View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Core + Recovery Swim, Monday, Nov. 16

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
by , November 16th, 2009 at 05:20 PM (1282 Views)
Drylands:

This morning I was back and forth from my little one's school, so I didn't have time to hit the gym. So, I did the P90X Core Synergistic Workout (60 minutes) and the Ab Ripper (15 minutes). I was forced to take a break halfway through the first one.

Core Synergistic:

Here are the 20 exercises on the P90X Core Synergistic workout:

I marked the ones I liked best with an *. However, the hardest exercises were the sphinx push ups, prison cell push ups, and the combo plank-chatarunga moves. These would be great exercises, but they're not so much for me with a creaky left shoulder. If you have no shoulder issues, they look fabulous. In general, the workout is pretty good because there are numerous exercises and all the core muscles are worked (mostly simultaneously with complex movements). The downside is that there is some injury potential for those with shoulder or lower back issues. I've seem comments on the internet that it is "very hard." Not so -- there are some tough moments, but it's not overwhelming.

1. Stacked foot/Staggered Hands pushup*: One hand forward one back, one foot on top of the other--do 5 pushups and switch sides until you can't anymore

2. BananaRoll: Start on back with legs and arms extended 6-12 inches off floor-hold for 5, roll onto side hold for 5, roll onto back hold for 5....Keep going!

3. Leaning Crescent Lunges:Lunge forward at 45 degree angle while extending your arm in one straight line with your back leg holding dumbells.

4. Squat run: Squat position with one leg in front, holding dumbells moving your arms back and forth like you are running--switch legs.

5. Sphinx Pushups: Rest on forearms elbows under shoulders. Press up off forearms until arms are straight. Great lat exercise.

6. Bow to Boat*: 5 seconds in bow flip over 5 seconds in Boat, repeat

7. Plank to Chatarunga run: While in plank run your knees in for 10 seconds then go down to a chat positions and do a fast type of crawl while hovering!!

8. Walking Pushups: I did this on the hardwood part of our basement. Get in plank with your toes on a towel and walk with your hands 4 counts forward and back keep repeating for a minute.

9. Superman/Banana:* Alternating Superman and then roll onto your belly for arms and legs off floor position/ Go back and forth

10. Low lateral skaters:* Slowly shifting side to side in a deep lunge while lifting your straight leg at the end of the movement

Lunge and Reach*-With weight in hand reach down to front leg as if you are lifting something off of the floor, then reach up and twist as though you are putting it on a shelf. 30 seconds on each side. This is essentially a easier, lower weight, higher rep version of the twisting squat swing I do with a 25 pound plate.

11. Lunge-Kickback-Curl and Press: 20 reps. Tough total body movement provided you use adequate weight.

12. Reach High and Under Pushups:* Combine standard pushup then a sideplank from sideplank reach under like a pilates twist and repeat. Very tough. Oddly, side planks don't hurt my shoulders as much as regular planks.

13. Prison Cell Pushup:
From standing bend forward to plank do a pushup bring your right knee in and out, do another pushup, bring left knee in and out do another pushup, do third pushup and jump back to standing.

14. Side hip raise:* Lying on sideresting on forearm. Lift hips up off of the floor and lower them. Do a bunch on each side.

15. Squat X press: Holding weights do plie squats while you are performing a wide shoulder press to that your body forms and X. 30 reps. Pretty easy, would be harder with more weight.

16. Steam Engine: Standing knee to elbow crunches-50 reps

17. Dreya Roll:* From standing squat down, roll onto your back, kick legs straight up in the air, almost like a pilates control balance move, and roll forward coming to standing again. To make it harder, instead of just standing up do either: (1) a squat jump, (2) a split leg jump, (3) jump and twirl.

18. Plank to Chaturanga Iso: Alternate 10 second counts between plank and chat position. Hard

19. Halfback-Agility moves simulating going through football tire drills 60 sec. Easy.

20. Table dip/Leg raise:* Get yourself into a yoga table. Raise one leg in the air keeping hips up, and do tricep dips changing after 5 reps. 60 seconds

Ab Ripper:

Still like this DVD with the exception of the Fifer Scissors. I used my ab wheel and did long arm crunches during these.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Only swam for 40 minutes today. Went to the pool late and got kicked out by the high school swim team tryouts. That's OK, my legs were fried, so I just did the following recovery swim:

Warm up:

600 variety

25s:

4 x 25 shooters
4 x 25 easy speed fly
4 x 25 shooters
4 x 25 alternate fast evil & EZ swim
4 x 25 shooters
4 x 25 easy speed fly
4 x 25 shooters
4 x 25 shooters
4 x 25 shooters

I did belly, back and twirling shooters.

Total: 1700 yards

5 minutes in the hottub.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Didn't feel all that bad after my exercise mania yesterday -- until I hopped in the pool and tried to kick. Thus, I did all the shooters on cruiser speed. I think I'll give the legs a break tomorrow in the pool if I can. I'm tentatively planning on hot yoga and my team practice tomorrow night.

Submit "Core + Recovery Swim, Monday, Nov. 16" to Digg Submit "Core + Recovery Swim, Monday, Nov. 16" to del.icio.us Submit "Core + Recovery Swim, Monday, Nov. 16" to StumbleUpon Submit "Core + Recovery Swim, Monday, Nov. 16" to Google

Comments

Hi Fort! Thanks for the rundown on the exercises. You described them very well and I'm going to give some of them a try.
    I tried to get seperate dvd's on ebay but I could only find full sets. I'll wait a few days and try again.
    Have a great Yoga practice tomorrow! Namaste!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Hi Fort! Thanks for the rundown on the exercises. You described them very well and I'm going to give some of them a try.
    I tried to get seperate dvd's on ebay but I could only find full sets. I'll wait a few days and try again.
    Have a great Yoga practice tomorrow! Namaste!
    When I finished the DVD, I was a little "meh." But, upon reflection, I think core synergistics type exercises, are probably great for swimmers b/c they target so many muscle groups throughout the core. There were just some that made me a little leery in the DVD. But it could just be my recent shoulder strain -- which I think I actually got from recent heavy lifting!

I'd keep looking on ebay. There were quite a few P90X DVDs when I bid on the plyo one. Had a friend give me the ab and core ones.