View RSS Feed

Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!

Saturday

Rate this Entry
by , November 15th, 2009 at 12:25 AM (203 Views)
I did a quick workout at Fisher's High School with 6 other Nasti's.
*200 Free stretch out
*200 Drill Free (100 6 kick and roll/100 Catch up drill)
*2 X 100 Back (build to fast last 25)
*4 X 200 free on 3:30 steady till last 50 burst
*8 X 100 on 2:00 (75 Free-10 sec rest and sprint last 25 stroke)
*4 X 50 IM order (25 stroke/25 free)
*8 X 25 Breath Control on :40--I think everyone did underwaters except me. I sprinted and took limited breaths.
* easy 100 free and out!
2,700 yds.

I just got back from a party celebrating "Indy Runner's" 30th Anniversary. Nice party but mostly young folks. I recognized and talked to 5 or 6 people from my running era.
They put a neat slide show together from the 80's. I saw myself a couple of times.
Modern day runners are very different from their older counter-parts. Much lower key and participation orientated as opposed to the hard core preformance we tried to achieve. A 30 yr. old who is trying to qualify for Boston by (3:40 or faster) freaked out when I told her I had to go under 3:10 the 1st time I qualified and did it.
They have significantly watered down Boston qualifications in the last 15 years. I think they want their numbers over 10,000 or something. I personally feel anyone who is much slower than 4 hours in a marathon should concentrate on getting faster in shorter distances and save the marathoning for the stronger days that will follow.
Races that last over 4 hours are extremely difficult to man with volunteers. It's also difficult (and costly) to shut streets down for hours at a time.
While I think it's somewhat courageous for folks who don't train properly to try a marathon I think in the long term it will ruin, and maybe bannish the sport from exsistance.
Okay................back to swimming.

Submit "Saturday" to Digg Submit "Saturday" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sub 3:10! Damn. That is smoking. I don't run marathons, but have been around them enough over the years to be WAY impressed.
    I've wondered about the 4 hours+ crowd as well. I think there is just some obsession/mystique built around the marathon and they want to say they did it, even if they walked some of it. I don't see what's wrong with focusing on shorter distances either. But everyone is much less interested in the half marathon or 10 mile races. Personally, I don't get it. You're so much more likely to get injured training for the marathon.
    Yes I agree. I'm all for people being active but to me it needs to be a part of your lifestyle, not a week-end warrior act of foolishness done to garner a tee shirt to wear around for bragging rights.
    I also believe ultra slow slogging (slow running) doesn't do much for the cardio-vascular system. It does burn some calories but anything else is a joke.
    Lots of the new-age exercisers just don't "get" the THR principle. I guess they didn't have a very good PE teacher