View RSS Feed

chaos

3000 POSTAL

Rate this Entry
by , November 14th, 2009 at 09:44 PM (1159 Views)
I tweaked my back a bit on thursday while carrying a couple of 500lb granite slabs up a short stair run with a tight landing. My lead install man has left to pursue a career as a recording engineer (that bastard!) and has left us short in that dept. Even with all the wheels and levers available to us, sometimes things just have to be man-handled and I (reluctantly) am just the man to do it. Maybe Jazz and Fort would care to add granite hauling to their lifting routines??? (call me guys!)
.......but I digress.....
So I needed some work and scheduled an acupuncture session at noon. I don't know how many needles were poked in my upper back, but there were many and I could feel my muscles twitching throughout the 30 minute session.... Katie had some Astor Piazzolla cd playing; I love tango music.

I took a long hot shower and a little nap before masters.

The pool was really cloudy tonight and only 2 of us showed up to swim. Coach Dan agreed to keep time.

I felt ok after a warm-up that consisted of a 500, 3x 100, and 4x 50 trying to find that easy sustainable pace, and was ready to go.

Dan asked what the plan was and I responded with a shrug and "1:12's would be 36 minutes" we agreed that if I fell off this pace he would do something to alert me, (I don't know what he would do that could make me swim faster, but anyway... it was a plan)
We have a very nice digital clock that is easily visible to left breathers. I am a dominant left breather and can easily keep track of my pace, so Dan was really only useful to record my splits.... sorry Dan.

GO... and I feel good at 14 SPL..... 1st 100 @1:03... too fast... settle down... 2:12 @ 200yds, thats better... only 15 more of those. 5:39 @ 500yds ... not bad, I suffered through a "fast" 500 at the end of practice last night and only managed a 5:43 (1/6th of the way home... hold steady) 11:25 @ the 1000 mark, one third down, 2/3rds to go... 80 lengths... 66% ... at least I don't have Hey Jude stuck in my head (damn! now I do!.. naaa naaa naaa na n' na naaa etc ad infinitum). 1650 - 18:57 (a personal best!) 15SPL now. 2000 - 23:02 na n' na naaa.
I go to 16SPL, keeping it light 'till the end.
3000 @ 34:40.9

I'm thinking about the 6000 for tomorrow......

Submit "3000 POSTAL" to Digg Submit "3000 POSTAL" to del.icio.us Submit "3000 POSTAL" to StumbleUpon Submit "3000 POSTAL" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congrats on your excellent 3000!
    Janet
    Way to go, Dave. Someday I gotta do one of those; having a nice digital clock would definitely be the key.

How long have you been doing accupuncture? What do you think it works best for? I'm contemplating it for a tweak in my shoulder that no amount of massages or chiro sessions can seem to release. Fortunately, it doesn't affect my free or back, but fly is painful. Would love to hear your thoughts, pros, cons, warnings, etc.
    Way to go, Dave. Someday I gotta do one of those; having a nice digital clock would definitely be the key.

How long have you been doing accupuncture? What do you think it works best for? I'm contemplating it for a tweak in my shoulder that no amount of massages or chiro sessions can seem to release. Fortunately, it doesn't affect my free or back, but fly is painful. Would love to hear your thoughts, pros, cons, warnings, etc.
    Nice job. You should definitely swim some 1650s at some meets this year if you haven't planned to do so yet. 18:57 1650 split in your 3000 is pretty nice.
    Nice swim!

You carried a 500 pound slab of rock up some stairs?
    Nice swim!

You carried a 500 pound slab of rock up some stairs?
    thanks janet.

patrick,
    i've tried everything ... chiropractic, ART, rolfing, electro-stimulation... etc. and have found acupuncture to be the longest lasting therapy for acute strains. sometimes results aren't noticeable until the next day. my acu-gal, katie often uses electrical pulses on some of the needles. i can usually "self-adjust" my spine if my muscles are loose and acupuncture seems to do the trick. chiro adjustments never seemed to last more than a day for me. rolfing is the most wonderful kind of pain, and i love it for regular maintenance, but its hard to get an apt. when i really need it bad.

tj, i hope to swim a couple of meets this year, but a taper is out of the question.

scy, yup, i'm sorry to say that its a pretty regular demand of my business... i'm getting too old for it.
    good job on your 3k
    I wrote an SFF tip called don't do stupid stuff
    carrying 500 lbs granite slabs is likely to qualify
    good advice ande!
    i will abide whenever possible.