View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

P90X Plyos, Fri., Nov. 6

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
by , November 6th, 2009 at 09:21 PM (3204 Views)
P90X:

Too busy to hit the pool or gym today, so I decided to do the P90X plyo DVD late this afternoon. It's 60 minutes, with about 15 for warm up and warm down. It's a pretty butt kicking intense workout. My thighs were definitely burning at parts, and I ignored the "now speed it up" instruction that came at several junctures. I can see where people say this is a fat shredding/calorie burning workout -- you're really working all the body's large muscles. I didn't feel the need for a heart rate monitor, which they recommended. My heart rate was up, but not super high. Next time, I'll probably try to do the individual plyos more intensely. I wouldn't recommend jumping into this workout without having done some plyos beforehand. Of course, you can do it in a modified/easier way. It felt l like an hour of squats! I am wondering how the legs will feel tomorrow ...

And I did not hit pause even once!

Here's what's in the workout:

The exercises are grouped into rounds, and each round gets repeated once. The breakdown is as follows:

1) Jump squat, run stance squat, airborne heisman (lateral leaping), swing kick
2) Squat reach jump, run stance squat with direction switch, double airborne heisman, circle run
3) Jump knee tuck,* jumping lunge, leapfrog squat, twist combo
4) Rock star hop, gap jump, squat jack, military march
5) Run squat with 180 jump, lateral leapfrog, monster truck tire, hot foot
6) Bonus round: pitch & catch, jump shot, football move (60 seconds each)**

* This plyo is the hardest in the context of the workout. It's so hard to do them continuously. And jumping from a standstill is harder than squatting first.

* Out of pure stubbornness, I didn't do the catch and pitch. Seemed too irrelevant. So I did jumping jills during this part. But I liked the jump shot and football move.

An description of how to do each plyo is found here:

http://www.fitnessdestinations.com/p...2-plyometrics/

And other descriptions of the DVD:

http://workoutjourney.com/p90x-plyometrics

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/exerc...-2-of-12/20499

I don't have any other P90X DVDs. But my son said they did the Ab Ripper DVD at his dryland/weight training practice for crew. Even he admitted it's hard, so I'm assuming that's true as he's tough as nails. My brother, who has lost 20 pounds on the P90X program after being lazy with two toddlers for a few years, says the Core Synergistics one is pretty taxing and effective as well. I'm fairly sure there's nothing in either one that you couldn't do on your own.

Death of Squats:

Got this email from the company I bought my power wheel from. Can it be true, Q?

http://www.functionalstrengthcoach3.com/squats.html

Submit "P90X Plyos, Fri., Nov. 6" to Digg Submit "P90X Plyos, Fri., Nov. 6" to del.icio.us Submit "P90X Plyos, Fri., Nov. 6" to StumbleUpon Submit "P90X Plyos, Fri., Nov. 6" to Google

Updated November 6th, 2009 at 09:32 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

I am glad you liked the P90X workout. When I watched the ab ripper workout (which McFlabby made fun of me for not actually doing), what I noticed is that the pace is really slow compared to what I think a typical swim does their ab workout in. For the reps and exercises done, their 20 minute workout would take most age groupers 5 minutes. Of course, you get out of all workouts what you put into them. On paper, ad ripper is pretty slow, but if you are going to do 5 second isometric contractions on each rep, it would be pretty hard. I also don't think it is anything you wouldn't have come up with on your own.

Mike Boyle picked a great target to get a lot of free advertising. Go look at funkyfish's avatar and tell me that squating around 500lbs doesn't work the lower body. Or just do 20 back squats and tell me if you back is tired or you legs.

He might be right. The back squat might be limited by the stabilizing muscles. So is the everything else. That is the whole reason for the free weights. Those stabilizers are important. If I wasn't worried about my body working in concert, I would use electro stimulation, and inflate the "important" muscles

Was his solution 1 legged squats? Why not use 1 legged leg press? Weighting problem solved. But free weights are better...

The one leg vs two leg argument is silly. Do this: swim some freestyle or 1 armed butterfly drill. Now, holding the same tempo, do full butterfly. You didn't even double the work, because your legs are doing the same thing, you just doubled the arms. Now, how long can you do 1 armed drill vs full fly? All day vs considerably less than all day.

Good for Mike Boyle on figuring out how to promote his brand cheaply. Unless I misunderstood, Death to Squats really is replacing back squats with 1 legged squats. Nice marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I am glad you liked the P90X workout. When I watched the ab ripper workout (which McFlabby made fun of me for not actually doing), what I noticed is that the pace is really slow compared to what I think a typical swim does their ab workout in. For the reps and exercises done, their 20 minute workout would take most age groupers 5 minutes. Of course, you get out of all workouts what you put into them. On paper, ad ripper is pretty slow, but if you are going to do 5 second isometric contractions on each rep, it would be pretty hard. I also don't think it is anything you wouldn't have come up with on your own.

Mike Boyle picked a great target to get a lot of free advertising. Go look at funkyfish's avatar and tell me that squating around 500lbs doesn't work the lower body. Or just do 20 back squats and tell me if you back is tired or you legs.

He might be right. The back squat might be limited by the stabilizing muscles. So is the everything else. That is the whole reason for the free weights. Those stabilizers are important. If I wasn't worried about my body working in concert, I would use electro stimulation, and inflate the "important" muscles

Was his solution 1 legged squats? Why not use 1 legged leg press? Weighting problem solved. But free weights are better...

The one leg vs two leg argument is silly. Do this: swim some freestyle or 1 armed butterfly drill. Now, holding the same tempo, do full butterfly. You didn't even double the work, because your legs are doing the same thing, you just doubled the arms. Now, how long can you do 1 armed drill vs full fly? All day vs considerably less than all day.

Good for Mike Boyle on figuring out how to promote his brand cheaply. Unless I misunderstood, Death to Squats really is replacing back squats with 1 legged squats. Nice marketing.
    I'm getting a copy of the Ab Ripper DVD, so I'll see. You're correct that you always get out of it what you put into it. I think the plyo DVD could be made incredibly difficult with a faster pace or high leaps. Slow would not be good for me, and I don't have a lot of patience for isometric contractions. But Fort Son said he could feel his abs today after doing the DVD in practice.

Since I almost never do back squats anyway, I will just carry on with my other variants of squatting! It seemed sort of silly to me as well.
    Updated November 7th, 2009 at 10:22 AM by The Fortress
    That video is a joke. "I don't think they could back squat 230 for five." So they suck at squatting. Wow. This guy is acting like he is the first person to discover the bilateral strength deficit. Did he try Google? People know about this, and people still squat with two legs.
    Just to be clear, I think unilateral leg work is quite groovy. I did single leg squats today, actually. But I'm not giving up regular squats. Especially at high reps, the lower back becomes less of an issue (low back is very slow twitch, so it's weaker with better endurance than the leg muscles).
    Yowsers, Fortress, I feel like I need a nap after just reading your workouts. Maybe a massage as well. You're an inspiration!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Yowsers, Fortress, I feel like I need a nap after just reading your workouts. Maybe a massage as well. You're an inspiration!
    Aw, thanks. I was just feeling kinda wimpy today, but that cheered me up. Off for a run now, I think. Can't pass up this beautiful day. Thought I did some slight thought to re-doing the plyo video ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Just to be clear, I think unilateral leg work is quite groovy. I did single leg squats today, actually. But I'm not giving up regular squats. Especially at high reps, the lower back becomes less of an issue (low back is very slow twitch, so it's weaker with better endurance than the leg muscles).
    Groovy? Is this word making a comeback? I seem to hear it pretty frequently lately ...

How many reps do you do on single leg squats? Are you doing these with just bodyweight?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Groovy? Is this word making a comeback? I seem to hear it pretty frequently lately ...

How many reps do you do on single leg squats? Are you doing these with just bodyweight?
    A guy I know says it a lot. Contagious, I guess.

I like ten reps on single leg squats. Going to failure is not too smart because I'll fall over. Bodyweight is way too light. I use dumbbells or a barbell. It's easier to set up with dumbbells, I think. Back leg rests on a swiss ball, a bench, or a box.