View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Friday afternoon playdate with the water

Rate this Entry
I swam solo this afternoon, and my swim really felt more like playing than working out. Here's what I did.

1000 warmup

10 x 100 IM @ 1:45, odds standard IMs, evens IM variants
[For the IM variants, I did all-breaststroke-kick IM, upside down IM, corkscrew IM, IM-order-arms-with-reverse-IM-order-legs, and feet first IM (just a 50 of this, since it's pretty slow)]

Then a thoughtful 400 IM combining kick and swim, focusing on what body movements were propelling me through the water, what might be impeding that movement, how I was powering various motions in my stroke, whether muscles I wasn't using were staying relaxed, that sort of thing.

Then, since I was feeling in that sort of mood, I did one of my favorite technique sets, which I think of as "wrong way/right way" 50s. Basically, you exagerate a stroke flaw on the first 25 of a 50, then fix it on the 2nd 25. Here's the freestyle stroke flaws I focused on doing, then correcting:
*unstreamlinedness (not just on the push-off, but on hand entry, body position, and kicking amplitude)
*head position--looking ahead rather than down at bottom of pool
*crossover arm entry
*back arching
*dropped elbows
I did these 5 flaws twice through, for a total of 2 x (5 x 50). It is amazing how easy and good it feels to your stroke efficiently after swimming it really badly.
Then I did a 50-100-150-200 FR progression on ample rest,focusing on maintaining great form throughout.

Then, since I hadn't done much of anything that felt hard, I did a semifast kick set, 12 x 50 K @ 1:00, odds FR, evens ST. I tried to keep all the kicks under :50, and on the last 3 I replaced the first 25 of the 50 with a sprint 25 swim.

Then easy 200 plus some sculling and dophin jumps to warm down.

I left feeling dreamy and eager for my meets to get here!

Submit "Friday afternoon playdate with the water" to Digg Submit "Friday afternoon playdate with the water" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday afternoon playdate with the water" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday afternoon playdate with the water" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I really like the wrong way/right way set! That's a brilliant idea! I'm going to try it tonight.
    Thanks Bobinator! Actually, when I was swimming it today, I was thinking that 75s--25 wrong way/50 right way--might be even better, as the second 25 of each 50 was feeling awfully short. But either way, enjoy!
    Janet