1:15 or better
Warm down
500 back

Paul's Challenge
4x300 on 4:00
5x200 on 2:40
6x100 on 1:20

If Paul will concede that 1:20 scy is the same as 1:30 scm, I will do the challenge next Sunday. I will be a great recovery workout after my meet I actually think I am misunderstanding Paul.

New stroke video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEm-L7vYnlo"]YouTube - Wide entry stroke[/ame]

The video camera is new, and that was the first time we used. I think future videos will be better when we start figuring out the angles (stand on deck maybe?), and zoom. I was very happy with the quality of the video, because Lifetimes indoor pool seems dark to me, but the video came out nice and bright.

It is a Sanyo VPC-E2 is anyone is interested in a water friendly video camera.

Submit "Video and Paul's Challenge" to Digg Submit "Video and Paul's Challenge" to del.icio.us Submit "Video and Paul's Challenge" to StumbleUpon Submit "Video and Paul's Challenge" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. The Fortress's Avatar
    Paul won't give you 1:30 ...

    Nice wide stroke free. But no kick, dude.
  2. pwolf66's Avatar
    Sure, I'll give 1:30. It's more like 1:29 but I won't force that on you. But that set is a straight thru swim. No breaks between distance changes. No fins, no paddles. No BREAKS.
    So just to help you out (assuming you start at 0:00 in scm)
    0:00 - 300
    4:30 - 300
    9:00 - 300
    13:30 - 300
    18:00 - 200
    21:00 - 200
    24:00 - 200
    27:00 - 200
    30:00 - 200
    33:00 - 100
    34:30 - 100
    36:00 - 100
    37:30 - 100
    39:00 - 100
    40:30 - 100

    Total about 42 minutes and 2800scm
  3. pwolf66's Avatar
    Looks like you pick up your forehead up to intiate your breath. Try to just rotate your head. Also, you have a nice starting position for your stroke but it looks like you outsweep your hand instead of anchoring the hand pulling straight back.
    Updated November 1st, 2009 at 06:14 PM by pwolf66
  4. Ahelee Sue Osborn's Avatar
    Is this "finger tip drag" drill?
  5. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Paul won't give you 1:30 ...

    Nice wide stroke free. But no kick, dude.
    Oh yeah, I am supposed to kick, aren't I.
  6. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Sure, I'll give 1:30. It's more like 1:29 but I won't force that on you. But that set is a straight thru swim. No breaks between distance changes. No fins, no paddles. No BREAKS.
    So just to help you out (assuming you start at 0:00 in scm)
    0:00 - 300
    4:30 - 300
    9:00 - 300
    13:30 - 300
    18:00 - 200
    21:00 - 200
    24:00 - 200
    27:00 - 200
    30:00 - 200
    33:00 - 100
    34:30 - 100
    36:00 - 100
    37:30 - 100
    39:00 - 100
    40:30 - 100

    Total about 42 minutes and 2800scm
    Got it, no breaks. Challenge accepted.
  7. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn
    Is this "finger tip drag" drill?
    LOL, meanie. I thought my stroke looked really lazy. The video was after 3500M, and I had two shots in each arm yesterday afternoon, but still. Looked sloppy to me, so thanks for calling me out on it.
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Sure, I'll give 1:30. It's more like 1:29 but I won't force that on you.
    I thought you were going to give him 1:27 or 1:28 ...
  9. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Sure, I'll give 1:30. It's more like 1:29 but I won't force that on you.
    Done. Gymboss is setup for 28 intervals a 1:28. That is what it is for. Fresh ziploc, so no fear of it getting wet and dying in the middle of the set.

    Lazy wife is going to do it on 1:30, and I think she will be able to do it too.
  10. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Looks like you pick up your forehead up to intiate your breath. Try to just rotate your head. Also, you have a nice starting position for your stroke but it looks like you outsweep your hand instead of anchoring the hand pulling straight back.
    Since you mentioned this, I have been working on just rotating my head to the side to breath without arching my neck first.

    The outsweep requires just trying to break a very ingrained habit. I have been, am, and will be working on that for a while before my pull is truly straight.
  11. Speedo's Avatar
    Very nice wide stroke, Q. reminds me of Tyler Blessing's freestyle- he sort of swims with swinging shoulders too, or "rocks the cradle." He's in the bodysuit in lane 5 here, but notice though he's got a very strong kick: http://www.floswimming.org/videos/sw...e-final-h34-d2

    It would be great to get some other vantage points on video- I'm not great at analyzing strokes, but Paul, Fort and others are. Looking good!
  12. qbrain's Avatar
    Thanks Speedo. I think I still have work to do on my kick

    I will get some better footage at the next USMS meet for Fort and Paul to tear apart.

    The Tyler comment is funny. I am now a Tyler poser, I have the look, but not the speed It was a very nice compliment.
  13. quicksilver's Avatar
    Nice job. Your stroke looks smooth by the way. The advantage to that wide stroke seems to be the torso connection to ones arms.
    It's almost as if the arm is just a pivot point for one to crawl past...as a soldier does when crawling on their stomach.

    Fortress is right, where's your kick? Or is does the spa frown on splashing?

    Even a slight kick promotes more reach on the entry. I think it may even get more shoulder rotation which will make you sleeker in the water rather than swimming flat. That's an important thing to avoid. Swimming too flat. You may have seen this already, but she takes wide tracks with her arms, but there's a very apparent rotation. Take a look at around 3:25, they talk about kick and rotation. It's a great video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbMIId4imh4&NR=1"]YouTube - Swim Fast - Freestyle with Lindsay Benko [ 6/2 Beat Kick


    Regarding that set....You could also try descending blocks of 3....as follows....1:30, 1:25, 1:20 and repeat that 5 times.

    If given a choice of 1:25, 1:20, 1:15...or 1:20's straight...It's easier to make the first option than the second.
    The alternating groups of 3 gives you a fighting chance to make the interval by getting an easier interval every 3rd one.
  14. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Nice job. Your stroke looks smooth by the way. The advantage to that wide stroke seems to be the torso connection to ones arms.
    It's almost as if the arm is just a pivot point for one to crawl past...as a soldier does when crawling on their stomach.

    Fortress is right, where's your kick? Or is does the spa frown on splashing?

    Even a slight kick promotes more reach on the entry. I think it may even get more shoulder rotation which will make you sleeker in the water rather than swimming flat. That's an important thing to avoid. Swimming too flat. You may have seen this already, but she takes wide tracks with her arms, but there's a very apparent rotation. Take a look at around 3:25, they talk about kick and rotation. It's a great video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbMIId4imh4&NR=1"]YouTube - Swim Fast - Freestyle with Lindsay Benko [ 6/2 Beat Kick


    Regarding that set....You could also try descending blocks of 3....as follows....1:30, 1:25, 1:20 and repeat that 5 times.

    If given a choice of 1:25, 1:20, 1:15...or 1:20's straight...It's easier to make the first option than the second.
    The alternating groups of 3 gives you a fighting chance to make the interval by getting an easier interval every 3rd one.
    When I changed my stroke, my kick went into hiding I will post what I did today to work on that.

    Giving myself a fighting chance just seems too easy I will try your suggested set.

    I do like my new stroke. It was feeling really good, now it feels like it is falling apart, but I think I am just mastering the basics enough that I am starting to get a feel for all the faults I have to correct. Getting the pull kick back in sync is a rather big deal.