View RSS Feed

Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!

Bleak Week :(

Rate this Entry
by , November 1st, 2009 at 05:20 PM (274 Views)
I had a bleak week. I don't know why and that's okay. I don't mind feeling my emotions. I've convinced myself I'm an actress and when I go to work I am portraying a perky, fit, wacky, non-stop, un-flappable, loving, kind, and strict teacher. It works for me and gets me through the week, day-by-day and hour-by-hour. After school from Weds-Fri I just went home and slept. I think I am preparing myself for the empty nest syndrome. My youngest of 3 is finishing up her senior year and moving to Fla in January 2 to start college. (she wants to be a nurse but she is currently in cadet teaching and loves it!)
I went ahead and did the 2 day meet at the nat.
A really poor turnout of people. I bet there were more out of state competitors than Indiana swimmers. WEIRD!
My swimming went okay. I have never done the 200 Back before.....I liked it. I'm going to start working a bit more toward it. The biggest problem was I forgot the flags were different for scm. That's okay, I just wanted a place to start and the only way I can now go it UP!
Due to the small turnout I scratched one event each day. I was signed up for 5 per day. If I didn't start out with the 800 on Sat and the 1500 on Sun I might have been okay but both those events coupled with back-to-back events wears me out. On Sunday I considered anything after the 1500 my workout.

Hey, what about Meb winning the NYC Marathon!
It was a tactical, slow race but sure great to see the "USA" singlet cross the line first!
I'm not going to get going here because lack of running makes me sad.
NYC is my all-time favortie marathon! The first time I did it I kept re-living "Cagney and Lacey" episodes! Whoops..........gotta go someone at the door!

Submit "Bleak Week :(" to Digg Submit "Bleak Week :(" to del.icio.us Submit "Bleak Week :(" to StumbleUpon Submit "Bleak Week :(" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Empty nest syndrome sounds hard. Even people that are ready for more freedom, suffer from it. It's creeping me out that we're looking at colleges and my son is going to take the SAT soon ....

Not many people in Indy?!?! Really? I was thinking of going to that meet next year maybe, but I don't want to attend what could be a taper meet with a low turnout.
    I guess that the Indiana people are still worn out from Nationals! .
    Yes I think Nationals might have had something to do with it.
    It was a fun meet anyway. A real "serious" swimmers meet. Only the "hard-core" and a few flim-flams like me there!
    I would guess the numbers will be back up next year.
    I would encourage you to go to Louisville, or better yet Chicago. Great pools, great swimmers, great towns, and as always FUN!
    Oh......the empty nest thing. I kind of feel like I've lost my sense of purpose. We work hard at our jobs, stay healthy, become involved, keep sane all so we can be good parents/good role models for our offspring. Why am I doing all this stuff if my 3 offspring have sprung away?
    I think that's why you shouldn't internalize any role you play in society. I'll let you know how my de-programming goes.
    I think it might be a different phenomenon at work.

As a student of melancholia, I have come to conclude that there is always a reason ready to explain a low mood. But the ability of the rational mind to pin the blame on an external event does not necessarily mean that the rational mind is right.

In my own case, there is some correspondence between outside event and inside mood. But there have been so many times when the outside event is bad and the inside mood is good, and vice versa, that I am now convinced it is not always exactly congruent.

Still, whatever ones dominant explanation for misery might be, the yoyo seldom strays far and always returns.

So. Babbling here, I know. But I think that it's possible that the fear of the empty nest syndrome is partly the cause, but it could also be partly just the explanation.

This is a time of the year when the light dims and the weather deteriorates and the long siege of gray is upon us once more.

Another explanation, perhaps. But.

The good news is that life is vicissitudinal. Your wave will crest again, offering a different view of things, providing a new "reason" for why you have become happy once more.

Good luck.

Your fellow traveler.
    Good points jimby. I will have to wik the word vicissitudinal to be sure I understand what you are saying but I think I got most of it.
    I think the important thing is to understand there is an ebb and tide to our moods. Life is a series of adaptations/adjustments rendered to successfully complete or accomplish whatever is on our plates at any given time.
    Sometimes I get caught up in the idea that someday it will all come together and be perfect, easy, effortless, and joyfull.
    I think I just described heaven but I don't want to go there yet!