View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Hard! Wed., Nov. 4

Rate this Entry
AM: Hot Yoga:

Went to the 10:00 am hot yoga class. Didn't suffer quite as much and didn't need quite as much water as usual. Didn't even have to dump water on top of my head during the last 15 minutes.

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Today, I used the structure of one of Ande's sprint workouts from awhile ago. (I have a note on FB in which I collect sprint oriented workouts I like.) But instead of doing the 15 100s in the set as increasing fast freestyle, I did them as increasingly hard backstroke SDK without fins. This was to serve the dual purpose of implementing Quick's advice (treat the 100 back as 50 swim/50 kick) and Chris' advice to do longer quality hypoxic sets sans fins. This was NOT easy. It took some will power to get through it, but I think it was worthwhile. This CO2 tolerance set was definitely harder than my endurance kick set from Nov. 1.

Anyway, here's how it went:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Main set: Hypoxic Kick + Sprints:

5 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:00 (no fins)
SDKs = 12, 10, 10, 10 by 25

50 EZ

8 x 25 easy speed fly w/fins @ 75% @ :35

4 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:15 (no fins)
SDKs = 13, 12, 12, 12 by 25s

50 EZ

8 x 25
odds= fast evil
evens = EZ

3 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:30 (no fins)
SDKs = 14, 13, 13, 13 by 25s

50 EZ

8 x 25 easy speed fly w/fins @ 75% @ :40

2 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:30 (no fins)
SDKs = 15, 14, 14, 14 by 25s

50 EZ

8 x 25
odds = fast free w/fins @ 90%
evens = EZ

1 x 100 back
SDKs = 16, 15, 15, 15 by 25s (no fins)

100 EZ

Total: 3300

10 minutes in hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I am dead after 3 hours of working out. The hypoxic kicking definitely took it out of me. I had some cramping issues on the last few hundreds, which surprised me as I hadn't had any calf cramps recently. Of course, I have pounded my legs the last few days, so it could be that. Or, I guess, it could be the yoga beforehand.

I'm hoping to work out with Speedo, Cage Fighter and Jazz tomorrow.

I tried out the Pure Sport workout and recovery drinks today. Banana-strawberry flavor. It didn't make me nauseous like the Hammer products, so that was quite excellent. The recovery drink I split in half and used half after yoga and half after swimming. The taste was just too strong to have in one dose. I hope that doesn't negate its effectiveness. I have another swim friend who really likes Pure Sport as well.

Comparison:

I notice that lovely Jimby prominently displayed my botched 50 back in LCM from 2008 Zones on FB. I slipped on the start and sunk in the water, going 33.4. So, for what it's worth you can compare my 2008 (33.4) and 2009 (31.99) 50 LCM backstrokes. You can see me drop an F bomb in 2008. B70s in both.

2008: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaFortressa

2009: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_QnCTP2n2w&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Leslie's 50 LCM Backstroke National Championship Performance[/ame]

P90X:

I got my P90X plyo video in the mail. Am anxious to give it a whirl. But probably not tomorrow right before a sprint workout.

Food Blog:

I'm going to write down my food for the next weeks leading up to my SCM meet. As I recall from the last time I started this project, I used a pretty low carb approach for a month and then increased carbs for the couple weeks before SCY Zones. In retrospect, that seemed to work pretty well. This time, I'm not eliminating carbs. I think I really should focus more on portion size and skipping desserts, etc. For example, I ordered Thai food with a friend a couple days ago -- I ate way too much b/c it's so tasty.

Breakfast:

large smoothie with one banana, strawberries, frozen mixed berries, scoop of yogurt, flax seed oil, 1/2 scoop of whey protein

Lunch:

salmon, salad with tomatos & cucumbers, small box of junior mints (lol)

Snacks:

Pure Sport recovery drink after yoga and swimming and Pure Sport workout drink during swim.
apples w/ peanut butter
cheese & crackers

Dinner:

quesadilla with cheese, peppers, tomatoes & mushrooms
balance bar in car

(Dinner was a bit of a disaster tonight as I was in the car driving to myriad things between 4-9 pm. I had to make separate dinners for everyone. And I still have to pack lunches. I'm sure I'll need another snack -- I'm still hungry.)

Submit "Hard!  Wed., Nov. 4" to Digg Submit "Hard!  Wed., Nov. 4" to del.icio.us Submit "Hard!  Wed., Nov. 4" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hard!  Wed., Nov. 4" to Google

Updated November 5th, 2009 at 12:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Yoga

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:15 (no fins)
    SDKs = 13, 12, 12, 12 by 25s

Leslie, does this mean you do 13, 12, etc. SDKs off each wall? How far does this take you--the full 15 m legal amount, or further? If the full 15 m, that means you probably are taking maybe 6 or so arm strokes total per length, flipping onto your stomach, and doing the turn?

So realistically, what is that? 3-4 breaths maximum per length?

It really does sound gruelling.

Your times have become so good that I think this hardcore kicking focus is really paying off. I am thinking about trying it...
    Yes, "SDK =" means the # of dolphin kicks off each wall. In my poly tank practice suit, I was getting close to or at the 15 meter mark on the last two sets. 16 kicks on the first wall puts me past it since I typically take 21 kicks per length on shooters. (The kick counts are different with a tech suit. I took 13 to get near the 15 meter mark in a B70 at the Sprint Classic.))

I wasn't taking any arm strokes, as I did the rest of the length with a backstroke flutter kick. Probably got a few more breaths doing that, though it didn't seem like much. I took a gigantic breath before each flip turn.

I'm going to practice more of these 100 SDK sets to improve my 100 back. Traditionally, in that event, I've taken very very few SDKs off the 3rd and 4th wall. Even in my last SCM 100 back, which I was thrilled with, my first few SDKs were very effective, but I couldn't do nearly as many as I did today. So we'll see. Without more practice, it could throw me into oxygen debt in a race. But I think Chris S. is correct that there are more underwater gains to be made as the race goes on. Though, to be sure, I am quite fond of my gains on the start.

For me, hardcore kicking seems to make me speedier and really saves the shoulders. And it doesn't get too tedious if I vary it with no fins, fins, MF, on different sides, etc. I'm sure more kicking would really help your 100 and 200 free. And sometimes it's good to change up your training focus for a season or two. You seem like you've been on the same regimen for awhile now, right?
    I know I'm late to the game commenting, but I just want to publicly post my for this set from Sunday ... after a Halloween party no less! Now I'm going to start watching my back for Fort on the distance events as well as the sprints.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Kick Endurance Set:

with fins, no rest between sets

4 x 300 @ 4:00
    5 x 200 @ 2:40
    6 x 100 @ 1:20

300s = backstroke kick w/6 SDK per 25, fartlek style
    200s = dolphin w/board/flutter w/board/backstroke kick/flutter kick w/board/dolphin kick w/board (held around 2:20ish)
    100s = backstroke kick w/8 SDK per 25. Tried to negative split these, but I was getting a bit tired so don't think I did on the last couple. Started out around 1:05, but was up to 1:10 on the last 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    I know I'm late to the game commenting, but I just want to publicly post my for this set from Sunday ... after a Halloween party no less! Now I'm going to start watching my back for Fort on the distance events as well as the sprints.
    No need to worry ...

But I'm definitely not taking this challenge: http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=4952

At most, I'd do the "flatlander." I lose count in the other distances.
    I have a note on FB in which I collect sprint oriented workouts I like.
    Ah... the benefits of being you "friend"

I am dead after 3 hours of working out.
    Drop Dead Sprinter, Fortress Fortingston, can workout for 2 hours longer than most mid distance masters swimmers. 2.5 if their initials are JT or PW.

The recovery drink I split in half and used half after yoga and half after swimming. The taste was just too strong to have in one dose. I hope that doesn't negate its effectiveness.
    Half strength or half quantity? Neither will affect effectiveness. Glad you like puresport. I thought the lemon-lime was mildly flavored if what you have is a little too flavored.

What did you think of the workout drink during the swim? I haven't used workout drinks, but it might be a good idea.

I ordered Thai food with a friend a couple days ago -- I ate way too much b/c it's so tasty.
    Yeah, Thai food is a big reason I expect to return from Asia as Tubby McTubbo. I might have to pull a CreamPuff name change.

And I still have to pack lunches.
    That's so nice of you. My mom would give me money to buy a cafeteria lunch, and when I realized I didn't want to eat that, I got to make my own lunch. Hopefully you are just making lil'il Forts lunch and MiniFort and BoyFort are responsible enough to take care of themselves
    Well, 90 minute of it was yoga ... But my weights + swim sessions can be 2.5 hours or so. Sprint sessions can actually take longer b/c you have to allow so much time for rest and recovery swimming.

Wrt pure sport, I used half a packet of the recovery mix. I thought about lemon lime, but I drink that a lot with G, so wanted a change. The workout mixture seemed fine, but it's hard to tell based on one workout.

She Puffery used to use Hammer products during and after workouts, but she has cut them out to save on calories and doesn't seem to notice a difference (except in her weight). But, since I have more troubles with recovery, I think I need to err on the side of using recovery drinks or other hocum pocum.

No, I make all 3 of them lunches. I'm not a fan of cafeteria lunches, though they do seem to have improved somewhat since I used to buy them. Between sports and their load of school work, they are v busy on school nights. But have no fear, they have other chores.

Thai food is a major weakness. Right up there with potato chips, which I did have for a snack last night. They are now putting flax seeds in multigrain chips. What next?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Ah... the benefits of being your "friend"
    Workouts at http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=127613750980
    I was just trying to say you put in a lot of time for a pure sprinter.

If you can drink puresport and keep working out, that is a start. I already ahve a Endurox after every workout, and if I didn't I would probably keel over from hunger. Of course, I don't want to fit in a size 0 dress either.
    I was just trying to say you put in a lot of time for a pure sprinter.

If you can drink puresport and keep working out, that is a start. I already have a Endurox after every workout, and if I didn't I would probably keel over from hunger. Of course, I don't want to fit in a size 0 dress either.
    Good, I didn't want to meet you modeling a dress.

I dunno about that .... Sprinters put in time, especially at the gym. And even 100s require some conditioning. So it takes some serious time to be simultaneously fast, strong, flexible and relatively trim. (Unless you're 25 and naturally talented.)

And the 100 fly is not a sprint. That's my view and I'm sticking with it.

She Puff says the sugar in Endurox makes her crazy. I checked pure sport and it has 30 grams of sugar for the whole recovery packet. Not as much as Endurox, but still some. The pure sport packaging/labeling really focuses on the "magic" of protein.
    Good, I didn't want to meet you modeling a dress.

I dunno about that .... Sprinters put in time, especially at the gym. And even 100s require some conditioning. So it takes some serious time to be simultaneously fast, strong, flexible and relatively trim. (Unless you're 25 and naturally talented.)

And the 100 fly is not a sprint. That's my view and I'm sticking with it.

She Puff says the sugar in Endurox makes her crazy. I checked pure sport and it has 30 grams of sugar for the whole recovery packet. Not as much as Endurox, but still some. The pure sport packaging/labeling really focuses on the "magic" of protein.
    Ok, I give up. Drop dead sprinters, like Paul Wolf and Jazz, spend a lot of time working out, JUST LIKE YOU

Once fly is involved, no one cares about the distance unless they are trying to finish the race. There is sprints, middle distance, distance and fly.

I think maybe, just maybe, Creamy was crazy before Endurox? Maybe? In a good way of course.

Puresport and Endurox are just different ratios of sugar and whey isolate with flavoring for the most part.
    Honestly, don't you think Wolfy would be faster if he worked out more and hit the gym? I do; I don't think he's near his potential.

The fast sprint chicks in my age group work out, dude. They're ripped! The fast overall chicks put in more yardage though, to be sure.
    Leslie, I know I have said this before, but let me say it once more:

You are a true trailblazer!

I do think there is a bit of sexism in the world of swimming and, indeed, the world at large. Specifically, I think I--of all people! gender egalitarian nonpareil! part woman now that my lesion matches my hormonal milieu!--occasionally have thought in the past:

Oh, that Leslie! With her odd kicking regimens and monofinning and concentration on bizarre nontraditional swimming practice techniques!

What we have here is Diary of a Mad Housewife updated for the 2000's!

Yes, this is the kind of sexist gibberish thoughts that would every once in a while filter through my mind till I would catch myself and immediately begin bailing the ship of all such nonsense.

However, the pudding's proof is in your performance.

I think a lot of people pay lip service to A) kicking is important, and B) to sprint fast in races, you have to sprint fast in practice.

But you, more than anyone else I know, have truly been living these mantras over the past few years, and you are swimming extraordinarily well!

Kudos to my fellow chick swimmer Leslie!

Sorry for any sexist thoughts that Society Made Me Have in the past.

You are my swimming hero.

Uh oh...I am having a sexist thought about food diary and expensive replenishment elixir use....
    That's some crazy working out. I may do 3 hours some days, but certainly not straight through (other than some long runs). I like the split AM/PM schedule.

I've heard about Bikram yoga (there's a studio in Tempe), and I remember 60 Minutes did a story on it about a year or so ago. That just looks crazy, I don't know if I'd last 20 min.
    Honestly, don't you think Wolfy would be faster if he worked out more and hit the gym? I do; I don't think he's near his potential.
    I can't disagree with this satement but I've made some recent choices in my life that preclude being able to train as much as I need to.

Not near my potential, boy those words sound familiar. Nothing like creating the same situation 25 years later.
    (I have a note on FB in which I collect sprint oriented workouts I like.)
    Really? I may have to FB friend you so I can see that. Might be the motivation I need to swim long beach...tat and a healthy shoulder.

The fast sprint chicks in my age group work out, dude. They're ripped! The fast overall chicks put in more yardage though, to be sure.
    No more compliments for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Leslie, I know I have said this before, but let me say it once more:

You are a true trailblazer!

I do think there is a bit of sexism in the world of swimming and, indeed, the world at large. Specifically, I think I--of all people! gender egalitarian nonpareil! part woman now that my lesion matches my hormonal milieu!--occasionally have thought in the past:

Oh, that Leslie! With her odd kicking regimens and monofinning and concentration on bizarre nontraditional swimming practice techniques!

What we have here is Diary of a Mad Housewife updated for the 2000's!

Yes, this is the kind of sexist gibberish thoughts that would every once in a while filter through my mind till I would catch myself and immediately begin bailing the ship of all such nonsense.

However, the pudding's proof is in your performance.

I think a lot of people pay lip service to A) kicking is important, and B) to sprint fast in races, you have to sprint fast in practice.

But you, more than anyone else I know, have truly been living these mantras over the past few years, and you are swimming extraordinarily well!

Kudos to my fellow chick swimmer Leslie!

Sorry for any sexist thoughts that Society Made Me Have in the past.

You are my swimming hero.
    Why, Jimby, I'm touched, that's so sweet. Now I have to figure out how to write up my unconventional swim training and sell a book. Oh, wait, no one would buy it cuz they don't really want to train like me and/or there is a teensy bit of sexism creeping in. lol I know you've already taken off IQ points in the past for me being blond.

Of course, if all prefixes are taken off the word Olympian, maybe I'd have more street cred.
    No more compliments for you.
    lol

Sorry Q. You're totally 100% (not 99.9%) right. I train my ass off. I am a sprinter hybrid. Or a sprinter endorphin junkie. Or, most likely, sprinter suffering from cognitive dissonance.

But Ahelee made my day with her comments on FB. So, in the future, I will fully embrace all compliments about my mania.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    That's some crazy working out. I may do 3 hours some days, but certainly not straight through (other than some long runs). I like the split AM/PM schedule.

I've heard about Bikram yoga (there's a studio in Tempe), and I remember 60 Minutes did a story on it about a year or so ago. That just looks crazy, I don't know if I'd last 20 min.
    I'd much rather split too, but typically I get at most an 1+ in between on weekdays if I'm doubling. I may try to do the P90X video tonight, and that would give me a good practice gap. Nights are typically just out for me exercise wise.

I like hot yoga better than cold yoga. I didn't think I would make it through my first class. I nearly walked out at the 60 minute point, but survived. It takes a couple weeks to acclimate to the heat. It's definitely great for flexibility and balance though.
    Updated November 5th, 2009 at 04:03 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    I can't disagree with this satement but I've made some recent choices in my life that preclude being able to train as much as I need to.

Not near my potential, boy those words sound familiar. Nothing like creating the same situation 25 years later.
    Wolfy, dear, you're working two jobs. It's totally understandable that you can't work out as much as you'd like. If I were you, and given that, I would focus solely on sprinting and give up these notions of 200s. 200s take rock solid conditioning. 50s don't -- you could train like Jazz. You could get away with 100s too. Also, swim fewer events at meets. (Wally never swims more than 2.) In short, don't get stuck in the convention of meterage and check off challenges and max-eventing. Focus on your strength, sprinting, for now. Then you won't be so frustrated or say "I need to do more of X." That's just my two cents. Maybe X can happen in the future. But, for now, maximize what little training training time you have by focusing and specializing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast