View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wednesday, Nov. 18

Rate this Entry
by , November 18th, 2009 at 06:53 PM (2281 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 variety swim, kick, drill

10 x 25 shooters

Aerobic Kick Set:

5 x 200 dolphin kick w/Dolphina, my MF @ 3:00
2 back, 1 belly, 2 side
essentially meditative streamlining

50 EZ

Speed Set:

2 x through:

5 x 50 fly @ 1:00
5 x 50 back @ 1:00
5 x 50 breast @ 1:00
5 x 50 free @ 1:00
:30 extra rest or so after each round

round 1 = swim
round 2 = kick (except swim evil)

#1-#3 = EZ/good technique (drilled the fly)
#4 = fast w/fins (except for fly, which was easy speed)
#5 = EZ

Round 1, I went easy speed fly (29) and then 24, 32, and high 23 on back, breast and free.

Round 2 went high 23, low 24 (jammed turn and cramped) and 32 on evil. I skipped the last 5 x 50 flutter kicks b/c I had cramped so much. I think this was due to dehydration after yoga yesterday. I have to make an affirmative effort to drink more water in the late afternoon and evening and I didn't.

100 EZ

Total: 3950

10 minutes hottub

15 minutes of RC work

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I was still pretty tired in the water today, although my 50s were pretty fast. I think my days of vicious doubles are over for now. I was tempted to do more this afternoon, but passed. It seems to take me awhile to recover from the P90X plyo DVD. That pain lingers!

Plan for the rest of the week is:

Thursday: Do P90X ab ripper and swim with Speedo & Jazz
Friday: weight room + EZ swim
Saturday: off day or possibly just yoga; 3 week taper begins, no more leg work outside of pool
Sunday: swim with team

I swam at OakMarr Rec Center today instead of Springhill, as I was in the area. It's not as deep as Springhill, but has a digital clock at one end. It's so much easier to see your approximate times with that than an old fashioned pace clock.

I made 2 SR purchases today. I ordered the book Swimming Anatomy recommended by Cokie Lepinski for dryland training. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0736075712/ref=ox_ya_oh_product"]Amazon.com: Swimming Anatomy (9780736075718): Ian McLeod: Books[/ame]

I also bought the P90X plus ab/core 20 minute DVD on ebay: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...s/p90x_plus.do

Submit "Wednesday, Nov. 18" to Digg Submit "Wednesday, Nov. 18" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday, Nov. 18" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday, Nov. 18" to Google

Updated November 18th, 2009 at 11:08 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Thursday: Do P90X ab ripper and swim with Speedo
    Forgetting someone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Forgetting someone?
    Never! Can you meet us at Oak Marr Rec Center instead though? See rant from yesterday on GMU.
    I don't see "fins". If you are knocking out 23s without fins on a minute, I might need to become a runner.

Found it! Not a runner, whew!

Good job!
    Updated November 18th, 2009 at 08:50 PM by qbrain
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I don't see "fins". If you are knocking out 23s without fins on a minute, I might need to become a runner.

Found it! Not a runner, whew!

Good job!
    Thx. But I had a real brain fart on the 50 free wrt breathing. I breathed at the flags going into the turn and then the first breath out of the turn. WTH? Really dumb ...
    I almost bought the "Swimming Anatomy" book. Let me know how it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I almost bought the "Swimming Anatomy" book. Let me know how it is.
    I hope it's worthwhile. I guess, at the very least, it'll give me an anatomy lesson I might need.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Never! Can you meet us at Oak Marr Rec Center instead though? See rant from yesterday on GMU.
    Yep. See you at noon?
    Thx. But I had a real brain fart on the 50 free wrt breathing. I breathed at the flags going into the turn and then the first breath out of the turn. WTH? Really dumb ...
    I wonder if fins would speed up my turns if I worked fast 50s with fins as often as you do?

As for breathing in and out of the turn, I am pretty disappointed that you perfection has been flawed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Yep. See you at noon?
    Yep, noon. Noon seems to work better for Pete. I did notice yesterday though that there were many more lanes at 12:30-1:00.
    I LOVE that new clock at OakMarr! It's HUGE and you can see it from anywhere!
    I wonder if fins would speed up my turns if I worked fast 50s with fins as often as you do?

As for breathing in and out of the turn, I am pretty disappointed that you perfection has been flawed...
    Probably. Fins cause you to really hammer the streamlines. But they may slow you slightly on the actual flip. I don't do 50 frees that often, but I love the fins for 50 backs and 50 SDKs b/c of the uber speed and uber kicking/streamlining.

Perfection? lol. I'm a lazy, sandbagging, fin addict, suit addict who makes all kinds of technical errors and refuses to swim the max events at meets or do lactate tolerance training.
    Quote Originally Posted by julieopl
    I LOVE that new clock at OakMarr! It's HUGE and you can see it from anywhere!
    It is huge! I was so happy to see it when I arrived yesterday. I had a middle lane, so I was staring right at it when I finished and looked for my time.
    Probably. Fins cause you to really hammer the streamlines. But they may slow you slightly on the actual flip. I don't do 50 frees that often, but I love the fins for 50 backs and 50 SDKs b/c of the uber speed and uber kicking/streamlining.
    I need to work on my streamlines too, a la GaryHallSr. I really want to experiment with minimizing my "forward profile", and see how that helps with increased speed and decreased effort. Fins are probably the way to work on that.

Snapping my flip turns is probably more of me not being lazy about it, but the fins should help me with my streamlines off the wall. When I video tapped myself, I noticed I have a ton of back arch off the wall. That isn't fast!
    I need to work on my streamlines too, a la GaryHallSr. I really want to experiment with minimizing my "forward profile", and see how that helps with increased speed and decreased effort. Fins are probably the way to work on that.

Snapping my flip turns is probably more of me not being lazy about it, but the fins should help me with my streamlines off the wall. When I video tapped myself, I noticed I have a ton of back arch off the wall. That isn't fast!
    Fins are ideal for working on skinny streamlines. You immediately notice any defect in body position such as arches or raising of the head.

I noticed that I'm sometimes lazy about snapping turns in races. I think, like kicking while swimming, that this is something you have to constantly think about during practice.
    Fins are ideal for working on skinny streamlines. You immediately notice any defect in body position such as arches or raising of the head.
    How about your actual kick. I noticed Ande is working on decreased kick amplitude & increased kick frequency for his SDK's. Seems like fins would cause the opposite to occur. Do you work on that with the vertical kicking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mswimming
    How about your actual kick. I noticed Ande is working on decreased kick amplitude & increased kick frequency for his SDK's. Seems like fins would cause the opposite to occur. Do you work on that with the vertical kicking?
    I don't use the fins as the sole element of propulsion when I'm SDK-ing. They're just an extension of the core/legs. I already have a fairly narrow amplitude and don't need to work on decreasing it. The fins don't seem to effect this at all for me. Amplitude only increases if I intentionally experiment with it, if I focus on DPK, or if I affirmatively use a knee bend. I think I may need to bend my knees slightly more when SDK-ing on my belly. Not sure, mulling this one over.

Wrt VK, I use that to improve at kicking on both the up and down cycle. High intensity vertical kicking in a streamline position is also good for working on SDK/leg speed. I never use fins for VK.