View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sunday, Nov. 1

Rate this Entry
I had a bit too much fun at my Halloween party last night. Did not even consider setting my alarm clock for the team practice this am. I think half the team was doing the postal 3K anyway. After administering copious amounts of caffeine, I dragged myself off to the Rec Center this afternoon. I wasn't inspired to do any speed work; I fancied some endurance kicking. Rather than do my/CS's kick mountain set, I did another little garden variety set.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 variety

Kick Endurance Set:

with fins, no rest between sets

4 x 300 @ 4:00
5 x 200 @ 2:40
6 x 100 @ 1:20

300s = backstroke kick w/6 SDK per 25, fartlek style
200s = dolphin w/board/flutter w/board/backstroke kick/flutter kick w/board/dolphin kick w/board (held around 2:20ish)
100s = backstroke kick w/8 SDK per 25. Tried to negative split these, but I was getting a bit tired so don't think I did on the last couple. Started out around 1:05, but was up to 1:10 on the last 2.

150 C/D

Total: 3550, 3000 kicking

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Son definitely has swine flu. I anticipate it ripping through the whole family. Lucky for Mr. Fort he left early this am for a trial.

I think my legs will be a wee bit tired tonight.

Talked to a guy at the party last night who did P90X quite a bit last year and got very ripped. He said the plyo video is just a sh*tload of squats.

Submit "Sunday, Nov. 1" to Digg Submit "Sunday, Nov. 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, Nov. 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, Nov. 1" to Google

Updated November 1st, 2009 at 05:57 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I'm in awe. That's just.....well.....
    LMAO
    hahaha

I knew I wanted to get a kick workout in. And, after Patrick said I would NEVER do that set, I just couldn't resist.
    I shoulda known she would be able to KICK IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn
    I shoulda known she would be able to KICK IT!
    You know what Tall Paul says ... kick workouts pay off big time at the end of the season!
    Fort, have to break my lurker status for this one. Nice set...kept me laughing for quite some time.
    Is it really true kicking burns more calories than swimming? Is that with fins or not? Does it matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medicine Woman
    Fort, have to break my lurker status for this one. Nice set...kept me laughing for quite some time.
    Excellent! Love to get people smiling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Is it really true kicking burns more calories than swimming? Is that with fins or not? Does it matter.
    My understanding is that kicking burns more calories b/c you're using such big muscles. But it depends on the effort you're putting into the endeavor. If you're just doing a social/slow kick, that's not much good.

Fins are especially good for lactate kicking or a long endurance set like the one I did today. It's almost like adding weights. But you don't need fins to burn tons of calories with kicking. Kicking is plenty hard with bare feet too.

And most people would get sore knees or ankles doing a kick set like I did today. I've been doing a lot of kicking and kicking with fins for a couple years, and my body is used to it. But you have to build up to it. And I've never, knock on wood, had a knee issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    If you're just doing a social/slow kick, that's not much good.
    Social interaction requires significant cognitive resources. And we know the brain is a major consumer of energy in the body. Based on that, social kick is obviously the best calorie burner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Social interaction requires significant cognitive resources. And we know the brain is a major consumer of energy in the body. Based on that, social kick is obviously the best calorie burner.
    One can always socialize in the hot tub.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    One can always socialize in the hot tub.
    And we know that hot yoga burns 10k calories an hour, and the hot tub is HOT. Thus, maximum calorie burning would occur during a stimulating conversation in the hot tub.