View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Drylandpalooza, Fri., Nov. 20

Rate this Entry
by , November 20th, 2009 at 09:45 PM (4350 Views)
Had to spend the morning in my lil kid's 3rd grade classroom celebrating, blech, Thanksgiving. Since my kid is also against white mushy bland food, I brought in Subway for us to eat while other were forced to eat that dismal stuff. I think we were the envy of the table.

Afterward, I journeyed to the gym for the last of my big gym sessions, since taper (at least for the legs) starts tomorrow. I was feeling pretty energetic after yesterday's easy swim, so I went a bit dryland crazy. We'll see if I pay for it tomorrow.

Drylands:

Core:

broomstick twist, 1 x 25
side bends w/45 lb bar, 1 x 25
superman banana, 1 x 25
bicycles, 2 x 50
windshield wipers, 2 x 25
dead bugs on bosu, 2 25
back extensions w/25 lb plate, 3 x 15
elevated knee ins w/10 lb weight held by feet, 2 x 25


Weights/Core:

Dara yoga ball twist on cable machine, 60 x 2 x 15, each side
squat X press (from P90X) w/15 lb DBs, 2 x 25
one legged squats w/15 lb DBs, 1 x 10 each leg (forgot to do 2nd set)
overhead squats w/bar, 65 x 3 x 15
(LOVE these! So great for the core, but take a strong back)
narrow grip seated row, 70 x 2 x 10 fast
lying overhead tricep press, 50 x 1 x 10, 60 x 2 x 8
trap bar dead lift*, 135 x 2 x 5, 145 x 1 x 5, 155 x 1 x 3, 165 x 1 x 1, 175 x 1 x 1 (PR)

* I decided to use the trap bar that Jazz recommended: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html. I couldn't really tell if it was easier or harder than a regular bar. Might be easier on the back. I also wasn't sure what it weighed, but Jazz thought it was likely 45 lb. I was trying to PR, but regrettably did not bring my gloves. I think I could have lifted a bit more with them. Jazz somehow thinks I could get up to deadlifting 300. WTH?! I don't think I'll be doing that on my next phase of training.

Plyos:

twisting med ball slam, 2 x 25
box jumps on 18 inch box, 2 x 10 (jump on, jump off)
rock star jumps, 2 x 10
jump pull ups on box, 3 x 25**

** I decided to try jump pull ups instead of regular pull ups or chin ups so as not to strain my shoulder. They're still pretty hard when you do them in sets of 25 ... Here they are: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/jumping-pull-ups.wmv

Here's a CF discussion about them: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40552&page=2

RC:

ball on wall w/left hand, 4 x 25 w/2 lb med ball
external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side
prone scapular scrunches w/3 lb weights, 3 x 25
seated straight arm dips, 2 x 25
scapular wall slides, 2 x 25
3 position arm extensions, 2 x 15

P90X Ab Ripper:

Went home and did the P90X ab ripper 15 minute DVD. I'm getting my crunchy frog rhythm down.

In case you missed them before, the exercises are:

11 exercises--25 reps of each exercise in this order:
Knee ins
Bicycle-Same as in and outs but with a bicyle movement
Bicycle in reverse
Crunchy Frog- In and outs with your hands out at your sides bringing them in and wrapping your legs close to your chest
Fifer Scissors-lying on your back one leg hovering over the floor, one up and a 90degree angle both feet flexed and changing them scissor style
Hip Rock and Raise-sort of reverse crunches
Pulse-ups/Heels to Heaven-Reverse crunches with straight legs
V-up roll ups-Similar to a teaser
Obliques-side lying lifting legs and shoulder up at same time, kind of an oblique crunch
Leg climbs-lying on back one leg bent, one leg extended rolling up to top
Mason twist-Oblique twists done VERY quickly with legs raised up off the floor


Swim/SCM/Solo:

My little one was off on a sleepover. So after I was done driving teenagers around, I went to the pool and did an LSD recovery swim to loosen up.

Warm up:

800 variety swim, kick, drill

Drill set:

6 x 50 @ 1:15
odds = 25 back shooter + 25 Chaos lead arm body dophin drill
evens = 25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ

6 x 50 @ 1:15
odds = 25 side shooter + 25 Chaos lead arm body dolphin drill
evens = 25 nasty long breaststroke pullout + 25 shooter to 15 meters

100 EZ

Total: 1500 meters

hottub & steamroom

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm breaking my chard fast tonight and having some champagne for my anniversary later. I think the abstinence during the week and imbibing on the weekend is a good plan for me.

I'm going to stick with taking tomorrow off, even though I know I'll likely have next Thursday off as well. I just hope I don't have trouble finding a place to swim that's open next week. I may have to bring the power wheel to Pittsburgh even though Jimby is skrt of it.

Had a funny conversation with 5 teenagers in the car today heading to their second practice of the day. They were discussing various sets, including their coaches recent obsession with holding 8 seconds off your 100 free PR while going on 100s on a 1:15 interval. Yikes ... I mentioned I did 5 x 75 @ 3:00 yesterday and they all hooted and hollered. Then one of the girls asked me my 50 free time, and that shut them up. Good thing they didn't inquire about that pesky 200 free.

Submit "Drylandpalooza, Fri., Nov. 20" to Digg Submit "Drylandpalooza, Fri., Nov. 20" to del.icio.us Submit "Drylandpalooza, Fri., Nov. 20" to StumbleUpon Submit "Drylandpalooza, Fri., Nov. 20" to Google

Updated November 21st, 2009 at 12:23 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. tjrpatt's Avatar
    Is it mandatory that every pool in Fairfax County have a hottub?
  2. scyfreestyler's Avatar
    When it comes to eating at the elementary school, I would prefer to bring my own food as well.

    Also, I've always felt that the words abstinence and good should never be used in the same sentence.
  3. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Is it mandatory that every pool in Fairfax County have a hottub?
    Seems that all the ones I frequent do!

    Now, if only the Rec Centers could keep the water temp a couple degrees cooler. The gym pool -- forget it -- that thing is a sauna. But it compensates with a nice steam room.

    Don't you have any hottubs?
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    When it comes to eating at the elementary school, I would prefer to bring my own food as well.

    Also, I've always felt that the words abstinence and good should never be used in the same sentence.
    Touche!

    None of my kids have ever eaten cafeteria food save for my middle one occasionally liking "pizza day." They seem to have made some strides, offering fresh fruit on occasion. But, generally, yeah, big yuck! I spend scads of time packing lunches and snacks.
  5. aztimm's Avatar
    I wish the ASU pools had hot tubs...unfortunately they don't. I'm sure they'd be quite popular, maybe too popular with the college kids. My gym pool (indoors) has a hot tub; I brought my suits inside today thinking maybe I'd go in, but ran out of time.

    How long did that gym workout take? Seems you did tons of variety.
  6. qbrain's Avatar
    Deadlifts: I agree with Jazz, 300lbs for you is realistic.

    If the trap bar isn't protecting your shins, then you are not doing regular deadlifts right. My shins are regularly bruised from deadlifting, and while that is not a requirement, the bar traveling along the shin bone is pretty much a necessity if you are doing it right. Since you didn't mention the trap bar saving your shins, I had to wonder

    Very funny teen training story. Are you faster than they are?

    Deadlift video:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU"]YouTube- Mark Rippetoe: Intro to the Deadlift[/ame]
  7. Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    They were discussing various sets, including their coaches recent obsession with holding 8 seconds off your 100 free PR while going on 100s on a 1:15 interval.
    A pet peeve of mine is age group coaches who expect faster swimming without giving adequate rest for it. You can't get angry at the kids (tho of course they do) for not going fast enough when you don't give them enough rest for what you are asking. All you are doing is sending mixed messages.

    Low-rest intervals obviously have their place, and coaches should push their charges to work hard. But a swimmer can't go race-pace (or some other kind of "faster-than-usual" pace) just because you ask it. The NOVA coaches -- except Mark -- have a tendency to do this too.

    Of course, with teens, "best time" is such a moving target. Sometimes a best time is 6-months old and already out of date. Best times, or close to it, at the end of practice are not uncommon. Maybe it makes the coaches spoiled in a sense.
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I wish the ASU pools had hot tubs...unfortunately they don't. I'm sure they'd be quite popular, maybe too popular with the college kids. My gym pool (indoors) has a hot tub; I brought my suits inside today thinking maybe I'd go in, but ran out of time.

    How long did that gym workout take? Seems you did tons of variety.
    I was in the gym for about an hour and 20 minutes. I had planned to leave after an hour, but got a text from Mini Fort asking me to pick her up a bit later, so stayed and did more. I like variety. You do quite a bit of variety as well, especially now that you're adding the plyos. Are you still doing your planks?
    Updated November 21st, 2009 at 10:53 AM by The Fortress
  9. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Deadlifts: I agree with Jazz, 300lbs for you is realistic.

    If the trap bar isn't protecting your shins, then you are not doing regular deadlifts right. My shins are regularly bruised from deadlifting, and while that is not a requirement, the bar traveling along the shin bone is pretty much a necessity if you are doing it right. Since you didn't mention the trap bar saving your shins, I had to wonder

    Very funny teen training story. Are you faster than they are?

    Deadlift video:
    YouTube- Mark Rippetoe: Intro to the Deadlift
    No, you're right, it did save my shins. Since I hadn't done regular deadlifts in awhile, I forgot about that fact. The tip on the video about putting the bar above the ball of your foot is good for positioning.

    300? What in 5 years? I think that involves even more bulk!

    I am faster than many of the high school kids but only in certain events. 50 free would probably be my best high school event. I think I have more raw speed than some of the kids b/c of the way I train and because I lift. In terms of conditioning, I could not even begin to hang with them.
    Updated November 21st, 2009 at 12:21 PM by The Fortress
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    A pet peeve of mine is age group coaches who expect faster swimming without giving adequate rest for it. You can't get angry at the kids (tho of course they do) for not going fast enough when you don't give them enough rest for what you are asking. All you are doing is sending mixed messages.

    Low-rest intervals obviously have their place, and coaches should push their charges to work hard. But a swimmer can't go race-pace (or some other kind of "faster-than-usual" pace) just because you ask it. The NOVA coaches -- except Mark -- have a tendency to do this too.

    Of course, with teens, "best time" is such a moving target. Sometimes a best time is 6-months old and already out of date. Best times, or close to it, at the end of practice are not uncommon. Maybe it makes the coaches spoiled in a sense.
    Couldn't agree more. Most of the sets I hear about involve short rest. Only rarely do I hear that my kid did a set with ample rest.

    With teens, I think PBs are a moving target for the guys. Not as much for girls who can often plateau and get discouraged.

    And I've heard a lot of complaints about the suits being banned. Kids are swimming slower, and they liked the suits.
  11. aquageek's Avatar
    Our club doesn't allow 10/u to wear the suits, even with JO and/or Sect cuts so my daughter has never experienced the beauty of a tech suit swim. I'm hopeful they will be back in a few years when she can wear them. Until then, they shall remain an urban legend to her.

    I'm starting alkeehol free living in January.
  12. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    Our club doesn't allow 10/u to wear the suits, even with JO and/or Sect cuts so my daughter has never experienced the beauty of a tech suit swim. I'm hopeful they will be back in a few years when she can wear them. Until then, they shall remain an urban legend to her.

    I'm starting alkeehol free living in January.
    The kids who never wore them will definitely be happier with this season's times. Unfortunately for my kid and all her friends, they have worn them and known the joy.

    I drank a bit too much champagne last night and slept like crap after sleeping like a baby all week ...

    Very smart to wait until after the holidays!

    And, Geekity, you are totally screwed on your wager! I guess there is some dim hope that the 16 year old Jazzy won't last the entire 90 minutes in the heat, but I'd say you're clutching at straws at this juncture ... So start considering nekked 2 fly venues.
  13. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Fort, didn't you rep 8 at 135 on straight bar recently? Trap bar is a lot easier. Mid 200s very soon if you consistently work on max strength with it. Doing it at the beginning of a workout helps, too.

    For reference, I've done 500x1 (with raised handles, which is easier). I'm not twice as strong as you. And you're shorter.
  14. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Fort, didn't you rep 8 at 135 on straight bar recently? Trap bar is a lot easier. Mid 200s very soon if you consistently work on max strength with it. Doing it at the beginning of a workout helps, too.

    For reference, I've done 500x1 (with raised handles, which is easier). I'm not twice as strong as you. And you're shorter.
    Yeah, I think I did do 8 x 135 the last time I deadlifted. And, you're right, I did it in the second half of my workout. I just really need my lifting gloves. Or bigger hands to grip the bar(s) better. I'm probably underachieving again.

    I'm tired today after yesterday though ...
  15. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Fort, didn't you rep 8 at 135 on straight bar recently? Trap bar is a lot easier. Mid 200s very soon if you consistently work on max strength with it. Doing it at the beginning of a workout helps, too.

    For reference, I've done 500x1 (with raised handles, which is easier). I'm not twice as strong as you. And you're shorter.
    Do you just absolutely hate those Cross Fit jump pull ups?
  16. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Well, you've got meets coming up, so max strength probably isn't important. I do it for fun, mostly. High rep squats and deadlifts hurt. Singles are fun. If you want to work on max deadlift strength, remember not to do it too hard too often. It's easy to burn out on.
  17. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Do you just absolutely hate those Cross Fit jump pull ups?
    I remember doing those as a warm-up with my brother. Pull-ups are tough to do cold. Jumping into them gets you going.
  18. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Well, you've got meets coming up, so max strength probably isn't important. I do it for fun, mostly. High rep squats and deadlifts hurt. Singles are fun. If you want to work on max deadlift strength, remember not to do it too hard too often. It's easy to burn out on.
    Yeah, I'm pretty much done lifting with my meet Dec 12-13. I'll probably just do some core work and maybe light upper body work.

    I can see where singles would be more fun. But do you get the same "bang for your buck" as doing more reps that "hurt"?
  19. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    I remember doing those as a warm-up with my brother. Pull-ups are tough to do cold. Jumping into them gets you going.
    Hadn't thought of these as a warm up, but that's a good idea. CF shows them as a separate exercise. But if you do them correctly, they're still pretty hard. I think my heart rate was at its highest during my workout when I was doing these.
  20. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I can see where singles would be more fun. But do you get the same "bang for your buck" as doing more reps that "hurt"?
    Dunno. Suspect that anyone who pretends to know is only guessing. The "reasonable" thing to say is that you should do many different rep ranges. Either simultaneously or periodized.

    If I may get theoretical for a moment, it seems to me that heavier should be better for strength training. Like, always. Think of this: you lift weights all the time, even if you don't "lift weights." Running, walking, swimming, carrying groceries, playing piano, whatever. All of these involving contracting muscle against resistance.

    So how come not everyone is super buff and squatting 5 plates like funkyfish? What makes real strength training different from our daily activities? One thing is that strength training is harder. More pain. But running is hard, too, right? Distance swimmers push to failure for hours at a time every day, with only a moderate amount of strength to show for it.

    The real difference-maker seems to be the amount of resistance. Squatting in the ten-rep range is going to build leg strength more efficiently than riding a bike in the thousands-of-reps-range. Fatigue can be important here, too, but notice that even the type of fatigue changes. Less burning, more of the sensation that you are trying to move an immovable object.

    So let's picture (in our minds, I'm too lazy to actually draw this) a graph of load (x axis) versus strength-building-usefulness (y axis). We know that the relationship is positive as the graph starts out. Lifting 200 pounds is for a handful of reps is better than lifting 2 pounds for many reps. What do we suppose happens at the other end of the graph? Is there a point where it peaks and starts to trend downward? That seems like a denial of Occam's razor.

    The thing people tend to bring up as an argument for lower weights is volume. I see this weird variable where reps are multiplied by weight, and that's considered to be the "training work" or something. As in, do half as much weight for ten reps instead of one rep, and you've done five times as much "work." More work is a better strength training stimulus. Which is fine unless you think too hard about it. This model would predict that endurance activities are the best for strength training. This is because training work is derived from the physical equation for work: force multiplied by distance. Work is equivalent to energy. So what we're really saying is that ten reps at half the weight requires you to use five times as much energy. Well, what uses the most energy of all? Endurance training, of course. So a volume-based model would have to do better than that. More complex, I mean. And complexity means less likelihood of correctness. Not saying the general idea is necessarily wrong. Just trying to see through the fog a little.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast