View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sprints w/Jazz & Speedo, Thursday, Nov. 19

Rate this Entry
by , November 19th, 2009 at 05:31 PM (4080 Views)
SCY @ OakMarr w/Jazz & Speedo:

Warm up:

700 variety

6 x 25 "good swimmer" drill
6 x 25 DPS dolphin kick w/fins
6 x 25 breaststroke pull w/fin grip

Speed Work:

5 x 75 @ 3:00
25 fast free into fast turn w/fast breakout, cruise the rest. I didn't do descending stroke counts like those two speedsters. I just dolphin kicked fast out of the turns. I wasn't warmed up enough on the first one.

50 EZ

Total: 1575

10-15 minutes hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

1. As Speedo noted, Oak Marr is not GMU. However, it's still a decent place to practice. Complaints, including 6 emails, have been submitted to GMU facility management. I am not the only one slightly peeved by this! Why, I have never heard Brad Gandee say one nasty word (well, maybe one) and my poor coach has been reduced to running for exercise.

2. Jazz and I were wondering about drills to work on keeping the head down when one breathes in fly. Suggestions anyone? Besides not ever breathing.

3. I feel pretty tired and crappy in the water. Upon reflection, I think it's just that I've been training my ass off the last 4 weeks (in anticipation of submax events and a few wee moments of sprinting) and my body needs a recovery week. This seems to be a pattern with me ... I guess it's good that taper starts next week with the abandonment of all things leg related in the gym. I will miss my plyos though ...

4. I am not sure what to do with hot yoga during tapering ... Tentatively, I plan to go next week and then bag it the 2 weeks before my meet.

5. I'm still not sure whether to taper or just drop upper body weights in a week ... I'll likely do an explosive session at lower weights tomorrow if I feel like my shoulder can take it.

6. Jazz and I are indeed insanely jealous of Speedo's ability to fall instantly asleep at night. We also briefly discussed Jimby's upcoming article in Men's Health on the dark side of ambien.

7. Unlike Geekidissy, I hate Thanksgiving except for the lazy time. He says it's different in the South, but it just seems like a bunch of overcooked mushy food to me. So, I refuse to cook it. I get no mom/wife points for this holiday. The bright side is I will be in Pittsburgh over the holiday, so I will get to drag Jimby to the gym.

8. I want a mistress like Patrick's. Plus, I could use a wife with Mr. Fort being constantly AWOL lately. I'm considering letting my youngest become a wii addict.

9. My left shoulder still bugs me around the shoulder blade and teres area. I will grudgingly continue with the RC and icing tonight.

10. And on other depressing suit news: http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#1taQbb...nds-tech.html/ But I guess it's a good thing we have those extra affordable cheapo $260 jammers around.

Submit "Sprints w/Jazz & Speedo, Thursday, Nov. 19" to Digg Submit "Sprints w/Jazz & Speedo, Thursday, Nov. 19" to del.icio.us Submit "Sprints w/Jazz & Speedo, Thursday, Nov. 19" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sprints w/Jazz & Speedo, Thursday, Nov. 19" to Google

Updated November 19th, 2009 at 08:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I hate Thanksgiving except for the lazy time. He says it's different in the South, but it just seems like a bunch of overcooked mushy food to me.

I'm totally with you. I'm not sure if Virginia's southern enough, but I grew up there and Thanksgiving in my memory is the same turkey plus mushy food you get everywhere. I really don't like the 'standard' turkey meal -- too much work, too much fanfare, IMHO for the day. I'd rather go out for some good sake and sushi.
    I love thanksgiving dinner! The best part is that my daughters and I cook it together all day. My mom and I used to do the same so it brings happy memories!
    I think the leftovers make for some good eatin' too!
    Dude. Pumpkin pie. Dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    I'd rather go out for some good sake and sushi.
    Mr. Fort is not a fan. Just another reason he's in the doghouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    cook ... all day.
    Sorry, I lost you here. It's my lack of girly genes, I guess. Or else years of young children who don't eat interesting or exotic food.

But I'm glad you enjoy it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Dude. Pumpkin pie. Dude.
    That usually comprises my entire meal. I just eat pie on Thanksgiving -- pumpkin, apple, chocolate -- anything but mushy gross white food.
    Well I might add cooking that is supplemented with doses of chard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Well I might add cooking that is supplemented with doses of chard!
    That's one of the only things that makes cooking tolerable now!

Maybe Wolfy can cook for me and I'll clean his toilet. Or better yet, swim his races for him so he's not on toilet duty.
    Sorry you have sleep problems. You know, I remember once I was lying in bed thinking, I should really think about how long it takes to get to sleep. I mean, it really makes my wife crazy too and ... yawn... zzzzzzzzzzzzz..........
    Updated November 19th, 2009 at 06:30 PM by Speedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Sorry you have sleep problems. You know, I remember once I was lying in bed thinking, I should really think about how long it takes to get to sleep. I mean, it really makes my wife crazy too and ... zzzzzzzzzzzzz..........
    Well, after years of abuse, I'm attempting to combat the sleep demons (not with ambien). I'm like a sleep addict at the moment. But I'll always remain a night owl.

Aside from sleep issues caused by mommy-hood or hormonal fluctuations, I'm told that we are just bombarded with too much stimuli from too many sources with too much stress and this keeps the mind "awake."
    Re #2 - I'm with you. If you find a good head's down fly drill, post it. This is my albatross with fly.

Your title is redundant.

My wife complains of my ability to fall asleep within seconds of touching the pillow. Sometimes I make sleeping noises just to reinforce my skill and annoy her further, and it works. Annoying your spouse is 58% of the joy of marriage.

tdrop, my all time favorite training partner, says that if you are totally beat up you are doing something right and the taper and rest will be incredible and make it all worthwhile. I haven't gone as hard as I'm going now so when he said this it really clicked. I suspect the same can be said for you.

EMBRACE THE MUSH. Sake and sushi, good grief!

Speaking of the most beloved food holiday of the year, an indecent proposal has been made by me to the fairer half of the geek duo. More next week on that.
    Updated November 19th, 2009 at 06:47 PM by aquageek
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek

tdrop, my all time favorite training partner, says that if you are totally beat up you are doing something right and the taper and rest will be incredible and make it all worthwhile. I haven't gone as hard as I'm going now so when he said this it really clicked. I suspect the same can be said for you.
    That's what I'm hoping. I feel as though I've been training hard since Nationals (despite the lack of lactate tolerance sets ). Tomorrow is my last day of hard gym work and then I get to start slacking. The problem is that I only enjoy relative slacking for about a week, then I start going crazy.
    2. Jazz and I were wondering about drills to work on keeping the head down when one breaths in fly.
    Suggestions anyone?
    ~~~> don't breathe, or breathe to the side

3. I feel pretty tired and crappy in the water.
    ~~~~> rest up

4.STOP hot yoga during taper, unless it will helpyou find a wife

5.it's ok to lift close to meets
    just reduce weight, sets, & reps
    STOP any exercise that HURTS like a strain

6. Jimby HAS an upcoming article in Men's Health on the dark side of ambien?

7. I hate Thanksgiving except for the lazy time.
    The bright side is I will be in Pittsburgh over the holiday, so I will get to drag Jimby to the gym.
    ~~~> Work him

8. I want a mistress like Patrick's.
    I could use a wife with Mr. Fort being constantly AWOL lately.
    ~~~> you could use a wife
    get one or two

9. sorry about your My left shoulder

10. we're going to actually have to start swimming again
    Thanks Ande.

I liked my float, but at least we know how to kick!

Jim is researching and writing an article on ambien right now. He's also writing his article on the travails of the Idaho wilderness for a different magazine.

I do need a wife ... especially having had all these sick kids. I'm weary of it. If one wanted a wife, hot yoga is a good place to look for one. Jazz should try it out. Lots of cute skinny chicks in that room.
    running for exercise
    That just sounds terrible.
    If Jazz does hot yoga I'll swim the 200 fly naked.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    If Jazz does hot yoga I'll swim the 200 fly naked.
    He inquired about it! This might just be his incentive.

There are guys in the class too ... and lots of girls in yogakinis. I still look like a misfit in my regular workout gear. Last class, no lie, there was a guy in a speedo. No idea how I forgot to mention that in my blog ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Maybe Wolfy can cook for me and I'll clean his toilet. Or better yet, swim his races for him so he's not on toilet duty.
    One of his races was a 200
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    One of his races was a 200
    Well, I'm in better shape for it than him. And, uh, where is he this week after all his "amens"?

I used to swim the 2 back, 2 fly, 2 IM and 4 IM almost every USA meet as a kid. I'm sure I could somehow stumble through. I just choose to embrace the fact that, as a geezer, I get to swim 50s and be sprinticus.

(And I did swim a whole long 200 meter this summer without floatation! :-P)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Well, I'm in better shape for it than him. And, uh, where is he this week after all his "amens"?

I used to swim the 2 back, 2 fly, 2 IM and 4 IM almost every USA meet as a kid. I'm sure I could somehow stumble through. I just choose to embrace the fact that, as a geezer, I get to swim 50s and be sprinticus.

(And I did swim a whole long 200 meter this summer without floatation! :-P)
    I don't know if Paul's daughter would give you the same handicap she gives Paul. She has to spot him like 30 seconds right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast