SCY @ GMU w/Speedo & Jazz:

Warm up:

700 variety

1 x 25 medium fast back SDK + 25 EZ

Pre-Sprint Set:

6 x 25 dolphin free*

4 x 25 burst kick**

4 x 25 dolphin breast***

* Dolphin free is where you use a dolphin kick instead of a flutter kick in free. The kick occurs when the hand enters the water. You can have a single frequency or double frequency kick. The first 3-4 I was not doing a dolphin kick but using a combo body undulation + flutter kick. This felt pretty natural, and may not be too far off my sprint freestyle, which I'm been told has some dolphin action. It certainly felt like I had more DPS. Might not be a bad way to swim a 100 free b/c I can't keep up a fast windmill for a 100.

** Burst kick = push off, streamline w/SDKs, then burst into huge overkick with feet coming completely out of the water, cruise the last 10 yards free.

*** Dolphin breast = a drill where you do an evil pull with fins. We used the fins as a "grip," and didn't do a dolphin kick with them. This forces you to concentrate on and perfect your pull without having your hips drop.

Collectively, these three mini-sets made for a great pre-sprinting warm up.

Speed Work:

2 x (25 medium fast SDK on back + 25 EZ)

1 x 25 AFAP free + 25 EZ

1 x 100 cruiser back SDK

100 EZ

Drill set:

After Jazz & Speedo left, I did a short drill set.

4 x (3 x 50 w/fins) @ 1:00
#1 = dolphin kick on side
#2 = single arm fly drill
#3 = 25 easy speed fly + 25 DAB

100 EZ

Total: 2150

10 minutes in hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

This was a super fun practice. We spent a lot of time chatting about technique and training and drills, so also very informative. We didn't do a lot of speed work, which was good for me b/c my legs were still absolutely fried from yesterday's effort. It was more of a recovery workout actually. I had considered doing the P90X plyo video tonight, but I think it's better to wait until tomorrow. We did see the GMU college and masters coach briefly. I tried to assure him that Pete was putting in the yards, but he didn't seem to believe me ...

Videos:

We took a 6 videos. The quality isn't great, but they're still informative. Here they are:

Speedo & Jazz 25 AFAP free, 2x:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRMXuyqGb9E"]YouTube- Speedo & Jazz 25 free[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6M79PXF0Fc"]YouTube- Speedo & Jazz 25 free[/ame]

Wolfy is the expert, but the things I quickly notice are: (1) Jazz is entering thumb first, especially with his left hand. (I think he's doing this intentionally to quicken his catch, but it can hurt the shoulders), (2) Pete's head position is a little high; (3) Jazz has the edge on kicking.

Speedo & Fort 25 free AFAP
(Battle of the Latent Loper and the Straight Arm/Windmiller)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx1fKwoSkyU"]YouTube- Speedo & Fort 25 free[/ame]

My head position is way too high. I need to work more on correcting this. Part of this may be the dolphin action.

Fort SDK Shooter:

Garden variety demo shooter. Everyone should work on these in practice.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D57aH4FcSAg"]YouTube- Fort SDK Shooter[/ame]

Speedo's Start:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdlPcy8e_iA"]YouTube- Speedo Start[/ame]

Think you need to keep your legs together on the start!

Fort Cruising 100 Back Shooter:

This is not a fast example; my legs were too cooked for that. This is a hypoxic 100 shooter. I came up at the flags after smashing my heels on the wall getting too close the first time. Jazz said I sounded like a whale with my big exhale and inhale at the third wall and that my hypoxic work was costing me brain cells. You can see how he gets the girls.

I'd like to film a very fast 100 w/MF from underwater sometime.

Oh, and I was surprised my feet/legs were apart more than I thought ... Looks like I took 12, 12, 13, 14 kicks (but then I didn't come up at the flags on the last 25).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L11nRXpMswE"]YouTube- Cruiser 100 Back Shooter[/ame]

Food Blog:

Breakfast: smoothie with kiwi, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, 1/2 scoop of whey protein, flax seed oil and coconut water

Snack on way to workout: balance bar and cliff shot blocks

Lunch: large salad w/lettuce, grilled chicken, tomates, peppers, parmesan cheese and flax
seeds; fruit salad with kiwi, blackberries and blueberries

Dinner: homemade mac & cheese, steamed peas & carrots

Drank Pure Sport during and after workouts again.

Will have a snack later b/c I'm still hungry and don't have She Puffery's iron discipline. Plan on a glass of chard too, as my wine fast won't begin until Nov. 13. She Puff thinks this one will be tough. I'm slightly worried that I will have trouble falling asleep without my chard fix. It's almost become part of my bedtime routine. lol

She Puff also did my hypoxic kick set from yesterday and thought it was easy, proving that she is a kick ass kicker. I have to go look at the refinements she made to my set. She really should just stop protesting and become a backstroker ...

Submit "Vids from Sprint Workout, Thurs., Nov. 5" to Digg Submit "Vids from Sprint Workout, Thurs., Nov. 5" to del.icio.us Submit "Vids from Sprint Workout, Thurs., Nov. 5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Vids from Sprint Workout, Thurs., Nov. 5" to Google

Updated November 6th, 2009 at 03:59 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    So, you pretty much filmed Jazz's full workout?
    Yeah, we had to cut back on the number of 25s in our pre-set. hehe
    Thanks for the videos! Fun to watch- your 100 back kick was impressive!
    So do you have to be a strong kicker to be a decent backstroker?
    You guys are having too much fun!

Is that a trampoline alongside the pool?
    Quote Originally Posted by psyncw
    Thanks for the videos! Fun to watch- your 100 back kick was impressive!
    Thanks Neill. It was OK, not that impressive. Now, if I did it fast for time maybe ...

Too bad you can't join us in our sprint ventures. Keep urging your team to do some nice broken swims.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    So do you have to be a strong kicker to be a decent backstroker?
    Are you teasing me, Bob? Or pulling Q sarcasm on me?

Of course you do! Backstroke is a leg driven stroke. And whenever you can spend 15 meters underwater? Well, you gotta have the legs for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    You guys are having too much fun!

Is that a trampoline alongside the pool?
    It is! But it's for the dive teams, who, coincidentally, practice during our 12-2 lap swim hours ... Very distracting!

We did have fun! Much more fun than the 3 x 100 "I wanna puke" day. (But the OW swimmer who just won the Bermuda race didn't look like she was having too much fun cranking through umpteen 100s on short rest ...)
    Or pulling Q sarcasm on me?
    How did I get this reputation? Just ask anyone who doesn't know me and they will tell you I am a very nice guy, not sarcastic at all.

Neat videos. Jazz has a wide entry!

Puffy should stop protesting and start posting training advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    How did I get this reputation? Just ask anyone who doesn't know me and they will tell you I am a very nice guy, not sarcastic at all.

Neat videos. Jazz has a wide entry!

Puffy should stop protesting and start posting training advice.
    I asked her for some the other day. She is always very helpful.

Jazzy does have a wide entry. I hadn't noticed that specific component, as his stroke is very good in general. His high elbows while sprinting remind me of Cullen Jones. But I wonder if that thumb first entry contributes to his shoulder pain? Though he's swimming so little, hahaha, I guess that's rather doubtful.
    I don't think I have a wide entry. I did get that impression the first time I watched these videos. Looking more closely, I think it's an illusion (not sure why). I can pause the first video (with the low angle) at several points where either one of my hands is entering almost directly in front of my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    I don't think I have a wide entry. I did get that impression the first time I watched these videos. Looking more closely, I think it's an illusion (not sure why). I can pause the first video (with the low angle) at several points where either one of my hands is entering almost directly in front of my head.
    I think you are right. You are entering toward center, so the splash starts in line with your shoulder. There are a few strokes on the right side that are wider than the others and happen to be mid pool and in the best shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    It looks to me as if your hands exit the water wide at the beginning of the recovery (back near your hips) but re-enter right in front of your ears. Not sure how important the exit is.
    So is Jazz's entry correct for sprinting? Or is a wider entry more desirable? Or is it only more desirable for KPN type distances?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    So is Jazz's entry correct for sprinting? Or is a wider entry more desirable? Or is it only more desirable for KPN type distances?
    Wide is more desirable for me, because it didn't make me slower and I have not had shoulder pain from swimming since making the change.

As much as I would like to be a stroke technician, I am probably more qualified to give Jazz lifting advice than I am qualified to give him stroke advice. I just don't have the experience taking someone with a good stroke and making better. The only way I know to get that experience is coaching.

Helping people with a mediocre stroke or worse, I can do.
    Wolfy promised to weigh in later. He can't view videos at work. He's the real expert.
    I don't see you exhaling at all while you are underwater during the 100 back shooter. I don't have much of an SDK at all so I'm not one to ask or dish out advice - I'm just pointing out my observation. Hopefully somebody like Chris can weigh in with an educated suggestion. Or better yet, try another one where you slowly exhale while you're underwater and compare it to how you feel when you hold your breath the whole time and then you can decide what is best for you.
    I'm glad you put that up. Watching those video's helps me see what I need to work on (faster turn over and finishing my stroke better) Ahelee filmed me about a month ago while we were doing fast 4 X 50's on 2 minutes. I Think I went 25.0, 24.8, 24.8 & 24.6 on that set. Here is the video. I'm in the red cap and its the second lap of my 50.

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/9.../video/6550898
    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin
    I don't see you exhaling at all while you are underwater during the 100 back shooter. I don't have much of an SDK at all so I'm not one to ask or dish out advice - I'm just pointing out my observation. Hopefully somebody like Chris can weigh in with an educated suggestion. Or better yet, try another one where you slowly exhale while you're underwater and compare it to how you feel when you hold your breath the whole time and then you can decide what is best for you.
    You are correct -- no exhale b/c I was wearing Fortina the nose clip.

Before I started using Fortina shortly before CZ, I was struggling with my backstroke SDKs. I felt like I was bleeding air and couldn't manage a gradual exhale at all. I know that's what Chris does, but I couldn't seem to manage it. So I feel like Fortina saved my back SDKs from extinction. Ande does something similar. Like Natalie Coughlin, he curls his lip over his nose to prevent any air escaping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mswimming
    I'm glad you put that up. Watching those video's helps me see what I need to work on (faster turn over and finishing my stroke better) Ahelee filmed me about a month ago while we were doing fast 4 X 50's on 2 minutes. I Think I went 25.0, 24.8, 24.8 & 24.6 on that set. Here is the video. I'm in the red cap and its the second lap of my 50.

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/9.../video/6550898
    I think it's fabulous that Ahelee films you guys fairly regularly.

Your turnover wasn't too bad, though it looked like it slowed slightly the second half of the 25. Like all of us sprinters, your head position was a bit high. Kick was up very nicely! It looked like your left hand was crossing over ever so slightly or closer to the midline than your right hand?

How important is finishing the stroke in sprinting? From what I understand, coaches seem to be more focused on an early exit in fly and free and more concerned about extension in the front than than the back. Of course, in free sprints, you pretty much want an immediate catch out front. On that note, it looked like (for a sprint) you were entering slightly early and extending too much under water before starting the pull?

Those are some fast free times from a push in practice!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast