View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

Non-Garbage recovery

Rate this Entry
I told Quick I would post this, but it is pretty boring.

The goal is to work on my new stroke and reintegrate my kick with it. It kinda stopped when I started thinking about my arms.

Recovery day

Warm up
200 free
300 kick
200 free
300 back

Main Set
8x25s kick swim (kick hard to mid pool, then try to maintain the kick but full stroke. Hard to coordinate for me)

200 back

24x25 Focus
- eyes down
- wide entry
- don't lift head on breath
- consistent kick during stroke
- consistent kick during breath
- KICK
- six beat kick in tempo with arms
- pull straight back from entry
- enter with finger tips not thumb
- KICK
- no outsweep
You get the idea. Each 25 I was just trying to swim perfectly, and finding lots of things that were falling apart when I tried to fix something else.

Why did I need a recovery day? Today was my 7th day in the water and yesterday was team sprint day which happens once a month kinda randomly. We consolidate from 18 lanes to 8, divided into two groups (fast and not as fast). Then the fastest people lead each of the lanes, then the next fastest, ect. Everyone should be in a "heat" with people who might be about their speed.

The workout was something like this:
200 Pull moderate
4x100 descend on 1:40
- went 1:10 to :59
200 Pull moderate
3x100 descend on 1:40
- went 1:06 to 1:00
200 Pull moderate
3x100 descend on 1:40
- went 1:03 to 1:00
200 Pull moderate
4x50 FAST on 1:00
- went :30 to :28

Most importantly, I only let the fast sprinter beat me on the first 3 100s. He wasn't able to bet me again after that. He lacks endurance but is actually a much faster/better sprinter than me. His name is not Paul.

Submit "Non-Garbage recovery" to Digg Submit "Non-Garbage recovery" to del.icio.us Submit "Non-Garbage recovery" to StumbleUpon Submit "Non-Garbage recovery" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

This looks like a good workout for me to try. It will have to be Monday since I have long course tomorrow.
    If I ever aspire to swim more than a 50 free again, I would have to do the above regularly. Not easy!
    I like your recovery swim set, and maybe I'll try it sometime when I'm swimming on my own.

That sprint set doesn't sound like one of our sprint sets. We do one every Friday, usually short with more rest. Yours sounds more like one of our usual swim sets (of course you're far faster than I am). But I do like the idea of spreading people around, I like it when I get to race someone a similar speed.
    Donna: Are you stealing the recovery workout or the sprint workout?

Fort: You must be talking about the sprint workout.

Here is the entire team sprint workout: http://www.ntexmasters.com/workoutdetails.asp?id=73

Obviously, I skipped the fast with fins because I had to get out.

Tim: My team wouldn't really want to do an LT set. There might be 2 or 3 people who would be interested in fast for time from the blocks on 6-8 minutes. 30-40 people show up at practice. Lots of tris and fitness swimmers and most of the competitive swimmers are that age where they don't have time to compete.

It was a team sprint because the coach was calling out times, sending us off, etc, and everything was supposed to be fast. I do think most people push during those sets more.
    No, I was talking about the 24 x 25. I almost never swim more than a 50 free in a meet b/c I can't sustain a windmill stroke that long and b/c I don't think my kick is sufficiently integrated. Now, when I did more mid-free over the summer and used a loping stroke, I felt like I was working on this. But kicking properly during freestyle is a long term difficult project, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    No, I was talking about the 24 x 25. I almost never swim more than a 50 free in a meet b/c I can't sustain a windmill stroke that long and b/c I don't think my kick is sufficiently integrated. Now, when I did more mid-free over the summer and used a loping stroke, I felt like I was working on this. But kicking properly during freestyle is a long term difficult project, I think.
    Ah. I didn't think the 24x25s were physically hard, so I figured you were talking about the 100s. Yes, the 24x25s were technically hard, which was the point.
    Those are some fast repeats.
    At this rate....a good 200 result is a given. ...assuming you throw some rest into the equation. You're not a teenager anymore!

On the 7th day you're supposed to rest and hit the Pinot Noir.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Those are some fast repeats.
    At this rate....a good 200 result is a given. ...assuming you throw some rest into the equation. You're not a teenager anymore!

On the 7th day you're supposed to rest and hit the Pinot Noir.
    I always liked your advice, I just can't figure out why... Does your medicine always come with a spoonful of sugar maybe?

I seem to have a really tough time breaking 1:00 in practice. That needs to happen easier.
    I seem to have a really tough time breaking 1:00 in practice. That needs to happen easier.
    Not necessarily. My daughters best friend...(13 years old/8th grade) seems to cruise along with and average pace of 1:10 per hundred when they do a set on 1:30 or even 1:40. Last night she went :55.3 for the 100 free at a league championship meet. It was awesome.

Some people have the ability to turn it on at a meet. 'Practice swimmers', who churn out impressive repeats, will often feel discouraged as they may not achieve the same time drop as the 'meet swimmer'. Watching the clock is good, but perhaps it's best not to let it influence your assessment of personal progress.

Look at how funkyfish practices. Nice relaxed intervals...and some 1 lap speed work. Yet he's very good at the 100 free.

Stick to focusing on best technique. Whatever you do in practice....you will do it at a meet.
    Work on clean turns and a quiet stroke ...first and foremost.

And take time to recover. It's just as important as working hard. Pinot Noir over and out.