View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Core + MF, Thurs., Nov. 12

Rate this Entry
by , November 12th, 2009 at 06:19 PM (2058 Views)
Drylands:

Did mostly a core routine today. Jimby, if you're reading, this would be a superior workout for you than the 14 nautilus machine route. And there's virtually no crunches.

broomstick twist, 1 x 25
good morning darlings, 1 x 50
bicycles, 1 x 50
twisting overhead med ball slam (8 lb ball), 2 x 25
russian twists on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
kneeling cable crunch, 80 x 2 x 10
"Nicole" overhead squats, 45 (bar) x 3 x 15. Since I was doing well on these with the bar, I then did: 50 x 1 x 10, 60 x 1 x 10, 70 x 1 x 10. Yay!
side bends w/45 lb bar, 2 x 15
lying bicep curls on cable machine, 80 x 2 x 10
rack push ups, 2 x 25
rack chins, 3 x 15
box jumps on 18 inch box, 2 x 10
forward lunges w/25 lb DBs, 2 x 15
squat swing & twist w/25 lb plate, 3 x 10

prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
3 position arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15

Didn't stretch, drove to pool.

Swim/Solo/SCY:

Since I received my new Finis Shooter MF last night, I was thrilled to take it the pool today. I really disliked my longer Trainer MF and haven't used it much since LC season. I was rather out of practice doing flip turns with it though. I'm quite fond of geek's name for the nose clip: Fortina. I think I need something similar for the MF. Anyway, here's what I did:

Warm up:

700 variety

Hypoxic Kick w/MF:

4 x (5 x 25 shooter) @ :30
#1 = belly
#2 = left side
#3 = right side
#4 = back
#5 = twisting

50 EZ

Main set:

2 x through:

1 x 100 hypoxic backstroke kick w/MF, 1 breath only at turns (went about 1:00 on these, just cruised)

200 drill (50 chest press fly + 50 good swimmer free drill + 50 front scull + 50 dolphin breast in grip fin style)

4 x 50 @ 1:00, good technique
#1 = fly/back
#2 = back/breast
#3 = breast/free
#4 = free

50 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP SDK w/MF
(went 22 (cramped and missed turn) and 21.5)

100 EZ

Total: 2650

5-10 minutes in hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Didn't feel too bad after yesterday's "Kill the Wolf" VK set. It took me a little while to loosen up at the gym, but then I got going.

Tomorrow, I plan to do hot yoga in the am and then I was very lucky to snag a 1:30 massage appt. I think I (especially the legs) could use one. Then (I promise Wolfy) to take Saturday off and let my body "adapt."

Timing of Massage for Taper Meet?

Does anyone have any thoughts on when is the best timing to get a massage before taper meet? I've heard different things. For example, I've heard deep tissue 10 days out and then swedish massage a few days before. I've heard deep tissue 5 days out. What do people think?

Sick, sick, sick

FortSon seems to have relapsed from his seeming piggy flu recovery. He's at the doctor now; I'm worried about pneumonia. Mini Fort seems mostly recovered. She wasn't hit nearly as bad. I'm still waiting for Gillian and me to get hit ... Not sure whether I'd rather get sick and lose a week of training or get sick during taper ... Argh!

Edit:

FortSon has bronchitis and suspected "rebound H1N1." Blech. But no pneumonia.

Taper:

With my meet on Dec. 12-13, a 3 week taper would start Nov. 21. I'm done with running. And, since the weather is so bloody miserable, I'm not even tempted. I'm going to drop all leg work (plyos, weights) 3 weeks out starting Nov. 21. I'm not precisely sure when to drop upper body weights. I know men would drop them 3 weeks out ... I'm not sure for me. I may taper them during week 3 and then drop them totally the last 2 weeks. I will do yoga during week 3, but then drop it 2 weeks out as well. Then I'll do my usual 2 week plan where I drop intensity and kick volume two weeks out and then drop yardage and intensity some more the final week. Any suggestions are welcome!

Submit "Core + MF, Thurs., Nov. 12" to Digg Submit "Core + MF, Thurs., Nov. 12" to del.icio.us Submit "Core + MF, Thurs., Nov. 12" to StumbleUpon Submit "Core + MF, Thurs., Nov. 12" to Google

Updated November 13th, 2009 at 04:10 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

I did a Massage a week or two before zones and didn't think that it did anything. I didn't have a massage(personal budget crunching) before Indy and had a great meet. The jury is still out on massages for me.
    Massage--I would say it all depends on what kind of work you're getting done, and how your body generally recovers from it for your workouts. I'm comfortable doing a big meet 3 days or so after I get my back and neck worked on, as it makes me feel looser and better in the water. If you're talking painful deep tissue leg work (ouchie!), I would schedule that more than a week out, at least.
    Happy massage tomorrow!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Massage--I would say it all depends on what kind of work you're getting done, and how your body generally recovers from it for your workouts. I'm comfortable doing a big meet 3 days or so after I get my back and neck worked on, as it makes me feel looser and better in the water. If you're talking painful deep tissue leg work (ouchie!), I would schedule that more than a week out, at least.
    Happy massage tomorrow!
    Thanks.

That's what I was thinking, more than a week out for anything painful. It usually takes me awhile to recover from those. I've had good luck getting a non-deep tissue a few days before as well.
    I think Jim will be very good at broom stick twists.

You kept them, you must be getting something from them. I seriously do them everyday. They are my favorite thing to loosen up my back.
    I like them for warm up. They're the first thing I do. Thx for those!

I am really liking the twisting squat swings and the overhead squats for the core. My shoulders are kinda tired from that workout too. Maybe it's the med ball slams? Or maybe that and the overhead squats?
    They are good warmup and kinda fun.

Sore: I am guessing overhead squats. Medball slams would make a sore back and tris, unless you are doing something different than what I am thinking.

Your workouts really are interesting. When are you starting LL-fit?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    They are good warmup and kinda fun.

Sore: I am guessing overhead squats. Medball slams would make a sore back and tris, unless you are doing something different than what I am thinking.

Your workouts really are interesting. When are you starting LL-fit?
    Hahaha. Maybe I'll change my blog title.

Guess it was the overhead squats ... The med ball slams you start with the ball at your waist, then circle it around until overhead, twist, and then slam it down. So it's like a giant circle. You go clockwise and then counter-clockwise. I would think the shoulders are involved? They're just a bit more sore than I thought for a mostly "core" workout.
    Updated November 12th, 2009 at 09:27 PM by The Fortress
    RE: massage, I generally like to have one 2 days before my big meet. I generally get a massage every 3 to 4 weeks and have 2 or 3 masseuses at Lifetime here in Scottsdale that I trust will go deep, but not too deep. My major pain areas are shoulders/lats/back, so the work they do on my legs is minimal as I don't work my legs too hard. Rarely am I really sore the day after, but, even if there's a little tenderness, doing this a few days in advance of the meet allows for recovery time.

I honestly don't know if it really matters, as I was unable to squeeze in a massage before the Rowdy Gaines meet as I was traveling; I still swam well. I'll continue to do them, though, because I just feel so much more relaxed afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Hahaha. Maybe I'll change my blog title.

Guess it was the overhead squats ... The med ball slams you start with the ball at your waist, then circle it around until overhead, twist, and then slam it down. So it's like a giant circle. You go clockwise and then counter-clockwise. I would think the shoulders are involved? They're just a bit more sore than I thought for a mostly "core" workout.
    Ah, the slams are a bit different than what I was thinking. Probably both. The overhead squats are probably pretty good isometric shoulder work, which might be nice and safe for your shoulders.

Also, it could be that you are just getting used to them. They are both new right?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    RE: massage, I generally like to have one 2 days before my big meet. I generally get a massage every 3 to 4 weeks and have 2 or 3 masseuses at Lifetime here in Scottsdale that I trust will go deep, but not too deep. My major pain areas are shoulders/lats/back, so the work they do on my legs is minimal as I don't work my legs too hard. Rarely am I really sore the day after, but, even if there's a little tenderness, doing this a few days in advance of the meet allows for recovery time.

I honestly don't know if it really matters, as I was unable to squeeze in a massage before the Rowdy Gaines meet as I was traveling; I still swam well. I'll continue to do them, though, because I just feel so much more relaxed afterwards.
    Maybe massage is one of those anecdotal, non-scientific indulgences? I generally feel better afterward as well. You'd think loose would be productive for good swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Ah, the slams are a bit different than what I was thinking. Probably both. The overhead squats are probably pretty good isometric shoulder work, which might be nice and safe for your shoulders.

Also, it could be that you are just getting used to them. They are both new right?
    Yes, they're both fairly new in the last couple weeks. The med ball slam I stole from one of the core videos I posted. It's a nice combo of core + plyo. I really love the overhead squats, and they do seem fairly safe on the shoulders. I'll definitely keep those when I go into my LLFit, no heavy weights, phase in December.

Can you think of any other exercises I should add in this phase?
    Updated November 13th, 2009 at 08:44 AM by The Fortress
    What do you think of this one, Q?

http://www.physicalfitnet.com/exerci..._and_jerk.aspx
    Did mostly a core routine today. Jimby, if you're reading, this would be a superior workout for you than the 14 nautilus machine route. And there's virtually no crunches.
    Reading through the girly man thread I think this is a point that is missed. I think some think of weights purely in the sense of just getting stronger. But a lot of what you do seems to be aimed at making you more athletic/agile. By that I mean, faster off the blocks, quicker and more powerful through the turns, tighter streamline, quicker turn over....

Personally I think that is where the biggest gains are made with weights, between the wall and the break out or the block and the break out.
    MSwimming has some great points. Not only is non-swimming working out important for swimming, but also for injury prevention. Many of the things Leslie does, I saw trainers working on with people when I recently went through physical therapy. Many of the shoulder, leg, or other injuries could be avoided (or at least not as severe) with basic stability exercises (trust me I've learned this the hard way).

While I'm sure Leslie does some 'pure' weight training, she mixes things up at the gym. There's one guy at my gym who can bench 225+, but his legs are as skinny as my wrists...he's an accident waiting to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mswimming
    Reading through the girly man thread I think this is a point that is missed. I think some think of weights purely in the sense of just getting stronger. But a lot of what you do seems to be aimed at making you more athletic/agile. By that I mean, faster off the blocks, quicker and more powerful through the turns, tighter streamline, quicker turn over....

Personally I think that is where the biggest gains are made with weights, between the wall and the break out or the block and the break out.
    Exactly, and that point likely is being missed. I lift weights, but I also work with weights to make me more athletic and stronger for swimming. And I do a lot of core work with weights. Casually tooling around on nautilus machines doesn't seem as effective.

Since I wrote that essay, however, I have added plyos to my routine. I think these will help even more off the blocks and walls. At least I'm hoping!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    MSwimming has some great points. Not only is non-swimming working out important for swimming, but also for injury prevention. Many of the things Leslie does, I saw trainers working on with people when I recently went through physical therapy. Many of the shoulder, leg, or other injuries could be avoided (or at least not as severe) with basic stability exercises (trust me I've learned this the hard way).

While I'm sure Leslie does some 'pure' weight training, she mixes things up at the gym. There's one guy at my gym who can bench 225+, but his legs are as skinny as my wrists...he's an accident waiting to happen.
    Yep! I've said before that some of the weights and core work I do seem to protect my shoulders from breakdown. And stronger muscles means less pressure on the more fragile tendons.

Skinny legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I thought you were looking for unweighted exercises?

I would do squat press and dead lifts as a substitute. The swing part of the clean puts pressure on the shoulders and back that I would rather avoid. Or rather, I would avoid them if I wanted to lift heavy.
    Not unweighted entirely. I'd still use light weights.