View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Manic Sunday, Nov. 15

Rate this Entry
by , November 15th, 2009 at 09:24 PM (1753 Views)
AM: Swim @ GMU w/team:

Warm up:

500 swim
200 kick
500 pull (descend by 100s -- I did these backstroke, no paddles)
200 IM drill

(I missed about 200 of this)

Vertical Kicking:

20 squat jumps off bottom of pool

med ball toss w/partner, 4 x :30

vertical kicking, 8 x 20 second hands at side, 10 seconds in streamline, 20 seconds rest

Main sets:

2 x through:

4 x 75 IM switch @ 1:15
4 x 50 stroke descend @ 1:00
4 x 25 kick, alternate fast/EZ @ :30

On the 50s, I did backstroke w/fins on the first set and descended to 25. On the second set, I did backstroke kick and descended to 24. On the kicks, I cruised the first 3 and did a fast shooter on the 4th one. Went a mid 9 on my last one.

6 x 100 @ 1:45
50 stroke, 50 dolphin kick on back
I used fins to go faster than aerobic pace and get more rest on these. (Went between :58-1:00 on these.)

100 EZ

Total: 3550 + VK/squat jumps

10 minutes hottub

PM Drylands:

RC Work, 20 minutes

P90X Ab Ripper, 15 minutes

Here are the exercises done:

11 exercises--25 reps of each exercise in this order:
In and Outs (picture being in boat pose and moving your legs in and out)
Bicycle-Same as in and outs but with a bicyle movement
Bicycle in reverse
Crunchy Frog- In and outs with your hands out at your sides bringing them in and wrapping your legs close to your chest
Fifer Scissors-lying on your back one leg hovering over the floor, one up and a 90degree angle both feet flexed and changing them scissor style
Hip Rock and Raise-sort of reverse crunches
Pulse-ups/Heels to Heaven-Reverse crunches with straight legs
V-up roll ups-Similar to a teaser
Obliques-side lying lifting legs and shoulder up at same time, kind of an oblique crunch
Leg climbs-lying on back one leg bent, one leg extended rolling up to top
Mason twist-Oblique twists done VERY quickly with legs raised up off the floor

Overall, it's a pretty tough 15 minutes. It's intended to be done 3x a week back to back with another P90X workout. I definitely didn't think the pace was slow. If you had your hands in the air on the first few exercises, it made them much tougher. I didn't need to do the "climb" in the leg climb -- too easy. The last exercise was a killer. I couldn't do it as fast as they demonstrated. Might take some practice.

P90X Plyo DVD, 60 minutes:

This was my second time through this DVD. It didn't seem quite as tough as the first time. But I had to stop it halfway through to pick up a kid, so maybe that's why. The knee tuck jumps are still the hardest.

PM Swim/Solo/SCM:

I had to take Mini Fort to the gym to swim tonight since she'd miss yet another week of swimming with the oinky-itis. (High school tryouts are tomorrow.) Since I was there, I hopped in and did some hypoxic work with Fortina and Dolphina (Geek's name for my MF).

Warm up:

500 EZ

Hypoxic Work:

16 x 25 shooters w/MF @ :15-20 RI
8 on belly
8 on back

I was going slightly faster on my belly if I bent my knees a little more.

10 x 50 double shooters @ 1:15
1 breath at turn only
5 belly, 5 back

I considered this, for me, to be intermediate rest in a SCM pool.

100 EZ (As I was announcing to Mini-Fort that I was only doing a 100 easy, she said "Well, maybe that's why you're sore the next day, you don't warm down." Had to chuckle after the anti-warm down thread.)

Total: 1500 meters

Grand total: 5050 yards/meters, 2000 kicking

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I had no problem getting out of bed to go to my am team practice this time. But I felt rather sloggy through most of it. It occurred to me later that I probably hadn't really recovered from my deep tissue massage from Friday. It usually takes me a few days to recover from those.

I was chatting with my coach briefly about weights. She is in the process of screening resumes for a strength/conditioning coach for the GMU swim teams. She's particularly interested in those with experience in functional strength training and plyometrics training.

It was kind of a lazy day on the home front (though I still have one sick kid), so I slipped in a lot of dryland work between hauling the other 2 here and there.

Oh, and tonight is night one of swearing off chard and pinot for 30 days. We'll see how that goes ... the weekday/weekend plan is also possible. I am also hoping to stay away from my worst enemy, the potato chip.

I think it is an understatement to say that my legs will be sore tomorrow ...

Submit "Manic Sunday, Nov. 15" to Digg Submit "Manic Sunday, Nov. 15" to del.icio.us Submit "Manic Sunday, Nov. 15" to StumbleUpon Submit "Manic Sunday, Nov. 15" to Google

Updated November 16th, 2009 at 08:50 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

I have to find a partner for the medicine ball toss locally. I was going to ask if this was done in the deep end but GMU really doesn't have a shallow end, only in the warmdown pool.

Now, that was a big day of working out. Not to mention all the parenting obligations. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I have to find a partner for the medicine ball toss locally. I was going to ask if this was done in the deep end but GMU really doesn't have a shallow end, only in the warmdown pool.

Now, that was a big day of working out. Not to mention all the parenting obligations. Bravo!
    The med ball toss is pretty hard. If you can't find a partner you can VK with the med ball.

Yeah, I went a little nuts today.
    I'm going to e-bay tonight and try to get the P90X ab killer.
    It sounds good.
    BTW you had lots of spunk today! I think you should hit the sack early tonight!
    I'm happy to hear almost everyone is well at your house. Have they been vaccinated yet? We were supposed to get it last week (our school corporation) but the vaccinations didn't come in.
    Supposed to be, "Manic Monday," not Sunday

Now you make me feel bad for doing nothing workout-wise the whole day.
    If there is a Lays or Ruffles within 1 mile of me, I can sniff it out.
    Fort, your workouts are an inspiration. I believe that you do not have a single lazy bone in your body! You rock!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Supposed to be, "Manic Monday," not Sunday

Now you make me feel bad for doing nothing workout-wise the whole day.
    Are you kidding? You are a workout maniac. You have to give your body a day off once in awhile to adapt!

I can rarely have a Manic Monday as my youngest only has school a half day on Monday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I'm going to e-bay tonight and try to get the P90X ab killer.
    It sounds good.
    BTW you had lots of spunk today! I think you should hit the sack early tonight!
    I'm happy to hear almost everyone is well at your house. Have they been vaccinated yet? We were supposed to get it last week (our school corporation) but the vaccinations didn't come in.
    There are almost no H1N1 vaccines in this area. We've all had flu shots/mist, but that's it. Still waiting to see if my littlest or I get H1N1. I'm REALLY hoping not.

I have the core synergistics one too, so I'll try that out at some point. But ab ripper, being so short, is easy to squeeze in in a spare moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    If there is a Lays or Ruffles within 1 mile of me, I can sniff it out.
    Some people have a sweet tooth; some people like salty snacks. I am regrettably the latter. It is my biggest food weakness. I really just need to keep the stuff out of the house, as I cannot control myself around those things!
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    Fort, your workouts are an inspiration. I believe that you do not have a single lazy bone in your body! You rock!
    I have a lazy bone. It just does not manifest itself in terms of exercise. Cooking and cleaning -- that I hate!
    That's a WHOLE lot of training,
    start resting SOON
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    That's a WHOLE lot of training,
    start resting SOON
    My meet's the week after yours. I am going to start a 3 week taper -- no leg work -- on Saturday. I can't taper longer than 3 weeks. I'm already dreading it.
    Leslie,
    Keep doing speed training
    decrease yardage, the number of fast swims per practice, & your work out times
    INCREASE REST

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    My meet's the week after yours. I am going to start a 3 week taper -- no leg work -- on Saturday. I can't taper longer than 3 weeks. I'm already dreading it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    Leslie,
    Keep doing speed training
    decrease yardage, the number of fast swims per practice, & your work out times
    INCREASE REST
    You think I need to do that now? Or when my taper starts next week?