View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Drylands + TTs, Mon., Nov. 2

Rate this Entry
Drylands:

With all the kids home today, I was lucky to eek out an hour at the gym. Forgot my gloves again. Damn. Legs are sore tonight.

10 minute warm up on bike

bicycles, 1 x 100
broomstick twists, 1 x 25
hanging knee tucks, 2 x 20
side bends w/45 lb bar, 2 x 15
dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
romanian crunches, 2 x 25

overhead squats w/45 lb bar, 1 x 15
(felt a twinge in the right quad starting a second set -- probably from the plyos -- so stopped)
kneeling cable crunch, 80 x 1 x 10, 85 x 2 x 10
seated narrow grip row, 110 x 2 x 8
pec fly, 100 x 2 x 10

rock star jumps, 2 x 10
triple box bunny hops, 1 x 15
lateral box hops over bench w/hands on middle of bench, 3 x 25
med ball start plyos w/2 6 lb med balls, 1 x 10
twisting med ball slam, 3 x 15

prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
scapular wall slides, 2 x 25

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LCM Prelim Top Ten

Had a bit of a panic attack when I looked at the prelim TT list today and saw that my 200 back and 100 fly from USA meets were omitted. My times going AWOL has been a friggin epidemic this last year ... I sent emails to the ABM coach, the IL TT chair and Mary Beth Windrath. The TT recorder just screwed up (admittedly) and failed to submit them. He is submitting corrections. (I know it's a tough thankless job, but this would never have happened with Jeff Roddin in charge.) And I sent the results links to MBW. So hopefully, they will be included in the final results. Those are my two hardest LC events, for god's sake! And I was without my trusty B70 for the 200 back and debuting this event in front of the kids!

Here's a comparison of 2008 and 2009 times and rankings (assuming corrections are made):

2008:

50 back, 3rd, 33.44
100 back, 3rd, 1:13.48
50 fly, 4th, 31.13
100 fly, 8th, 1:14.46
50 free, 6th, 29.39

2009:

50 back, 1st, 31.99
100 back, 4th, 1:14.62
200 back, 8th, 2:47.34
50 fly, 3rd, 29.74
100 fly, 5th, 1:12.52
50 free, 4th, 28.51

I was super thrilled to get my first individual AA ranking. I'm hopeful that time will hold up in the FINA rankings.

Also very happy on the LCM relay front! Our fast chicks' 200 free relay from Indy was AA. My my one and only relay with dearest Jimby -- 200-239 mixed 200 free relay-- was #2! And my 200-239 mixed 200 medley relay was 4th. My relay mates rock!

On the whole, I improved almost across the board. Straight up B70 comparisons, except for the Jaked in the 50 fly this year. (My other Jaked swims were slower than my B70 swims. I think the suit is cursed or a fake. lol) The only event that was a disappointment was my 100 back from Nats where I had the double calf cramps on the start. Still very very pleased! The drops in the 50s seem very significant to me.

Random thought:

It crossed my mind today that, if I change my training away from the heavier weights in Dec. as I planned, I won't have a good "apples to apples" basis for comparison of my times from this year (tech suit clad) to next year (practically nekked).

Submit "Drylands + TTs, Mon., Nov. 2" to Digg Submit "Drylands + TTs, Mon., Nov. 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Drylands + TTs, Mon., Nov. 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Drylands + TTs, Mon., Nov. 2" to Google

Updated November 2nd, 2009 at 11:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

Hi Fort!
    Congrats on your outstanding time rankings! I hope they get the 2 missed ones on soon!
    It looks like your comprehensive strength program is really paying off in the speed events! You are a very hard working sprinter, don't ever tell your self otherwise!
    Is AA a USA swim thing or a master's ranking thing? I've never heard of it other than in USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Hi Fort!
    Congrats on your outstanding time rankings! I hope they get the 2 missed ones on soon!
    It looks like your comprehensive strength program is really paying off in the speed events! You are a very hard working sprinter, don't ever tell your self otherwise!
    Is AA a USA swim thing or a master's ranking thing? I've never heard of it other than in USA.
    Thanks, Bob! I think one of your relays did very well too, no?

AA = All American or #1 ranking. It's a masters thing.

With KPN in my age group, I feared it would never happen. But I finally got her!
    Congratulations!

I would agree, those time drops in the 50's are quite significant.
    Leslie, your magnificence is quite simply magnificently magnifique!

Thanks for pulling your drone-like man-child son from Pittsburgh to his own personal best ever performance in the History Books of Recorded Swimming!

I'm No. 2! I'm No. 2!

Wait, that doesn't sound so good.

I'm Second Place! I'm Second Place!

Now, that's more like it. Thanks, Leslie!
    Very nice on the AA ranking. You totally earned it with your hard work. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    Congratulations!

I would agree, those time drops in the 50's are quite significant.
    Thanks!

Seemed that way to me as well. Unless Indy is just that much faster than the U of Md ... I'll likely never replicate that kind of drop, so I'll enjoy it now. And, in fairness, my 2008 50 free was not a true taper time as I swam it on short rest at a USA meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton

Thanks for pulling your drone-like man-child son from Pittsburgh to his own personal best ever performance in the History Books of Recorded Swimming!

I'm No. 2! I'm No. 2!

Wait, that doesn't sound so good.

I'm Second Place! I'm Second Place!

Now, that's more like it. Thanks, Leslie!
    Thank YOU, magnificent Jimby! No one swims relays alone. May we replicate this feat again some day.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Very nice on the AA ranking. You totally earned it with your hard work. Bravo!
    Thanks, Tom. I feel like I worked my ass off. But all the fast chicks in my age group do too! So I'm not at all unique that way. The competition is pretty daunting.
    Hmmmm, I didn't think to look in the relays!
    Eureeeeka, we're #4!
    That's my first tt listing ever! I love relays!
    Thanks for pointing this out Fort!
    Very Impressive...Congrats!!
    Congrats on your TT and AA status! Your hard work continues to pay off.

When the suit ban goes into effect, which suit are you going to wear?
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    When the suit ban goes into effect, which suit are you going to wear?
    I bought a TYR Tracer Lite recordbreaker back kneeskin awhile ago for USA meets. So if USMS adopts the same rules, I'll wear that. Or I'll likely try one of the new B70 suits that are supposed to arrive soon. But I won't buy anything else until FINA issues its statement in mid-June.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Hmmmm, I didn't think to look in the relays!
    Eureeeeka, we're #4!
    That's my first tt listing ever! I love relays!
    Thanks for pointing this out Fort!
    Awesome! I love relays too!